Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 7,872 times

Advertisements

Just found out I am moving to Scranton! I am selling my convertible in Los Angeles since I will only have street parking in Scranton. I am wondering if it is best to buy a car in LA (where there are more options) and ship it or if I should buy a car in NEPA. I am looking for something sporty, yet safe enough to drive year round with low mileage. Any recommendations? I have heard only bad things about the local dealers. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
If you need someone to drive it here for you I'll volunteer. I was in California 20 years ago and always wanted to go back. Might take me two weeks though.

Having said that I would think it would be a lot of expense for nothing. I know my cousin shipped a bug back from Arizona about 20 year ago and I think it cost him $600. Probably double that now.

As far as the all wheel drive goes if you're going to be living in town not really needed, FWD is all you need. Even living out in the rural areas AWD or 4WD might be needed a few times a year.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM

170 posts, read 311,836 times
Where in Scranton will you be living? Downtown, West Side, Green Ridge, hill section???? Depending on where you will live you may need AWD, they don't call it the hill section for no reason.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,627,861 times
New or used car? If you are looking new I'm not sure it will matter, but used I would say LA.

Pennsylvania uses salt on their roads in the winter. Salt is corrosive to metal, and makes the cars rot away. Most of the southwest will have rust free used cars.

If i were to move back to NEPA I would be coming to the southwest to buy all my used cars to avoid the rust. That would give me another couple years of life before the car rotted out from under me. Get it undercoated as soon as you get to the area

Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
New or used car? If you are looking new I'm not sure it will matter, but used I would say LA.

Pennsylvania uses salt on their roads in the winter. Salt is corrosive to metal, and makes the cars rot away. Most of the southwest will have rust free used cars.

If i were to move back to NEPA I would be coming to the southwest to buy all my used cars to avoid the rust. That would give me another couple years of life before the car rotted out from under me. Get it undercoated as soon as you get to the area
Is undercoating really necessary?? We've lived in PA for about 20 years and drive our cars until they die and none of them really show signs of rust.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
Hence the reason my cousin shipped a bug back from Arizona. Actually made out on it a few years alter because he sold it for a really nice profit. Lots of people interested in it because it was all original.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Is undercoating really necessary?? We've lived in PA for about 20 years and drive our cars until they die and none of them really show signs of rust.
Nowadays I don't think so especially if you get it washed off quickly. None of the newer cars I've had or I've seen others own had many issues. I had a 86 Century I put almost 200K on that was 15 years old. No major rust on the body. The paint had come off on the hood and roof and was rusted but that was common problem with those cars unrelated to the salt.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,806,037 times
When we lived in PA, my husband drove a RWD and I drove a FWD. I really don't think it matters if you know your car and are a safe driver.

I had not heard bad things about car dealers in PA. We bought my car in Stroudsburg, and I didn't take any crap. I did my homework and had a dealer in NY willing to better the deal so I got what I wanted. Just have a take-no-prisoners attitude and know what you're talking about when you go in.

Good luck!

Last edited by peppermint; 03-14-2011 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-14-2011, 03:17 PM

129 posts, read 425,380 times
There are at least as many deals on cars on the East coast as there is on the West coast. If can get a car for an incredible deal out there, it might be worth it. Otherwise it sounds like a lot of hassle to get a car transported.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
When we lived in PA, my husband drove a RWD and I drove a FWD. I really don't think it matters if you know your car and are a safe driver.
RWD is not nearly as good as FWD in the snow and it's even worse with RWD pickup because there is no weight at all on the drive axle. That's why you see a lot of these guys with stuff in the bed of their truck or even a large pile of snow. Certainly driving expertise plays a factor but even someone very experienced is going to have issues with RWD in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania