Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 PM

12 posts, read 18,237 times

Advertisements

I'm a non-traditional college student and a writer. I'm considering a transfer to Minot State University. I'm interested to know if the area is writer friendly and by that, I mean literary cultural events such book and poetry readings by local writers, Writer's discussion groups as well as cafes or restaurants that don't mind someone walking in with a journal or laptop and hanging out for an hour or two for the cost of a value meal or over-priced cup of coffee.

Also, if anybody has any first or second hand information about the English department at MSU, I would be interested to hear it.

I'm from Michigan, so cold weather is not a negative factor in my decision, in fact it's a plus, after spending two semesters at a tiny college in the blast furnace of Northwestern Oklahoma. 105 degrees for weeks on end, I've had enough of that nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 02:17 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlongrifles View Post
I'm a non-traditional college student and a writer. I'm considering a transfer to Minot State University. I'm interested to know if the area is writer friendly and by that, I mean literary cultural events such book and poetry readings by local writers, Writer's discussion groups as well as cafes or restaurants that don't mind someone walking in with a journal or laptop and hanging out for an hour or two for the cost of a value meal or over-priced cup of coffee.
I would suspect not since Minot's a pretty blue collar town. It does have a small college, but I don't think you're gonna find much Bohemian, intellectual, foo-foo culture there. You'd probably be better off in Fargo and maybe Bismarck or Grand Forks in those regards. The Fargo-Moorhead area has a couple colleges and more college educated people in general, and its population is large enough to support some of what you're looking for. Bismarck doesn't have any significant colleges, but it is the state's capital so you'll find more college-educated people. Grand Forks has a significant college town component to it.

I think Fargo is probably your best bet within the state of North Dakota. The Fargo-Moorhead area has the state's largest population, so it's better able to support what you're looking for.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:19 PM

350 posts, read 570,365 times
I disagree. Minot has a very thriving arts community and I've seen some pretty eclectic readings/performances downtown in some of the restaurants. There is a decent sized local bookstore downtown that I'm pretty certain would host a reading or something of that nature, though I'm not involved in those things so I don't have first-hand advice for you. As far as large-scale interest in these things, I would agree with Bhaalspawn and say Minot isn't exactly a bohemian paradise, but there are enough people who like those things here that I think you would find some success.

On the college, I would guess people would be very open to those types of things, and I'd be shocked if the English department didn't host events in support of students. I know that there are cool events on campus like NOTSTOCK that is a celebration of arts on campus and in the community. There should be an article on last year's events on the MSU home page if I'm not mistaken, though you may need to dig a bit to find it in the news section.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:30 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
I disagree. Minot has a very thriving arts community and I've seen some pretty eclectic readings/performances downtown in some of the restaurants. There is a decent sized local bookstore downtown that I'm pretty certain would host a reading or something of that nature, though I'm not involved in those things so I don't have first-hand advice for you. As far as large-scale interest in these things, I would agree with Bhaalspawn and say Minot isn't exactly a bohemian paradise, but there are enough people who like those things here that I think you would find some success.

On the college, I would guess people would be very open to those types of things, and I'd be shocked if the English department didn't host events in support of students. I know that there are cool events on campus like NOTSTOCK that is a celebration of arts on campus and in the community. There should be an article on last year's events on the MSU home page if I'm not mistaken, though you may need to dig a bit to find it in the news section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota