Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 07:34 AM

7 posts, read 13,122 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a rural farm home in ND. One of our concerns is crop dusting drift. Does anyone here have any insight into whether this is a problem in the highly farmed areas of the state?

Thank you ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 02:14 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
Not really. Honestly.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 PM

138 posts, read 156,196 times
I live in a farming area out in the western part of the state. Not an issue here.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:39 PM

705 posts, read 506,362 times
I live out in the bush. Depends on what the farmer is growing and the weather. If I see the spray rig out in the field by my place, I leave. Same when I see the plane. I also roll up my windows and watch which way the wind is blowing the drift if I’m out driving. There is a reason there is a very high cancer rate in farm country, it’s all the chemicals that are being used on your food being grown out here.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I live out in the bush. Depends on what the farmer is growing and the weather. If I see the spray rig out in the field by my place, I leave. Same when I see the plane. I also roll up my windows and watch which way the wind is blowing the drift if I’m out driving. There is a reason there is a very high cancer rate in farm country, it’s all the chemicals that are being used on your food being grown out here.
Actually I could not find any data showing higher rates in ag country. Where did you see this?

Old 10-19-2020, 10:52 AM

542 posts, read 448,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakybucket View Post
Actually I could not find any data showing higher rates in ag country. Where did you see this?
CDC found higher rates of cancer in rural areas in USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...urban%20areas.

It will be based on the individual next to you and the company they hire. You also might want to research the number of lawsuits or complaints filed against drift to get a better idea. Another strategy is to select farm land that borders either state or federal land because usually they don't spray.

There will be "some" drift regardless of the care the farmer or company takes because of the nature of air bound particles in the wind. Read up on Dicamba Herbicide produced by non-company sources and strategize accordingly.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
CDC found higher rates of cancer in rural areas in USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...urban%20areas.

Actually the article says the opposite. From the article ...

• While overall cancer incidence rates were somewhat lower in rural areas (442 cases per 100,000 persons) than in urban areas (457 cases per 100,000 persons), incidence rates were higher in rural areas for several cancers, including those related to tobacco use such as lung cancer and those that can be prevented by cancer screening such as colorectal and cervical cancers.
  • While rural areas have lower incidence of cancer than urban areas, they have higher cancer death rates. The differences in death rates between rural and urban areas are increasing over time.

I think this has more to do with rural health care access than chemical exposure.

The Dicamba info was useful thanks.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakybucket View Post
I'm looking at a rural farm home in ND. One of our concerns is crop dusting drift. Does anyone here have any insight into whether this is a problem in the highly farmed areas of the state?

Thank you ...
Lots of variables here and too much to expect anything more than anecdotal information. Off the top of my head, aerial spray drift depends on type of chemical being sprayed, wind speeds and direction, pump pressure, height of flight, nozzle size but mostly the adherence of the applicator to follow pesticide labling.

BTW, my tiny hobby farm is on the Texas South Plains in the middle of thousands of acres of cotton, a very highly treated crop. I worry more about coyotes taking my barn cats than local pesticide use and I'm a worry wart.

My recommendation can only be that, anyone who has concerns about local pesticide use, should never move to a large farming area.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:53 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"BTW, my tiny hobby farm is on the Texas South Plains in the middle of thousands of acres of cotton, a very highly treated crop. I worry more about coyotes taking my barn cats than local pesticide use and I'm a worry wart.

My recommendation can only be that, anyone who has concerns about local pesticide use, should never move to a large farming area."

Yep.

My home in Yuma, AZ was surrounded by farm land, right up to my 1/2 acre lot line. Lettuce, cotton, broccoli, cauliflower, you name it....all using aerial application of pesticides/herbicides. I could sit outside and watch them strategically apply whatever they were carrying, without affecting my citrus trees/lawn/garden.
The applicators are professionals that have to abide by strict fly/no fly regulations and are acutely aware of the consequences for a mistake in judgement. On top of being professional, they are aerial acrobats, watching them negotiate the power lines around the fields was a treat.
As stated above, you will have more to fear from 2 legged and 4 legged critters.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Yep.

My home in Yuma, AZ was surrounded by farm land, right up to my 1/2 acre lot line. Lettuce, cotton, broccoli, cauliflower, you name it....all using aerial application of pesticides/herbicides. I could sit outside and watch them strategically apply whatever they were carrying, without affecting my citrus trees/lawn/garden.
The applicators are professionals that have to abide by strict fly/no fly regulations and are acutely aware of the consequences for a mistake in judgement. On top of being professional, they are aerial acrobats, watching them negotiate the power lines around the fields was a treat.
As stated above, you will have more to fear from 2 legged and 4 legged critters.

Regards
Gemstone1
Yuma has some of the prettiest cotton in the U.S. I believe it is all "picked" vs "stripped" as ours is here on the South Plains?

I agree that aerial applicators tend to very professional probably due to the high cost of their equipment, the State & Federal restrictions under which they have to operate and the dangers involved in their work. I know it is very difficult to find one over the age of 30 who doesn't have body scars from their work. All that I have met have been aerial cowboys for sure but they have been very professional.

HPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota