Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 37,922 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am 53, I live alone, and I have very poor vision. I can still walk and bike but can not drive. I very much want to leave Florida, where I have lived all my life, because it is too crowded, expensive, hot, and money-driven. From reading other posts on this site I see it is possible to adjust from the heat of the south to the cold of the north and I love the sounds of the people in North Dakota. Is it possible for a low visioned person to survive up there in a city? I live on my social securty income and would not need to get to a job or get kids off to school so I'm thinking on the worst days I can simply stay home. I'd feel better in a condo setting instead of a single family home with a yard to maintain and snow to shovel. What city should I be considering if I am in need of an affordable small in-town condo and public transit? Thank you in advance for any time you are willing to take to help me out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2006, 04:52 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,979 times
I wish you the best of luck. But from the cold natured, thick southern accented country girl, I will have to stay where I am, hurricanes and all. But I certainly don't blame anyone for trying to better themselves. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
I currently work and live in the Grand Forks area....and from what you describe I would strongly suggest you to check out Bismarck. Any of the "larger" North Dakota cities would be fine as Minot, Bismarck, Fargo and Grand Forks have in town condos with all maintenance taken care of and city bus or dial a ride services. The reason for Bismarck, is that out of the four it is the warmest of North Dakota cities in winter with less snow (normally) and often warmup to above 32F for a day or two in January while areas to the north and east stay in the deep freeze. Wind is a problem all of ND in the winter with low wind chills at times. Summers are warm but with low humidity most of the time with many days of sun. If you dont mind going out in cold weather, then I would suggest a move up here. Very safe and "boring" as some would say. Prices are reasonable too out in Bismarck generally a bit under Grand Forks and Fargo prices for places to live.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Thank you!!

I am thrilled to get such a helpful reply!! I have been keeping track of Bismarck happenings for about a year by Google news alerts in my email and the more I hear the more I like the sounds of that city. It seems to me it is a big city with all the amenities one would expect to find but a crime rate lower than that of the tiniest town in Florida. Also I had looked at condo prices using Realtor.com and see that they are affordable and some even include heat in their monthly fees. Again, I thank you for your input!!!!

Old 07-05-2006, 01:23 PM

Many places do include heat in the monthly fees....it depends though. A place you want to own...will probably have you pay for all utilities...versus renting. But it will vary for sure....so make sure to check it out and look over buying or renting/leasing a place. I have been to Bismarck a few times and it is a very clean and nice community with very low crime as all North Dakota towns have. Of course, you always got to be a bit vigilient. But it is not uncommon for me to leave my car running in the winter when dashing into the grocery store for a few minutes....and leaving the car unlocked. I have never had any issues about this and always felt safe. But again there is always a bad apple or two out there....but just less of them in North Dakota as the population is less. Bismarck is growing quite a lot in the past few years....second to Fargo. Fargo is also a nice place...but is getting a bit big now. I would recommend Bismarck over the other ND cities per my earlier note. I think it will suit you fine....that is remember it can get very cold up here with wind...though Bismarck will have shorter stretches of it than Grand Forks (where I live) and Fargo.

Also...some places do have undeground heated parking for condo's....not a lot but some do. Most all buildings where a lot of cars are parked outside offer plug in units for your car. If you have a car and it will be parked outside long stretches without running it, it will be advisable to have a heater plug installed in the car which you can then plug into a outlet to keep the oil from getting too hard as cold weather will do it.

I love it up here and hope you can move safely. Everyone is friendly and willing to help you out. Just ask...as most people up here tend to be independent minded and may not jump at your door to say hello.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:38 PM

I re-read your first post Etsyban and noticed about no car...so I aplogize for including reference to car in my last post.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:46 AM

21 posts, read 145,630 times
im from duluth, so partial to it. im going to have to reccomend fargo/ moorhead or bismarck just put on another sweater, alot easier than all that air conditioning stuff. i honestly dont know anyone with air conditioning in theor house and i love the weather here.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Air conditioning

I dislike air conditioning - it is a necessary evil here though. There just seems to be something inheritanty wrong with having all the windows shut and a machine feeding air into your house when the skies are blue and the clouds are white and the sun is shining. Now if it's blowing cold and snowing and you have your house closed up and the heat on then that is acceptable to me. Also - back to hurricanes - I want to live in a place where, when the weather is going to be bad, the authorities tell everyone to STAY HOME. Not to GET OUT like they tell us here when hurricanes threaten!

Old 08-15-2006, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 39,233 times
In Minot, housing is cheap, there are plenty of retirement villages, condos, assisted living facilities, apartments to choose from. There is also a public transportation. Minot Commission on Aging runs a transportation bus system, so does Souris Basin Transportation. Both are scheduled busses, and the Souris Basin Transportation is for special needs riders such as yourself. The City of Minot also has a wonderful public transportation system.

The cost of living in Minot is even less than Bismarck, Grand Forks or Fargo.
Churches are also wonderful at helping parishioners with transportation and whatever else you might need help with.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,831 times
Default go further west...

Estyban: have you considered further west? Montana? Wyoming? Before you move, take a look: warmer in the winter, less humid is summer, far more scenic... I moved many years ago - at least consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota