Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:33 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

PSPCA's closure of Stroudsburg facility creates public health problem - poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

Oh My Gosh.......I got an alert on the computer yesterday at about 3Pm that the Stroudsburg SPCA would close at 4PM for GOOD!
There was a quick meeting on Wednesday that put this into the works.
Apparently from this article above it states that perhaps all "regional" SPCA's will close. All our stray pets may wind up in one central place in Philly.
When word got out all the pets were spoken for before the 4PM closure.
( thank goodness)
They won't give any answers to the Pocono Record. Whats up with that?
This organization has been in Stroudsburg for as long as I can remember.
Our extended family got many pets from them.....saving the lost or unwanted pets from an untimely ending.
I'm sad about this closing, and I hope the answers are forthcoming.
I also want to know what the status is on other SPCA's in other towns.
Is yours going to close too?
Something is just not right with the abruptness of this closing.........
I want to say I am thankful to those who steped forward before the animals had to journey to the far off city. I'm sure they have way too many there to give each pet some personal care.
Please tell me, what will the locals do now when they find a stray, or when a pet needs a shelter.........Head to Philly?
That won't happen........so now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 AM

I have to add that is 50 years in operation.........Fifty!
There has to be some place for pets locally. This is not good............

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
what about me?

that is very bad news indeed....

Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 AM

202 posts, read 568,106 times
Default summering this is awful

does anyone know what happens now when a stray is found -- with all the foresclosures the SPCA is need more than ever - The Humane Society in Lackawanna County could not handle anymore than they have - do we know anymore about this ?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM

I am just floored about it.............Sad and in disbelief.

There will be dogs and cats left at the end of that road.......and no one will be there to save them.
I think there was a bunch of politics going on. Sometimes I think the politics are way, way, worse then what is spoken of in the Scranton sections here.

Down here in South Carolina there was a horrible story this month. The dog virus got at a few dogs and they all had to be put to sleep. ( I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the virus.....but, I have heard of these circumstances before)
Then they finally got it back open and the cats all caught something and had to be put to sleep.
This is a difficult job for these caretakers. Many are just volunteers, with huge hearts.
I'm sure the paid workers don't get paid enough for the hours and time, and heartbreaking stories they endure.
I think the answers are known, but not coming out in the open.
I may have needed their services myself with the feral cat issue back home.
I will be working on getting each and every cat fixed, but then I wonder what to do from there.
This is something I have never dealt with personally. It becomes difficult because we don't spend winters home.
The only savior for the ferals is that I hired the Pet Nanny, and my girls have been a Godsend.......
I want to work with them some more, fix them, and get them homes.
In the short time I did have with them, they were coming around......being people friendly.

Yes, sausages...........the SPCA is needed more then ever. I have seen where in Penn Estates......A person would move and leave their dog tied up on the deck. So now what.....Where will an animal go.

I think many won't appreciate what they have until they loose it. There may have been a few things done wrong there ( one procedure that I can not read about).....but, the place is needed.

Lucky that one other group took the animals in. There are a few no kill organizations around.......
They will be the ones to carry this on their shoulders most likely.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM

PSPCA's closure:
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...DIA01/81218024

Well here is a video explaining the politics of the issue.....Oh the dogs are just so cute, it makes me sad.........Why politics? Why didn't someone go in there and put in the people who could do the job right.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
PSPCA's closure:
PoconoRecord.com Video

Well here is a video explaining the politics of the issue.....Oh the dogs are just so cute, it makes me sad.........Why politics? Why didn't someone go in there and put in the people who could do the job right.
There is also an article on a pet rescue adoption in the Pocono Record today.........its on this weekend.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,654 times
first of all with all the high costs vetenarians charge... no wonder no one wants pets anymore. they can't afford to take care of them properly. isn't there something that can be done to lower the cost of these outrageous vet fees? i'd rather donate half of what i have to pay to the spca if the spca had a center to give our pets the same shots and services they need than to pay full price of these vetenarians. and by having that kind of lower cost service to the consumers, you may well have some more pet owners and less pets in a rescue shelter... just my opinion =Debbie.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,654 times
you know what? the spca should open a center for consumers... the spca-vetmart for peoples pets. "lower vet care costs for you and your pet". you'll see where everyone goes for pet doctors. then spca will be on top of the world for animal care.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 AM

513 posts, read 1,080,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskenl View Post
you know what? the spca should open a center for consumers... the spca-vetmart for peoples pets. "lower vet care costs for you and your pet". you'll see where everyone goes for pet doctors. then spca will be on top of the world for animal care.

And where will you get the veterinarian who spent and went to college for 8 plus years to perform those services for less at the SPCA versus his private office? YOu missed your chance to have subsidies included in Obamacare...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania