Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
If you have proof that the ranges are being destroyed, go to the Game Commission and complain.
Been there and done that, accompanied by pics......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM

38 posts, read 76,947 times
Default weluvpa be tellin da truf!

seen it with my own eyes....pretty hard to mistake the telltale pie plate sized target hole of a shotgun being used at the pistol range. Blows the target holder into toothpicks... The hundreds of shotgun cases lying around at the ten yard line are another giveaway.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Ok then if they are for "hunters" then why have a pistol range?
You can hunt with revolver AFAIK.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 AM

OK if your hunting with a pistol and I'm pretty sure you can then explain to me why your standing 10 to 15 yards from the target?

I shoot the on the 50yd rifle range with my pistol with straight up iron sights.

Like I said if the ranges were the quality that they were 3 years ago with wood backers, then fine charge a small fee for the upkeep or better yet get local groups to help with up keep. I did it out of pocket for two seasons and didn't mind it at all and was repeatedly thanked by the range maintenance guys at Archbald. I did it so that I would have a good range to use and to take my son to.

The cheap vinyl they use now is a joke.

Instead of fees lets just actually enforce the rules and help to maintain the ranges through that avenue. Like no PD's blasting them to pieces or stupid high school kids with daddies AR on the pistol range or blasting bottles and junk on the shotgun range.

Many times I have asked people to please leave the range due to the fact that they being extremely unsafe, while I had my son there and were putting others at great risk. 9 out of 10 times they were idiot kids in high school or college. Love the 21 yr old idiots with their shinny new pistols and no idea how to even use it.

That is why the rules state that at least one person assumes the role of range officer there to help to ensure a safe shooting environment.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Instead of fees lets just actually enforce the rules and help to maintain the ranges through that avenue.
... which costs money.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM

How does using existing enforcement officers to enforce the rules cost money?

The fines alone can help to offset any additional cost that would be incurred like possibly fuel, but otherwise they are already being paid as enforcement officers so lets get them to actually go to the ranges and enforce the rules.

Its not like there are hundreds of ranges in each district.

Spare me the song and dance on costs, on a daily basis each range could generate hundreds of dollars in fines, if not more for blatant rule violations.

6 round rule on the pistol range is broken dozens of times day....

Get rid of the range rats that walk around you while your shooting picking your brass without asking if its ok... They don't even have guns yet they are walking up and down the ranges getting in the way and annoying those of us that there for the intended purpose.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
How does using existing enforcement officers to enforce the rules cost money?
Because they don't have nearly enough rangers. DCNR is in the middle of a massive hiring spree right now, which costs money. And how do you expect them to produce the materials to repair / maintain the ranges? To say nothing of patrolling the state parks, game lands, and lakes.

And what about purchasing vehicles? The fuel in the vehicles? The maintenance for the vehicles? The radio system (the state doesn't just let them piggyback on OpenSky for free, you know)? The dispatchers? Damage to the equipment due to enforcement action? Firearms and ammunition? Training? Insurance? Lawyers? All of that scales with increased enforcement, and all of that costs money.

Quote:
Spare me the song and dance on costs, on a daily basis each range could generate hundreds of dollars in fines, if not more for blatant rule violations.
Sure -- just as soon as you're willing to pay for 3-4 rangers for every range 24x7x365 (what, you think vandals & criminals only operate M-F 9-5?).

Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 PM

755 posts, read 2,334,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Because they don't have nearly enough rangers. DCNR is in the middle of a massive hiring spree right now, which costs money. And how do you expect them to produce the materials to repair / maintain the ranges? To say nothing of patrolling the state parks, game lands, and lakes.

And what about purchasing vehicles? The fuel in the vehicles? The maintenance for the vehicles? The radio system (the state doesn't just let them piggyback on OpenSky for free, you know)? The dispatchers? Damage to the equipment due to enforcement action? Firearms and ammunition? Training? Insurance? Lawyers? All of that scales with increased enforcement, and all of that costs money.

Sure -- just as soon as you're willing to pay for 3-4 rangers for every range 24x7x365 (what, you think vandals & criminals only operate M-F 9-5?).
Floor, do you have any info on the hiring @ DCNR? Would love to see what they have open... thanks!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
Floor, do you have any info on the hiring @ DCNR? Would love to see what they have open... thanks!!!
Not anything solid, but I've seen more than a few articles in the local paper about them. Their website is PA*DCNR*-*DCNR Home. Since they're a state agency, they might hire through the civil service commission. If I see any more news links I'll shoot (hah) you a DM.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 PM

108 posts, read 370,357 times
Stupid question, but where can I get a permit from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania