Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I like Taco Bell. I think Olive Garden is disgusting. Ironic, yes?
I agree, give me Taco Bell over Olive Garden anyday. The food is similar quality, except that at least Taco Bell is cheap. We need a Taco Bell in Scranton....can't believe that the one in Clarks Summit is the only one in the Scranton area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenReject View Post
i'm smack dab in between the two (outside of pittston) so if i really want taco bell its about a 30 minute trip to hit the one by the wyoming valley mall and come home. sometimes more depending on how messed up 81 or 315 are...
I'm surprised one isn't going in with the new Pittston Township Crossings project on 315. I've heard rumors of both an Olive Garden and IHOP coming in.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:26 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
yeah i hop but i prefer carrabba's

Old 11-14-2011, 01:37 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
Quote:
I love Taco Bell, haven't been there in about 3 yrs though. Olive Garden has mostly disgusting creamy sauces all over their food. I guess if you like creamy sauces you would like that, i hate creamy anything over pasta.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM

124 posts, read 194,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm surprised one isn't going in with the new Pittston Township Crossings project on 315. I've heard rumors of both an Olive Garden and IHOP coming in.
well Arbys just closed so that building is open. I had hope for one at the crossings, but they just put a Burger King infront of the new Walmart... not like there isn't another BK 5 minutes down the road in Pittston .

Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 PM

267 posts, read 765,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There was suppose to be a Taco Bell/KFC on the property just north of Pilot, across the street from the shopping center. It was in the Citizens' Voice a few years ago, (tried to search for the article, but could not find it) The property still has a 'for sale' sign on it.

I case you wanted to know Sleepys and Cross Valley Credit Union are going in the old Jads Place building.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 PM

21 posts, read 55,329 times
Didn't expect such support for Taco Bell. Shows we all have different taste. But PLEASE with the anti Mexican comment. I wasn't going there at all. At least Olive Garden serves wine.....
Westfall is the eastern most exit on Rt. 84 just before crossing into NY.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
We have something in common , Olive Gardens are Scarce around here and for good reason... Too many Italians and there businesses which serve real Italian food , instead of OG's Microwave crap...

Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
We have something in common , Olive Gardens are Scarce around here and for good reason... Too many Italians and there businesses which serve real Italian food , instead of OG's Microwave crap...
That's why its a real head-scratcher as to why the Olive Gardens around here are always crowded....I don't get it, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is loaded with locally-owned Italian restaurants with homecooked food, yet people will wait 45 minutes for a seat at OG to eat frozen reheated crap. And usually OG is more expensive. People are lemmings, I guess. Same reason they drink Coors Light over a microbrew.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 11-16-2011 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
That's why its a real head-scratcher as to why the Olive Gardens around here are always crowded....I don't get it, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is loaded with locally-owned Italian restaurants with homecooked food, yet people will wait 45 minutes for a seat at OG to east frozen reheated crap. And usually OG is more expensive. People are lemmings, I guess. Same reason they drink Coors Light over a microbrew.
I was about to say something similar. Thankfully NEPA still has many nice 'private' (non-franchise) restaurants, many/most specialize in Italian cuisine. I think this is one of the nice things about the area.

I keep thinking OG and its ilk do well with shoppers or people passing through who patronize them because of the (great) TV ads and the predictable familiarity. I'm probably just fooling myself and the real reason is that our 'culture' has evolved through generations who patronize fast food and franchise restaurants so frequently that it is all they know, and they consider them superior to 'traditional' restaurants. Local diners and cafes suffer from this too, but are still well represented in NEPA...though also slowly fading.

NEPA has many many fast and semi-fast food franchises but is still not as bad as some other US metro areas where it is often tough to determine where you are since everything is the same. Franchises are fast, predictable(?), and convenient, appealing in today's' multi-job households, and 'hurried/mobile' culture.

While I prefer the old family owned/style establishments, they are sadly a vanishing breed. They will survive longer in NEPA than in many other areas, especially 'new' fast growing metros, since this is still NEPA and as Arlen Specter (IIRC) and many others have said, Scranton is ten years behind the rest of the country (or was PA?). In many ways, that is a conservative estimate.

BTW, I like Taco Bell occasionally too and welcome more 'real' Mexican, Tex-Mex, and Spanish restaurants here. While I do also like Italian cuisine, I can only take only take so much.

Bon Appétit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania