Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:13 PM

29 posts, read 116,369 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,

First things first, our family has a job offer in Parsippany, NJ but I don't want to live in NJ. The property taxes, infringements on personal freedoms guarenteed by the Constitution, housing cost, etc. does not make it an attractive place to live.

I was told that Eastern PA is the place to be.

That just leaves the commute. 206 to 15 to 80. 51.3 miles.

How horrible would this commute be in the "Real world" with rush hour traffic?

Also, any thoughts on Stroudsburg/E. Stroudsburg vs. Milford would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin "Any other suggestions will be gladly accepted."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,611 times
I'm a Long Island,New Yorker looking to building in Pike County. Have been to both Milford and Stroudsburg several times. I think Milford has a much nicer feel to it than Stroudsburg. It feels like a small town. It has quaint shops and a nice main street. We stayed at the Dimmick Inn and it felt like sleeping over your grandmother's house. Stroudsburg feels a little more like a large town/city. It's rather congested at times and very built up.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:03 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
I get a headache just thinking about commuting from PA to Parsippany, but maybe you like highway rushhour traffic.
Stroudsburg might be a tiny bit closer to Parsippany; IMO Milford is a much nicer town, but I like small towns. From either town, the commute will take a over an hour, but I couldn't say exactly how much over an hour.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,952 times
Default Milford, PA

I moved from NYC to Milford, PA 4 years ago. I typically make the drive from Milford to NYC in about 1 & 1/2 hours, though I do my best to avoid rush hour.
I would guess the commute to Parsippany could be done in an hour, depending on traffic. Milford's a great place to live. Friends who have moved from the East Stroudsburg area say that the schools are much better in Milford, and that gangs and drugs had become a problem in the East Stroudsburg area, in their opinion.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:16 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,573,839 times
I don't think that the commute will be bad at all. Just avoid the rush hour!~

Old 11-27-2006, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 15,438 times
Default hey

I know a guy that commuted from Dingmans to Hopatcong everyday, he seemed to have no problem doing that. I also have friends that commute from Bushkill to Newton. Milford to Parsippany may require a little extra time, but it depends what part of Parsippany you are talking about. Parsippany starts at exit 38 on 80 and goes all the way to exit 53. you can make the commute from Stroudsburg to Parsippany in 40 minutes with smooth traffic.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,733 times
I live in Milford/Dingmans area, and commute to Newark NJ 5 days a week.
my drive time is 1h 30m avg coming home from Newark,
(leaving newark at 6pm) and arrive home around 7:30

I live in a gated development off 739 called Conashaugh Lakes, which is across the road from Sunrise Lakes
2 very popular and populated developments in the Milford/Dingmans area.

I moved here about 1 year ago for the same reasons.
Almost a year later here is what I learned.

1. I hate/love deer
hate them when I see them on 739 and Im driving,
love them when chill out in my front yard.

2. You will really know what fresh air is when you live here.

3. You'll learn just how much you hate gyspy moth caterpillars

4. At night, you see SOOOOO many more stars in the sky, its amazing.
since most developments dont have streetlights

5. You find road rage building when you get stuck behind the slowpoke on the long single lane road home,
and your in the last 30 minutes of your 1h30 minutes ride.

6. Downtown Milford proper is nice, The entire town is old and rich with history,
I still visit with my wife and we check out all the little shops, pretty cool stuff.
But the town is jammed with tourists on Fridays and all weekend during summer and season changes,
try getting home after work with tourists in your way.

7. I looked in Stroudsburg for a few months before looking in the Milford Dingmans area,
and yes, I have noticed the schools are better.

8. Bears eat your garbage, and can open anything you put it in.
Dont put it out till the truck is almost here to pick it up,
or hopefully you have a central compactor in a fenced in area that you drop off your trash at.
I have only seen 2 bears in the year I've been here.

9. Septic and Well for utilities are not as scary as they may sound.

10. Ticks, are no joke up here, get those pellets they sell in 50lb bags at home depot and Lowes,
spread them around your property and you should be ok.

11. The nearest and best dunkin donuts , is on Rt.15 just past the Yetters Diner intersection. (Rt206 and Rt15)
I've heard the bagel station in sparta, just before the train tracks has the best bagel and egg sammiches.
but getting out of their parking lot is like russian roulette during morning rush hour.

12. To sum it all up (I could go on and on)
I like my house, I like having peace and quiet at home.
I like fresh air, and I like taxes that are a 1/3rd of what they would be in NJ.

My biggest gripe is my drive, its closer to 1h45m in the morning going into newark NJ, and 1h30m coming home each day.

Here are the roads I take.
Rt739 (in PA) to the Dingmans Bridge (god I wish they had ezpass)
Anohter side note: you will learn to HATE tourists that want to make nice with bridge toll collectors, while all you want to do is get home already.
You'll see what I mean one day

again,
Rt739, Dingmans Bridge, then right going South onto Rt15, Take it all the way down to Rt80,
Then Route 80 to Rt 280 and into wonderful Newark.

Rt 15 gets backed up near the traffic lights in Lafayette, then backup again where you get to the last few miles in Sparta before dumping out onto Rt80.
Rt80, Ohhhh Rt80 every day, and literally every day, some moron has an accident on that road and every day, my usual 1h30m right turns into 2 hours, easily.

Rt.80 Eastbound, like clockwork, every day, is backed up where you get off for Rt287. Once past 287 it smoothes out a bit.

Looking back, if I could do it all over again, I would get a closer job, my ride in sucks because I work far, if I had a closer job (which would pay less) my life would be peachy.

I think I said way to much, but I hope you gleam something useful out of it all.

Feel free to ask any direct questions or specifics,I've been here long enough to know most of the area. Good Luck,

one last note, I am looking at propery in NJ again, just to see. Prices in PA are the lowest they've been in a while now, cheaper than when I moved here even.

Consider living in an Apartment or Condo for 1 year before you completely move up here. Its not for everyone.
and the cops on Rt15 where its 2 lanes south and 2 lanes north, the cops are like crazy there, DO NOT get caught speeding or they will lay the smack down on you.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
Milford hands down..

Dh commutes 50 miles (but to NY) each way and yes it is tiring but it is worth the sacrifice to give our kids a better life out here in PA.

We live in Shohola. Our house is brand new, upgraded interior, on 0.6 acres, 2 blocks from a huge lake. Now 2400 sq ft. Taxes....2800 bucks. (Ooak floors, oak cabinets, 2x6 construction)

I can refer you to a builder and a realtor/bank if you want, send me a PM as I am not here every day.

School district is Delaware valley. i have not heard a bad word about it ever.

You will likely want to look for Conasaugh Lakes or one of the developments with good access to either rte 6 or maybe you will find a place down in Dingman's Ferry which is closer to your job.

Deer here are pretty smart it seems. Unlike NY deer they will not automatically throw themselves out into the road and kamikaze your car. If you see a deer in downstate NY you are done for. At least here in PA you have a chance LOL!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:28 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpa2006 View Post
Almost a year later here is what I learned.

1. I hate/love deer
hate them when I see them on 739 and Im driving,
love them when chill out in my front yard.

2. You will really know what fresh air is when you live here.

3. You'll learn just how much you hate gyspy moth caterpillars

4. At night, you see SOOOOO many more stars in the sky, its amazing.
since most developments dont have streetlights

5. You find road rage building when you get stuck behind the slowpoke on the long single lane road home, and your in the last 30 minutes of your 1h30 minutes ride.

6. Downtown Milford proper is nice, The entire town is old and rich with history, I still visit with my wife and we check out all the little shops, pretty cool stuff. But the town is jammed with tourists on Fridays and all weekend during summer and season changes, try getting home after work with tourists in your way.

7. I looked in Stroudsburg for a few months before looking in the Milford Dingmans area, and yes, I have noticed the schools are better.

8. Bears eat your garbage, and can open anything you put it in. Dont put it out till the truck is almost here to pick it up, or hopefully you have a central compactor in a fenced in area that you drop off your trash at. I have only seen 2 bears in the year I've been here.

9. Septic and Well for utilities are not as scary as they may sound.

10. Ticks, are no joke up here, get those pellets they sell in 50lb bags at home depot and Lowes, spread them around your property and you should be ok.

11. The nearest and best dunkin donuts , is on Rt.15 just past the Yetters Diner intersection. (Rt206 and Rt15) I've heard the bagel station in sparta, just before the train tracks has the best bagel and egg sammiches. but getting out of their parking lot is like russian roulette during morning rush hour.

12. To sum it all up (I could go on and on)
I like my house, I like having peace and quiet at home.
I like fresh air, and I like taxes that are a 1/3rd of what they would be in NJ.
So true! Got a good laugh out of #1, 5, and 8.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:59 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarestRX View Post
Howdy all,

First things first, our family has a job offer in Parsippany, NJ but I don't want to live in NJ. The property taxes, infringements on personal freedoms guarenteed by the Constitution, housing cost, etc. does not make it an attractive place to live.

I was told that Eastern PA is the place to be.

That just leaves the commute. 206 to 15 to 80. 51.3 miles.

How horrible would this commute be in the "Real world" with rush hour traffic?

Also, any thoughts on Stroudsburg/E. Stroudsburg vs. Milford would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin "Any other suggestions will be gladly accepted."

Considering I'm planning on commuting from Scranton to Manhattan in the upcoming years for employment options, (as well as many of my peers) I'm pretty sure the Milford to Parsippany commute would definitely be reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania