Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 AM

8 posts, read 10,317 times

Advertisements

Yes, we have researched the U quite a bit prior to attending an info/tour session. We like the new science building, student center & dorms. It's nice to see the U reinvesting $ in the campus infrastructure. Academically we've read good things about the school but it's nice to get the perspective of others/local folks as well......I guess we will make another trip in the fall to tour the new science building, see the campus when students are back and have a look around the surrounding areas. Please feel free to provide any additional information, I welcome your feedback. Thanks to all who posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
For the most part the area around the U is so so. There will be cheerleaders and there will be those that say its bad. The reality is that there are robberies, home invasions and muggings every single year. Not all make the paper, but some do. Out of state students with money are a target, period.

The U itself depending on whom you speak with is viewed as a land grabbing entity that hides behind its church affiliation to completely avoid any and all taxes. It is not a non-profit, it is a purely for profit business that just happens to be run by Jesuits. They have a $100,000,000 endowment fund and buy land left and right and expand their footprint and removing properties from the dwindling tax-rolls here in the city. The U contributes a pathetic $114,000 in lieu of taxes to the city every year. That is a cheap price for police and fire protection for a school of its size.

Educationally speaking its a good school, its TOO involved with local politics.

Like I said some residents will view it has a good thing and some see it as a problem. U students are viewed more as a nuisance to the city then an asset by the majority of the residents here especially those that have police scanners and have to listen to our dwindling police force deal with the students and their drunken nonsense rather then the real issues and crimes in the city...

Old 07-26-2011, 07:30 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Excuse weluv he is the cd version of the south park rabble rabble rabble types.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 PM

No need to excuse me, I have lived in this city for over 15 years after college and went to high school in the city and lived at the U for a few years while I attended Wilkes and played rugby for the City of Wilkes-Barre.

I'm probably the only one that commented that has any real lifetime experience living in the city with the U, except for Mr. Yuk....

I know at least one poster has ZERO.

Crime happens and some of it is very violent, especially the armed home invasions where doors have been kicked in and students robbed at gun point for their xbox's, laptops and anything else of value....

Why do people continuously feel the need to sugar coat things and basically feed people a line of BS because you think that is what they need to or want to hear.

Its not getting any better and the police force is shrinking so don't expect it to improve anytime soon.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Excuse weluv he is the cd version of the south park rabble rabble rabble types.
Actually Weluv is spot on, Im born and raised here and his post is what it is.. FYI The University has its own "police force" and much of what happens on campus never reaches the papers, or for that matter the local police force, where it would become a statistic.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
No need to excuse me, I have lived in this city for over 15 years after college and went to high school in the city and lived at the U for a few years while I attended Wilkes and played rugby for the City of Wilkes-Barre.

I'm probably the only one that commented that has any real lifetime experience living in the city with the U, except for Mr. Yuk....

I know at least one poster has ZERO.

Its not getting any better and the police force is shrinking so don't expect it to improve anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Actually Weluv is spot on, Im born and raised here and his post is what it is.. FYI The University has its own "police force" and much of what happens on campus never reaches the papers, or for that matter the local police force, where it would become a statistic.
He might be spot on, but 80% of his post is about the politics and The U., and Scrantonians possible perception of those politics, which really has no bearing on if a prospective student should attend a college or if they are safe there, which was the original question.

Of course there is crime, I think only one person said it was a safe neighborhood, but, the OP could go to much more prestigious institutions and be in far more danger.

I am fairly certain the OP has no interest in the locals mudslinger about a college, which happens almost everywhere.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceDolce90 View Post
Thx ....... What about walking around from eateries/movies/mall back to campus? We did a tour of the campus and liked the facilities and educational focus of the university but the area has me concerned. It's too bad I wished I had more time to look around when we visited. In addition, is the U a well respected university(locally and in the tri state areas)?
See Above....

I particularly like the part "In addition, is the U awell respected university(locally and in the tri state areas)?"

Well I can only comment on the "LOCALLY" part, which I did, honestly. I guess it depends on you talk to in Scranton.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 AM

8 posts, read 10,317 times
Having worked in govt, in a college town and a state capital I understand the issues that come along w/ tax exempt properties from institutions and govt bldgs and the issues that the influx of students can bring.......I'm more concerned about the safety of perspective students and the quality of education they receive and its perceived value in the tri-state area after graduation.

I've read that the U is a very good academic institution with a friendly student body. They also said all the right things during the info session we attended but my initial impression of the surrounding area was suspect......hence my op.

Last edited by DolceDolce90; 07-27-2011 at 06:13 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times
Quote:
Having worked in govt, in a college town and a state capital I understand the issues that come along w/ tax exempt properties from institutions and govt bldgs and the issues that the influx of students can bring.......I'm more concerned about the safety of my kid and the type of education he will receive and its perceived value in the tri-state area after graduation.

I've read that the U is a good academic institution and they said all the right things during the info session/tour but my initial impression of the surrounding area was suspect ...... Hence my post.
]

Academically, the school has a good reputation, On campus is relatively safe, the lower Hill Section not so much.. that being said , it still isnt a ghetto..

Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:

I've read that the U is a very good academic institution with a friendly student body. They also said all the right things during the info session we attended but my initial impression of the surrounding area was suspect......hence my op.

It's a very good school, with a nice campus and expanding facilities. It is a somewhat expensive school, if memory serves me, they are on par tuition wise with Drexel. IMHO, you would be safer in Scranton than Drexel, and probably get a better education at Scranton. But Drexel probably looks more impressive to recruiters. That said, between the two, I would rather my kids go to Scranton. Although I'm going to push them to Cedar Crest or Muhlenberg College.

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 07-27-2011 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: I really hate the iPad autocorrect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania