Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
That's good. But many parents in that district simply don't care. There's a cultural difference between say Abington Heights and Scranton schools. It was the same when I graduated in 1998. The demographics of the Abington area are people who have attained high educational achievement. This has a strong correlation with the educational achievement and drive of their children. So, you have educated parents influencing their children. This in effect pressures Abington Hts. to meet certain expectations of the demands of the community and that is good quality education. Now of course there are setbacks such as strong union influence and some mediocre teachers. That exists everywhere. Scranton may not have the same pressure or demand from the community, so it is possible that Abington has slightly higher standards.

Now, suppose Abington and Scranton are EQUAL in terms of quality or "lack of quality" education. Which school has an advantage even though they're equal? It is most likely Abington. Not because of the school, but because of the community (culture and demographics). This can positively impact a student coming from a family that doesn't value education much if he/she lives in a community and is surrounded by peers who value education. That same students can slip through the cracks more-so at a school like Scranton because the city culture may not value education as much as the Abington community. You can find evidence of this anywhere, including Southern Cali.

Some people on here claim racial bias. What huge BS! I hate the race labeling but let's suppose you have a low-income African American student living in Scranton with a family who doesn't really value education. Let's also suppose his parents are divorced and one lives in Clarks Summit. He has a choice of schools-- which school do you think he'll succeed more in? Abington or Scranton? Think about the community, culture, demographics, etc. This is WHY school choice is very important, but that's a whole different topic
One disadvantage of an area like the Abingtons is the high concentration of upper-crust people which creates kids who are very materialistic and bully/degrade kids in the school who may not be as well off as they are, may not wear the same expensive clothes, live in a fancy house, drive a BMW, etc. That is a major reason why I, as a college graduate who makes decent money for the area, wouldn't even think about living in the Abingtons and putting my kids in school there. I'd rather be surrounded by down-to-earth people even if that might mean you get a few yahoos in the bunch who don't "value education." I know that my kids are being taught the value of education and studying hard in the home, so that even though there may be a few at school who aren't all that motivated, it won't affect my kids.

And, turn a blind eye to it or not, many people in this area do have a racial bias. People automatically think a school is bad if there are black or hispanic people there. If you don't think that is true, you must not have spent much time in NEPA, either that, or there truly is a bubble over the Stepford Abingtons.

And "city culture???" Seriously? We're talking about Scranton here, not LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc. Scranton is much closer to being a small town than having any real inner city culture. Most big cities have suburban towns that are triple the size of Scranton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
That's good. But many parents in that district simply don't care. There's a cultural difference between say Abington Heights and Scranton schools. It was the same when I graduated in 1998. The demographics of the Abington area are people who have attained high educational achievement. This has a strong correlation with the educational achievement and drive of their children. So, you have educated parents influencing their children. This in effect pressures Abington Hts. to meet certain expectations of the demands of the community and that is good quality education. Now of course there are setbacks such as strong union influence and some mediocre teachers. That exists everywhere. Scranton may not have the same pressure or demand from the community, so it is possible that Abington has slightly higher standards.

Now, suppose Abington and Scranton are EQUAL in terms of quality or "lack of quality" education. Which school has an advantage even though they're equal? It is most likely Abington. Not because of the school, but because of the community (culture and demographics). This can positively impact a student coming from a family that doesn't value education much if he/she lives in a community and is surrounded by peers who value education. That same students can slip through the cracks more-so at a school like Scranton because the city culture may not value education as much as the Abington community. You can find evidence of this anywhere, including Southern Cali.

Some people on here claim racial bias. What huge BS! I hate the race labeling but let's suppose you have a low-income African American student living in Scranton with a family who doesn't really value education. Let's also suppose his parents are divorced and one lives in Clarks Summit. He has a choice of schools-- which school do you think he'll succeed more in? Abington or Scranton? Think about the community, culture, demographics, etc. This is WHY school choice is very important, but that's a whole different topic
I do believe that was my point. All things being equal, I am the prime reason my child will succeed or fail. The school is important only if it reinforces my expectations.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM

135 posts, read 230,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
One disadvantage of an area like the Abingtons is the high concentration of upper-crust people which creates kids who are very materialistic and bully/degrade kids in the school who may not be as well off as they are, may not wear the same expensive clothes, live in a fancy house, drive a BMW, etc. That is a major reason why I, as a college graduate who makes decent money for the area, wouldn't even think about living in the Abingtons and putting my kids in school there. I'd rather be surrounded by down-to-earth people even if that might mean you get a few yahoos in the bunch who don't "value education." I know that my kids are being taught the value of education and studying hard in the home, so that even though there may be a few at school who aren't all that motivated, it won't affect my kids.

And, turn a blind eye to it or not, many people in this area do have a racial bias. People automatically think a school is bad if there are black or hispanic people there. If you don't think that is true, you must not have spent much time in NEPA, either that, or there truly is a bubble over the Stepford Abingtons.

And "city culture???" Seriously? We're talking about Scranton here, not LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc. Scranton is much closer to being a small town than having any real inner city culture. Most big cities have suburban towns that are triple the size of Scranton.
Yes, you are right, down to earth people account for maybe 45% of the Abington community. I know that because I grew up there. And again, you are right, a bubble does exist there (no sarcasm, I get it, I witnessed it). But when dealing with only education (minus the elitism, bubble, Stepford mentality), Abington is more ideal of a school for the so-called "yahoos" than Scranton. Now, if you compare Harrisburg and Reading schools to Scranton, then obviously Scranton has an edge. If you're a good parent to begin with, then it wouldn't matter what school you sent your kids to. If you're a lousy "couldn't give a **** parent," then your child needs to be in a school with a culture that does "give a ****." That will help the disadvantaged child to see the other side and what's important. Environment and culture has such a profound impact on a child's ability to learn. That was my point.

And of course low income doesn't necessarily mean a child is in a disruptive, neglected household. And it also doesn't mean that high income households care about their children or education. BUT, if you're high income neglected and you fall through the cracks in school, you have "mommy and daddy's" $$$ to fall back on. If you're low income neglected and fall through the cracks in a school community with not very high ambitions, you have NOTHING. So education in the right community is a MUCH needed survival tool for neglected low income students and the need to graduate is much more important than for rich kids.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:31 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In many instances, parents send their children to school for an education. But education begins very early in the child's life and is dependent on parental involvement. Parents who teach their children the rudiments before they even get to school, and who remain involved after they enter school, and expose their children to educational opportunities separate from school, and who, above all, read to their children until they can read themselves, these parents will find that their children are advanced in their school work and generally leaders among their peers.

Unfortunately, all too often, parents prefer to leave the educating to the schools and blame the system when their children fail to thrive. By placing a priority on education, and less emphasis on the extracurricular activities, parents have the biggest influence on the child's desire to learn.

Many times, the child is chauffeured from dance lessons to gymnastics to Brownies to cheerleading, or to karate, little league, mini-football, cub scouts, etc. Homework is done in the car on the way to an activity, or on the bus in the morning. Little or no time is factored in for interaction between parent and child other than the drive-time.

Sukanya Roy didn't win the National Spelling Bee because she attends Abington SD. She did it because her parents are encouraging her to excel in whatever she attempts. She studied hard, overcame prior defeat, and kept at it. Now it's entirely possible that Su received extra attention from her teachers, leading people to believe that her school district is superior. But teachers, being human, will tend to spend time on those students who are eager to learn. But I'd guess that Sukanya would have won that bee no matter which school she attended.

Some of my children graduated from the Scranton SD and some from Wyoming Valley West. They are all well-educated, intelligent and successful in their lives. They did well in school because that's what we expected of them. They were permitted one extracurricular activity during the school year, and independent reading was a given. You'll get out of your child what you are willing to put in.
BRAVO! All my children were told school is their job and we expected and expect them to do well. We also explained to them how lucky we are to live in a nation where everyone gets the oppournity to go to school. This opened their eyes early. I do not judge a school on racial mix, but I do take into account the socoeconomic make-up of the schools population. Sad to say, today it is not just poverty but all the ills that accompany many poor that are the true issue for me. It makes me so angry when I see children who need new shoes or a winter coat and walk to school ALONE while Mommy and Daddy have sleeves of tatoos and freshly done nails every week. Both my parents were depression era children, education was valued and seen as a life line to improve one's lot in life. Today, I just do not understand. When my children (the older two) were little we were poor this was after my husband left the service, but they always came first. Library reading club every summer, family discussions of current events and a demonstration that a desire for an education is a life time endevaor. Many an night I was with them doing my homework as they did theirs. We sat at the dining room table every night until they were in 7th grade doing their home work with them, not for them. They also knew Mommy rose many a morning at 3 or 4 am to correct or finish my term paper or to read those last few chapters I could not fit in the day before.

While I do not limit my son to one activity, it is no more than 2 during the week, and swimming on Saturdays. He loves loves scouting and took his first acting workshop this spring. He amazed me, he is shy and quiet but loves to be on stage. BTW, if anyone has a special need child the Waverly Comm has a camp called Camp Create, lil man has been going since he was 6 and it is a wonderful expierence, it is funded mainly through grants from Proctor and Gamble and cost only 15 dollars a week for a 5 day, 4 hour camp session.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post

wish i could rep you--we do agree on some things

Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Yes, you are right, down to earth people account for maybe 45% of the Abington community. I know that because I grew up there. And again, you are right, a bubble does exist there (no sarcasm, I get it, I witnessed it). But when dealing with only education (minus the elitism, bubble, Stepford mentality), Abington is more ideal of a school for the so-called "yahoos" than Scranton. Now, if you compare Harrisburg and Reading schools to Scranton, then obviously Scranton has an edge. If you're a good parent to begin with, then it wouldn't matter what school you sent your kids to. If you're a lousy "couldn't give a **** parent," then your child needs to be in a school with a culture that does "give a ****." That will help the disadvantaged child to see the other side and what's important. Environment and culture has such a profound impact on a child's ability to learn. That was my point.

And of course low income doesn't necessarily mean a child is in a disruptive, neglected household. And it also doesn't mean that high income households care about their children or education. BUT, if you're high income neglected and you fall through the cracks in school, you have "mommy and daddy's" $$$ to fall back on. If you're low income neglected and fall through the cracks in a school community with not very high ambitions, you have NOTHING. So education in the right community is a MUCH needed survival tool for neglected low income students and the need to graduate is much more important than for rich kids.
disagree--i know too many kids in the abingtons that fell through the cracks and even with the parents fall back money are aimless drifters into their 30's----location cannot give a person motivation or abilities---maybe effective parenting can----------most of the people i interacted with were poor,went to regular local public schools,some had no parental support,but the majority went on to lead productive lives in their chosen fields
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania