Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 PM

151 posts, read 460,271 times

Advertisements

I want to start this topic on mineral rights in North Dakota, especially western areas. How do people obtain them and what sites offer the most information in purchasing land with these rights? Let's get started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:45 PM

151 posts, read 460,271 times
Default Why is no one responding?

Is this an offensive topic? This state has the largest supply of oil in the country and it appears that this state will see an explosion of jobs and opportunities.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM

979 posts, read 3,671,665 times
I guess I for one am not sure what you are looking to talk about as far as mineral rights??? Land owners either own the land, the mineral rights or both. As farmers sold their farms to surrounding land owners, they chose to retain the mineral rights that were under their land they once owned. Either you own the mineral acres or you don't...not much more to it than that. If you are wondering if we think land owners who don't own the mineral acres UNDER the land they now own deserve the mineral acres also? No. They knew when they purchased the land, that the land would not come with the mineral acres underneath. As far as how do you buy mineral acres? Good luck...I don't think too many families are willing to sell their mineral acres. You would probably need to find a family with few living relatives, or people who have moved away, and no longer have any interest in their old homesteads left behind by previous families. You could check with each County Seat and see if they have any information on mineral acres for sale maybe? But most people do not SELL their mineral acres, they just lease them to oil companies in hopes they might drill a well.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM

979 posts, read 3,671,665 times
I found something interesting concerning mineral acre rights.
North Dakota Century Code Section 38-18.1-02, basically if a current land owner does not own the mineral acres underneath their land (because the mineral acres were owned by previous land owners) there is some sort of 20year period that if the mineral acres are not activly file with the county, they could be bought by someone else. Not necessarily the property owner, but maybe landment or oil companies. They research to see if the mineral acres are owned or leased, etc... if they are deemed abandoned, anyone can submit to purchase. I may not be totally correct on this, but something to that affect...so land owners who do not own the mineral acres underneath their land...there is hope!!!! I noticed in the Williston Herald, they do post notices in their classifieds that mineral acres have lapsed, and the owners are given so much time to come forward and re-file to retain ownership...but many times what happens is families move away, die off, and distant relatives are not aware that they were gifted their grandparents, or relatives mineral acres after the farm or land was sold off.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 11,955 times
I would like to thank you for the info. that you are posting. I have gain some knowledge from you, about mineral rights & mineral acres. I just received my rights from my grandfather who passed back in 1976. I really knew nothing about all of this, just bit & peices when a oil company contacted our family. we are on track now. Thank you once again.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:21 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,559,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGerardo View Post
Is this an offensive topic? This state has the largest supply of oil in the country and it appears that this state will see an explosion of jobs and opportunities.
Forgive me for straying into N.D. territory. But mineral rights are a very hot topic in Oklahoma/Texas. They are drilling left and right for both natural gas and oil.

The sad part of the story is that the oil rigs that were abandoned years ago are being bought by individuals as well as oil companies. And our water is suffering terribly due to unethical practices of blasting salt water into abandoned wells, polluting grazing land and waterways for cattle, etc.

While I was at the County court house, we saw people writing down the names of ALL the landowners by unknown oil company's. *(They wouldn't tell us who they worked for.)
People are being approached by oil companies for as much as $100/acre just to survey land, and many 80 acre lots here have 3 or more oil rigs on them.

It is a mixed blessing if you ask me.

My advice mirrors Roloff1976, Don't sell your mineral rights.

As to the OP question, how to obtain them? I would think people retain them through family ties. We have the Oklahoma Corporation Commission for our questions, which is a State agency to oversee the drilling operations. I would think the OP could direct his/her questions to your state agency.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 18,542 times
I have a percentage of mineral rights for around 600 acres which is surrounded by active oil fields. The lease was just renewed for considerable more than last time and this time for 3 yrs. The old one wasnt supposed to expire utill next year but weve gotten our checks. Now they have "staked"? the property, what does this mean exactly? Are they planning on drilling?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,750,299 times
Staking is the first step. The landmen need to put together what is called a stake and permit package for the state showing everything has been properly done to form a unit and drill the well.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 11,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodygirlflorida View Post
I would like to thank you for the info. that you are posting. I have gain some knowledge from you, about mineral rights & mineral acres. I just received my rights from my grandfather who passed back in 1976. I really knew nothing about all of this, just bit & peices when a oil company contacted our family. we are on track now. Thank you once again.
We have been contacted by an oil company about mineral rights on property that was in our family more than 50 years ago. The property was sold but the mineral rights were retained by the seller - our great grandfather. We did not even know about the mineral rights until we were cohtacted. Do you think the oil company can drill on the land and not pay us? We don't own the land. We are not even sure we own the mineral rights. The oil company says we do. How do we find out for sure?

Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,750,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbagd View Post
We have been contacted by an oil company about mineral rights on property that was in our family more than 50 years ago. The property was sold but the mineral rights were retained by the seller - our great grandfather. We did not even know about the mineral rights until we were cohtacted. Do you think the oil company can drill on the land and not pay us? We don't own the land. We are not even sure we own the mineral rights. The oil company says we do. How do we find out for sure?
An oil company is not going to come and pay you thousands of dollars to lease you if you don't own the rights. They have people who they pay to determine who owns what. If you want you can request a copy of the deed where your great grandfather reserved the minerals. It doesn't matter who owns the land when you drill only who owns the minerals as that is what is being extracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota