Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 08:05 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times

Advertisements

Well, the picnic basket (that IS a laundry basket!) is packed, I want to go on a picnic tomorrow, but don't know where to go!!
I would love a stream with some waterfalls, possibly a lake with rowboat rentals, and definitely picnic tables and BBQ grills.
Any ideas?:
I have been reading on Rickets Glenn State Park and Dingmans Falls. Can't really get much info as to whether there is a picnic facility at any of the Dingmans falls. Ricketts Glenn is a litle far, but I will go if it's worth the ride.
Any Suggestions?
Nothing too rugged now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,255 times
Ricketts Glen will not disappoint. There are picnic facilities, but they are not by the falls. If you can swicth from a basket to a backpack, I'd say do the full Falls Trail. It is a loop, and when you get to the bottom of the falls, your halfway point, picnic on the large flat rocks by the waterfalls. That's usually my lunch spot. It will give you a much need boost of energy for the ascent back up the falls.
If you're a seasoned hiker, it should be about 1-1/2 hours to that spot once you start the trail.
Although it is a very well manicured trail, it is really not for someone who does not have average-->good physical ability. Parts are difficult, as you are ascending hundreds of feet alongside the falls.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I haven't been to Dingmans Falls in 2-3 years, but I don't recall any picnic tables and such.
Child's Park, which is a few miles from Dingmans Falls, has many picnic spots, some covered, and I think there are grills. No rowboats but it does have a stream and many falls; it's an easy hike to see all the falls.
I haven't been to Ricketts Glen but I have a coworker who goes every year with her family for a week and loves it. That may be your best bet.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the responses, I think we will do Ricketts Glenn, but I think the Falls Rail will be too much, it says it is 7 1/2 miles long! My hubby and I are bringing 3 teenage girls. I'm really not in shape, I'm gonna try the Evergreen Trail, and when we are done, we will re-park our car by the beach and picnic there. Does that sound do-able?
Does anyone know if the parking lots get real crowded, will it be possible to move the car around 11:00 AM?

Old 06-23-2007, 11:22 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
You could also try Promised Land State Park next time. I don't know if there is a waterfall, but there's lots to do there.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:38 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,255 times
Parking close to the trails gets packed early. But, if you get there early, hike the trail, and then move your car to the Lake Jean parking/picnic area, you won't have any problem. There should be parking spots in that area open all day.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Well, the picnic basket (that IS a laundry basket!) is packed, I want to go on a picnic tomorrow, but don't know where to go!!
I would love a stream with some waterfalls, possibly a lake with rowboat rentals, and definitely picnic tables and BBQ grills.
Any ideas?:
I have been reading on Rickets Glenn State Park and Dingmans Falls. Can't really get much info as to whether there is a picnic facility at any of the Dingmans falls. Ricketts Glenn is a litle far, but I will go if it's worth the ride.
Any Suggestions?
Nothing too rugged now
There is a picnic beach and a waterfalls at Hickory Run State park.......that is not very far from you. You can cook at the beach there is plenty of tables...for a weekend you may want to bring a portable grill.......the beach is wonderful and the kids go and search for pollywogs by the dam area. To venture to the falls you can plan that on your way out.........
You will see a sign as you drive in to the beach area......it will say Hawk Falls there is a small parking spot just before the overpass......You can walk down there on before you head home to see it. Plus, you can take the kids to Boulder Field to see that enormous field of boulders and how it was formed.
( PS the park has listed that after July 1st it will close the beach area to do new baths, food stands, and re arrange the parking area ...so don't go after the first without calling first for the lake anyhow)

Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Default Beltzville

There is numerous places to picnic at Beltzville Lake......
Great beach.........you can RENT your boat there to go in.....
I even think I saw pontoons to rent.
There is a falls, it is down one of the finger coves....and a small hike.
It is quite nice there for boating, swimming and for a picnic...
Looks like your basket will be filled for weeks with places to go and things to do..........thats Pa for ya!!! We love the outdoors............

Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,255 times
We used to love Seven Tubs when we lived in the area.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:31 PM

Wow!! Now I don't feel so guilty for buying a new cooler today! I told my husband of my plans, we hardly ever make the time to go anywhere, I just told him"If we don't just go, we'll never get anywhere!" We are looking forward to a day of relaxation. I have so much packed, we could go for a week! Even got the netted bug hats...the teenage girls will love them!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I will probably try every one!!!!!!!!!

We didn't have much when we were kids, but we took a lot of picnic in the summer and we always had a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania