Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot7880 View Post
End of March? Uh-uh. During March, Fargo gets a fair share of days with highs in the 40s and 50s.
His post was made January 19th.... Where are you getting the end of March?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,741 times
I just moved here and everything seemed fine but now I noticed every time I stop at the park with my toddler people leave. I ask someone if they have change for a dollar in the mall for a riding toy and she looked at me in disgust and kept walking. I clearly saw she heard me and it was clear to see why I was asking for change. In another incident at the park a little girl that she was afraid of my daughter and her and her brother ran away from her and would not play with her thankfully she's not old enough to understand. The little girl told her no one wants to play with you and she told her brother not to let her touch him. My oldest is visiting her father for the summer but I'm thinking I may let her stay and I will be moving next year.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,909 times
Go back and read what he wrote.

A big plus: This time of year you do not have to use your freezer. Just leave your frozen food in the trunk of the car. they will stay frozen until at least the end of March.

Fargo does not stay below freezing through the end of March. End of February, maybe.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:12 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia5226 View Post
I just moved here and everything seemed fine but now I noticed every time I stop at the park with my toddler people leave. I ask someone if they have change for a dollar in the mall for a riding toy and she looked at me in disgust and kept walking. I clearly saw she heard me and it was clear to see why I was asking for change. In another incident at the park a little girl that she was afraid of my daughter and her and her brother ran away from her and would not play with her thankfully she's not old enough to understand. The little girl told her no one wants to play with you and she told her brother not to let her touch him. My oldest is visiting her father for the summer but I'm thinking I may let her stay and I will be moving next year.
I don't live in ND nor do I know why what you say is happening (if it is indeed occurring) might be so but perhaps one's perceptions (since they are influenced by personal bias and experience) are not always valid - though it may seem real to you if you 'expect' certain things to happen. I am however very sorry if they did indeed happen for the reasons I suspect you believe they did.

I hate to say it but I think that unfortunately the BLM movement has done more harm than good for those (of any colour) who just want to live their lives and be a regular part of society - not be viewed as different. I am guessing .. since you didn't state it, that you feel 'different' perhaps because your skin colour is not the norm where you are? If I am wrong, I apologize of course.

White people may indeed be very cautious now about black people even if they never were before - because who knows what is in someone's heart and mind unless one knows them well already? As an older white woman myself, I can tell you that I sense there is a real change in race relations recently - and that makes me cautious and while I still smile at everyone and try to help them out, I am also aware of possible problems if I just act as I would like to normally and not even 'see' colour (which personally I don't give a rat's behind about - we cannot help what colour we are .. we can help 'who' we are otherwise however). When I travel for instance, long distances and long hours in my car and have to stop late at night for gas in some areas that may look a bit dicey to me because the people hanging around the door are all very large young black men, instinct tells me that I better be cautious. How can I know if they have a 'chip on their shoulder' and I will look like an easy target - with so much in the news about beatdowns, etc. Yes, a white person 'could' do that too - they do do it, I know .. but, lately it feels as though the hatred in the air is tangible - and yes, of course, that is scary to someone alone in the dark.

However, back to your plight (which doesn't seem to currently involve the threat of violence at all) ... if you were white and those same things you talked about happened to you, you might just brush them off as people being a bit unfriendly or perhaps even decide that you could approach things a different way yourself since you are new and don't know the local etiquette, etc. and .. the children .. well, kids can be mean or stupid or silly or what have you .. and still be just kids doing what kids do with no prejudice whatsoever. You get to choose how you see things - because often those things are not what you may perceive them to be at first glance. Be cautious and 'prepared' if you need to but don't write things off .. just in case they really aren't as you are seeing/supposing they are.

No matter where you run, you probably can't hide unless you hide in the midst of a crowd that is just like you. You can choose to adapt and prove your own worth where you are .. give it some more time and try to understand that it may not be about 'you' per se .. or your child .. or you can move away again. Just leaving ND won't really help in my opinion. In fact, you could do a lot of good (even if your perceptions were right) by staying and showing people they have nothing to fear. Be who you want them to be.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:43 PM

537 posts, read 449,874 times
We are a family of color that relocated from another state. So far we have not experienced anything like what you mention. I guess people possibly will always make comments behind our back.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:02 PM

11 posts, read 14,109 times
Default Moving to ND

I am also a Black person who has lived in Florida my entire life but I am considering moving to east South Dakota. I have never lived on my own and have never seen snow before. I plan on getting a job and moving there 8 mths ahead of time to get use to the way of life there and to qualify for in state tuition, the school I will be attending will take a year to complete. So, in total I will be there for 2 years. However, if all goes well I would like to stay for a couple more. Keep in mind, the only thing I love about Florida was the weather and my family.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:25 PM

26 posts, read 14,678 times
Police arrested more than 100 people in North Dakota, who were protesting against the construction of the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline, which they say would threaten the regional water supply and destroy sacred sites. Police lined up in a row, driving out the protesters, who had been camping at the site since April. In response, the protesters burned tires and other objects.
Who is right - The government or the people?

Old 10-30-2016, 05:38 PM

15 posts, read 30,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanys View Post
Police arrested more than 100 people in North Dakota, who were protesting against the construction of the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline, which they say would threaten the regional water supply and destroy sacred sites. Police lined up in a row, driving out the protesters, who had been camping at the site since April. In response, the protesters burned tires and other objects.
Who is right - The government or the people?
Bit of both, of course. In this case, I'm gonna say the govt is more in the right than the protrsters, but it's more complicated than either side makes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota