Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 24,022 times

Advertisements

I just moved here about five months ago. Bought a home in Penn Estates. Love the house. Great area. High HOA feels which supposedly go towards security. I have noticed a huge increase in police patrol cars not only in Stroudsburg as a whole, but specifically in Penn Estates.
Why? Does anyone on here have friends or family in law enforcement or know of a rise in crime around here? If so, is it violent crime or petty theft?
Worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
For most of the years I know about there were no township police in Penn Estates. Just the security force. There was talk, way back when, to have a substation for the police......that never came to be.
People wanted their presence in and around the development. There must be new arrangements now.
Sounds like a good move for everyones safety.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 16,650 times
The majority of Penn Estates lies in Stroud Township, and as such, is served by the Stroud Area Regional PD. A small portion of the community is in Pocono Township, and is covered by the Pocono Township PD.

Like most private communities, you'll likely only see municipal police when they are responding to a call inside the community. However, the police can and sometimes do just routinely patrol through the communities, especially if they've been asked to do so by the community's residents.

Penn Estates, and the Stroudsburg area as a whole, has a relatively high crime rate, and it has been that way for some time. Of course, how "high" that crime rate is depends on your frame of reference. It's much higher than say a rural area in northern Pike County, but lower than Camden, NJ.

Anyway, I don't think there has been a spike in crime recently, instead it's more of a long-term elevation.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Lots of Criminals like to hide behind the gates , It gives them a feeling of security , But the downside is That community was ONCE nice . Its gone downhill over the last 15 yrs , If you look at the community's budget you'll see exactly how much security costs ..

Old 03-17-2013, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 23,890 times
Default Negativity....

Before I moved to Penn Estates 3 months ago, I saw a surprising number of people with negative views of both Stroudsburg and Penn Estates on line. It isn't perfect, but what place is? I feel VERY safe here. In fact, I LOVE my new home. I immigrated from Hicksville, LI, NY. Certainly not a crime ridden area at all, and PE feels much safer to me.

Had to laugh at the joker commenting on criminals behind gates. There is no graffiti, no gangs of youths roaming the streets after dark, folks have been friendly and living in the Poconos is everything I had hoped it would be so far. The only problem I've run into was a next door neighbor, middle aged guy, his house is at least 200 feet away, but he was blasting music from what seemed like a stadium PA system.

At first I was OK with it... I mean I'll crank up my music on occasion as well, but when the booming bass was loud enough to prevent me from sleeping one night at 1:40am, I'd had enough. I called security. They showed up promptly, and he's been behaving ever since. When I see him again, I'll tell him it was I who complained and let him know I'm fine with cutting loose, just not all weekend and NOT after midnight.

In fact there is what was once a very nice house down the street from my place. It's been empty for a year. It hasn't been vandalized at all. Another foreclosure someone had to walk away from. It isn't an eyesore. I'm even considering buying it and doing the repairs.

In any case, I find it curious how some people have some bizarre need to be negative when the facts just don't support being so. As the saying goes, there's one in every crowd.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Penner View Post
Before I moved to Penn Estates 3 months ago, I saw a surprising number of people with negative views of both Stroudsburg and Penn Estates on line. It isn't perfect, but what place is? I feel VERY safe here. In fact, I LOVE my new home. I immigrated from Hicksville, LI, NY. Certainly not a crime ridden area at all, and PE feels much safer to me.

Had to laugh at the joker commenting on criminals behind gates. There is no graffiti, no gangs of youths roaming the streets after dark, folks have been friendly and living in the Poconos is everything I had hoped it would be so far. The only problem I've run into was a next door neighbor, middle aged guy, his house is at least 200 feet away, but he was blasting music from what seemed like a stadium PA system.

At first I was OK with it... I mean I'll crank up my music on occasion as well, but when the booming bass was loud enough to prevent me from sleeping one night at 1:40am, I'd had enough. I called security. They showed up promptly, and he's been behaving ever since. When I see him again, I'll tell him it was I who complained and let him know I'm fine with cutting loose, just not all weekend and NOT after midnight.

In fact there is what was once a very nice house down the street from my place. It's been empty for a year. It hasn't been vandalized at all. Another foreclosure someone had to walk away from. It isn't an eyesore. I'm even considering buying it and doing the repairs.

In any case, I find it curious how some people have some bizarre need to be negative when the facts just don't support being so. As the saying goes, there's one in every crowd.

Had to laugh at the joker commenting on criminals behind gates.....

Thats funny ... You're a new transplant ... Talk to me at the end of the summer .. The gang members dont hang out in the cold .. Plus there is PROOF of the gangs there in the Monroe county courthouse .. Plus the real laugh is on you ... You bought a house there .... .. Love those tax's and those HOA fee's .. Just wait They go up .. You like that backroad trip to town .. Wait till the summer when your sitting traffic .. God bless you and yours ,,, I have 22 yrs up here .. I know a whole lot more then you'll EVER learn ... Enjoy your piece of Paradise .. Its a Mini Ghetto to me . Loot at the bus stops in the morning ,, Oh just wait till you try and swim more then 1 stroke in the pools . They are filled will kids all summer , No gangs eh ... Thats real Funny ,,, , Have fun Enough said ..

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-03-2013 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Had to laugh at the joker commenting on criminals behind gates.....

Thats funny ... Your a new transplant ... Talk to me at the end of the summer .. The gang members dont hang out in the cold .. Plus there is PROOF of the gangs there in the Monroe county courthouse .. Plus the real laugh is on you ... You bought a house there .... Dumbass .. Try selling it ... Love those tax's and those HOA fee's .. Just wait They go up .. You like that backroad trip to town .. Wait till the summer when your sitting traffic .. God bless you and yours ,,, I have 22 yrs up here .. I know a whole lot more then you'll EVER learn ... Enjoy your piece of Paradise .. Its a Mini Ghetto to me . Loot at the bus stops in the morning ,, Oh just wait till you try and swim more then 1 stroke in the pools . They are filled will kids all summer , No gangs eh ... Thats real Funny ,,, , Have fun Enough said ..
Don't I know it. Had to figure it out over time but you are accurate. The criminals hate the cold, rain, any inclement weather. I love warm weather but dread it because that's when you hear all the bass music and all the obnoxious kids that only go to school to be out of their parents hair. This "new" guy will wake up when it smacks him in the face!!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-03-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
To the OP's question – is there a chance that one or more of the local police have a home in Penn Estates? Perhaps they just bought a home in your area? I have a State Trooper that lives around the corner from me and I frequently see his car. I also have the FBI that owns a house overlooking my house – I guess you could say that I am under surveillance!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 23,890 times
I see this is a fine place for adult conversation. I've gone to an HOA meeting, I've met other home owners in the dart league I joined, and these people actually live her and know more than you EVER will about living here. Goodbye. [/i]

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-03-2013 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned comment

Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
C'mon guys, have some manners! You've chased another newbie away!

Bull Penner come back please!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania