Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:28 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,456,159 times

Advertisements

I think we should send a buncha Australians to counter-picket them!!

Or how's 'bout 2-3 hundred drag queens???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cN2pB3MCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
I know the Westboro folks did not show up in Pittson (they are probably very lucky).

But I just read this despicable news about them:

Protesters from a Kansas church who have gained attention through picketing at the funerals of fallen military servicemen are now turning their attention to protesting at the funerals of children to retaliate for their tires being slashed at a McAlester serviceman's funeral last week.

Members of Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas will be in Burneyville in southern Oklahoma today. That's where a funeral is being held for eight-year-old Jalen Wolfe, who died in an accident at the Love County Fairgrounds last week.

On the WBC website, members say they are protesting because of the vandalism they suffered over the weekend while protesting at the funeral of McAlester serviceman Jason McCluskey.

They say quote "the Lord curses them by killing Oklahoma's children and casting them into Hell." Furthermore, their website reads "Thank God For More Dead Children In Oklahoma!".

In addition to today's funeral, the protestors are scheduled to return to Owasso Thursday to protest at the funeral of Melissa Hanslovan of Collinsville, who died Sunday after a one-car crash over the weekend.

Someone is going to put a bullet in one of these freaks.. If I was on the jury, I would not find the shooter guilty.
While I don't agree with violence, I am shocked that this hasn't happened already.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 AM

889 posts, read 2,576,031 times
How come someone in the baptist church hierarchy doesn't rein in the leash on these mutts?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
They are independent of any church AFAIK.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
How come someone in the baptist church hierarchy doesn't rein in the leash on these mutts?
Baptist churches generally don't have hierarchies. Baptist churches are typically locally run by individual churches...which is why Baptist churches can be very different from one church to the next. Some have very little in common with each other.

Plus, most Baptists tend to be politically conservative and patriotic, making these Westboro clowns an anomaly.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Baptist Churches are congregational in polity as opposed to episcopal. Episcopal is a denomination but I do not mean it that way. "Episcopos" in Greek meaning Bishop.

Churches having bishops include Methodist, Roman Catholic, Episcopalian, and Lutheran. Also all Eastern Orthodox Churches.

Congregationalist based sects may belong to an association or a conference - Such as the Southern Baptist Conference.

But Westboro is essentially a loose canon. They answer to no one. They bought a building, put up a sign and called it a "church"
I know that this is amazing to many people, particularly to Roman Catholics.
They do not even need to attend a seminary in order to be a minister. Churches can ordain their own. Some do not even go to college.
Some of these sects do not want their seminaries to be accredited. They think God alone accredits it. I am not for or against this but my church does not operate this way, although I do know of ethical churches that do.
But as I said with out checks and balances there are a lot of crazy churches who answer to no one but themselves. They refuse even to be in an association or conference.

I am happy that Westboro was not able to ruin this soldier's funeral.
I would encourage all residents of NEPA to join the facebook group that seeks to revoke their tax exempt charter!

THAT is what everyone should do.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM

\Thanks for the hilarious link George!
Has anyone here seen Bruno und der gay converter?
That's really funny too. It was on HBOs Da Ali G show, ith Sasha Baron Cohen of Borat fame!
You'd like it, its along the same lines but even more risque.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
This is definitely an issue that can unite both liberals conservatives and those in between.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:47 AM

I so agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania