Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Never assume.... Maybe its all in your perspective , and what you sow.. I have never found this area to be as you portray...

do you get out among the general public here?(and i do not mean the dallas/.clarks summit fantasy land!-----also known as the country club/big fish in a little pond crowd

Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 PM

135 posts, read 230,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
do you get out among the general public here?(and i do not mean the dallas/.clarks summit fantasy land!-----also known as the country club/big fish in a little pond crowd
Clarks Summit, PA is no fantasy land. It is the land of the rude and ignorant trying to distance themselves from the disaster that is NEPA when they are clearly on the same page as Scranton and the rest of the region. I've traveled around and visited many areas. A lot of friendly, nice, and down to earth people. No doubt Southern Cali has many fake people. I grew up in the Clarks Summit area and they thought of themselves as shielded from the problems of the entire region and were very very arrogant about it. "Look at me in my $500,000 McMansion I can't afford and I drive a brand-new BMW while driving my kids to soccer practice."

The local police were the worst!! No understanding of constitutional rights and will harass anyone who drives at night. They think they are in Compton or Camden trying to fight off gangs. They are not nice at all... extremely rude and arrogant. They would put their own mothers in jail.

The Abington Heights School District is ridiculously overpriced (property taxes) for educational standards that should appear in every district. It is a great school, but the people who work there think it's the Princeton of the schools in the area. The students have a personality disorder -- mostly from their parents. Fake, miserable, pretend/artificial friendships. Nothing meaningful (representative of the parents). Politics galore in the sports programs. Comparable to just about every school in the region. Rude kids, politics, greedy teachers, etc. It wasn't until I went off to college and then moved away that I realized how rude, arrogant, and snotty the Clarks Summit area really was. To me, it was seen as normal. I was blinded by it all. I also fell into that same trap of arrogance.

It's quite simple. If you want to live in a down-to-earth region with friendly and helpful police officers, NEPA and particularly the Clarks Summit/Abington area in general, should BE AVOIDED.

FYI - this is only advice to outsiders foreign to NEPA. Those that live here I might actually recommend the Clarks Summit area because there are some positives.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
Quote:
Quite a bit, I was born in Scranton and I still reside here.
I have found that peoples reactions to you are usually a reflection of your own.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
I have found that peoples reactions to you are usually a reflection of your own.
Sorry, but I disagreee strongly, I am a friendly outgoing and polite person...people here stare, hardly say thank you and many walk around unkempt and like they just rolled out of bed. Manners and common courtsey are NOT on display daily. It seems it is more concentrated in some areas than others, but the STARING IS CITY WIDE! IT IS RUDE AND UNCALLED FOR...DIDN'T MOMMY'S HERE TEACH THAT?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
Clarks Summit, PA is no fantasy land. It is the land of the rude and ignorant trying to distance themselves from the disaster that is NEPA when they are clearly on the same page as Scranton and the rest of the region. I've traveled around and visited many areas. A lot of friendly, nice, and down to earth people. No doubt Southern Cali has many fake people. I grew up in the Clarks Summit area and they thought of themselves as shielded from the problems of the entire region and were very very arrogant about it. "Look at me in my $500,000 McMansion I can't afford and I drive a brand-new BMW while driving my kids to soccer practice."

The local police were the worst!! No understanding of constitutional rights and will harass anyone who drives at night. They think they are in Compton or Camden trying to fight off gangs. They are not nice at all... extremely rude and arrogant. They would put their own mothers in jail.

The Abington Heights School District is ridiculously overpriced (property taxes) for educational standards that should appear in every district. It is a great school, but the people who work there think it's the Princeton of the schools in the area. The students have a personality disorder -- mostly from their parents. Fake, miserable, pretend/artificial friendships. Nothing meaningful (representative of the parents). Politics galore in the sports programs. Comparable to just about every school in the region. Rude kids, politics, greedy teachers, etc. It wasn't until I went off to college and then moved away that I realized how rude, arrogant, and snotty the Clarks Summit area really was. To me, it was seen as normal. I was blinded by it all. I also fell into that same trap of arrogance.

It's quite simple. If you want to live in a down-to-earth region with friendly and helpful police officers, NEPA and particularly the Clarks Summit/Abington area in general, should BE AVOIDED.

FYI - this is only advice to outsiders foreign to NEPA. Those that live here I might actually recommend the Clarks Summit area because there are some positives.
true--- my fantasy land comment was meant to be sarcastic--good post

Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Sorry, but I disagreee strongly, I am a friendly outgoing and polite person...people here stare, hardly say thank you and many walk around unkempt and like they just rolled out of bed. Manners and common courtsey are NOT on display daily. It seems it is more concentrated in some areas than others, but the STARING IS CITY WIDE! IT IS RUDE AND UNCALLED FOR...DIDN'T MOMMY'S HERE TEACH THAT?
wish i could rep you--so true what you posted

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:

again--one needs to travel out of the valley to make comparisons---i traveled extensively---even the french people are nicer than those that never left this area(and americans are not favored there)

methinks you are a bit defensive or do not stray far from your families'side

Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I think there are jerks here. I think there are really cool people here too. I think if people try to paint with too broad a brush they themselves get covered in the muck. Judge people by their own actions and personalities.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
again--one needs to travel out of the valley to make comparisons---i traveled extensively---even the french people are nicer than those that never left this area(and americans are not favored there)

methinks you are a bit defensive or do not stray far from your families'side
Assumptions again? I too am well traveled. If you would care to compare passports I would be more than happy to oblige.. Its all a matter of perspective, one persons floor is another persons ceiling..Im sorry you feel so slighted by the population of NEPA, I havent had the same experiences as you. There are people who wouldnt give you the time of day in all parts of the world, and in all socioeconomic levels, appreciate the good and let the bad be water off a ducks back.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM

P.S.
As for the French, there is a cemetery in Normandy they should all be more respectful and aware of, If it wasnt for us they all would be speaking German!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania