Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

If we really want to get down to brass tacks, I question why the Europeans didn't assimilate to the Native Americans way of life. After all they were here first, right?

I suggest you take a walk around any city, town or borough in this area and take note of the number of Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, German, Celtic and Italian clubs, churches, organizations, bars, charities, etc and then come back and tell me how much OUR ancestors really assimilated into society upon entrance into this country. I also dare you to look up the stats on first generation Polish, Lithuanian, German and Italian immigrants who spoke English upon entrance into this country.

There is not a damned thing wrong with retaining one's culture when moving to a new country. Especially America. That is what we are about. We should be celebrating the fact that we can live in a place where so many cultures are so well represented. But no, some of us choose to repeat the cycle of "otherism" that was inflicted on our very own ancestors. People just do not learn. Ever.
Funny you should bring it up, Im 3rd generation, My grandparents came here from Poland , I was fortunate enough to listen and learn from them, They spoke no English when they came here, once here their very first priority was to speak and learn English My grandfather opened a grocery store in the Plot Section of Scranton, when he retired his son took it over..
My Grandparents NEVER spoke Polish in public, they considered it rude to their customers and neighbors, The only time they spoke Polish was in their own home. you see , while they were proud of their heritage they wanted to be thought of as American, not Polish American
It was a time when people valued this country and wanted to be a part of it, not a sub culture of it. Different generation, different values..

Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
While other countries speak multiple languages all of their National status have a DECLARED NATIONAL LANGUAGE. I speak multiple languages on a limited basis, it was not up to America to teach me. My own interest and need drived the education for me. As far as Mag, once again, ENGLISH IS THE OFFICAL BUSINESS LANGUAGE OF THE WORLD! YOU ARE SO BLINDED BY YOUR DIG IN POSITION YOU CAN WILL NOT ACCEPT FACT! WHATEVER! LOL SMH, SMH SMH...USELESS DISCUSSION AS USUAL.
I agree. English should be the official language of our country. Right now it's the de-facto language. Why should we have to learn another language? Let the people moving here learn English. If I was moving to Italy or Germany, I would certainly learn the languages native to those countries. I'm tired of us pandering to the Hispanics by pressing 1 for English. If they want to live here, it's not my problem if they are too lazy to learn English.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Funny you should bring it up, Im 3rd generation, My grandparents came here from Poland , I was fortunate enough to listen and learn from them, They spoke no English when they came here, once here their very first priority was to speak and learn English My grandfather opened a grocery store in the Plot Section of Scranton, when he retired his son took it over..
My Grandparents NEVER spoke Polish in public, they considered it rude to their customers and neighbors, The only time they spoke Polish was in their own home. you see , while they were proud of their heritage they wanted to be thought of as American, not Polish American
It was a time when people valued this country and wanted to be a part of it, not a sub culture of it. Different generation, different values..

Thankfully, times have changed somewhat and some of us realize that the language that someone speaks amongst themselves really has diddly squat to do with us. I'm sorry your grandparents were so isolated from the very large Polish culture in our area; so much so that they could only speak their native language in their home. That's sad and a commentary on the assimilation fever of their generation more than a lack of values in my generation.

You can be part of a country and champion it's values and still speak a different language.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I agree. English should be the official language of our country. Right now it's the de-facto language. Why should we have to learn another language? Let the people moving here learn English. If I was moving to Italy or Germany, I would certainly learn the languages native to those countries. I'm tired of us pandering to the Hispanics by pressing 1 for English. If they want to live here, it's not my problem if they are too lazy to learn English.
How's your Cherokee or lakhota?

I guess that's different, right?

I wonder if indians have gotten tired of pandering to the english yet.

You do realize we have a US commonwealth, which has a native language of spanish?

press 1 for coal cracker ignorance

Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 PM

436 posts, read 954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
How's your Cherokee or lakhota?

I guess that's different, right?

I wonder if indians have gotten tired of pandering to the english yet.

You do realize we have a US commonwealth, which has a native language of spanish?

press 1 for coal cracker ignorance
That poster is not from the area.

It's pretty ironic that two posters who aren't from the area are quick to bash it at every opportunity, even when it makes them look like hypocritical frauds and, you know, ignorant.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
That poster is not from the area.

It's pretty ironic that two posters who aren't from the area are quick to bash it at every opportunity, even when it makes them look like hypocritical frauds and, you know, ignorant.
I live in the cultural abyss, better known as NEPA.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I live in the cultural abyss, better known as NEPA.
There's access to culture. I can name a few places like the Scranton Cultural Center, Kirby Center, Mellow Theater, Sardoni Gallery, Houdini Museum. For minor league sports you have the baseball and hockey teams (Lehigh Valley didn't have any until more recently) and concert venues like Montage and the Casey Arena. Playhouses in Swoyersville (The Music Box Players) and even Carbondale (Corner Bistro) offer small-scale reproductions of plays.

I guess that's a little more than a few.

There are things to do in this area if you engage. And if not, Philly and NYC are close enough by to see the major players. So you're not in any kind of cultural abyss. You just have a rotten attitude.

Let's stop this nonsense that somehow the Lehigh Valley is some sort of Utopia. There's a tremendous amount of racism down there, like there is everywhere in this country. The job market is not much better down there and the cost of living is higher. The only good thing about the Lehigh Valley is it gets to live off the teat of the Philly metro area, due to its location.

Get off your freaking high horse already and stop whining. Your complaints are not unique to NEPA.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
There's access to culture...... Houdini Museum...... baseball and hockey teams....

can you hear me laughing at you over the computer? sports, culture? you drive a pick up, doncha?

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 03-25-2011 at 11:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 PM

You can put all the emotional icons in your post you want... the fact that you have no intelligent response speaks volumes. I drive a Japanese sedan BTW, ya ****ing dip$hit. Talk about being way off on so much in life...

Keep looking like a pathetic, miserable loser. It's good for a laugh, LEHIGH.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
You can put all the emotional icons in your post you want... the fact that you have no intelligent response speaks volumes. I drive a Japanese sedan BTW, ya ****ing dip$hit. Talk about being way off on so much in life...

Keep looking like a pathetic, miserable loser. It's good for a laugh, LEHIGH.
yes, a 2001 mazda. you are livin the NEPA dream, with that 10 year old mazda. keep saving those soda cans, you might afford a truck one day.

I envy you, sports = culture. is it really bliss? is it?

football museum at the sterling?

i'll stop now, as i fear a much deserved infraction coming from tbt, probably deserved. plus i'm going to hang out in Scranton in the morning. Scranton is one of my favorite places in NEPA, even like it better than allentown or easton.

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 03-26-2011 at 12:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania