Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:55 PM

148 posts, read 265,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
China Palace in Dickson City. 2 or 3 doors down from Chuck E. Cheese
I love the food from this place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
There is a website that will allow you to see major violations but no grading beyond satisfactory for compliant restaurants.
This is drifting from just good Chinese but still is nice to know. It is a good start to see officials working on improvements and starting to use available technology. Restaurant inspections in Scranton and elsewhere to go online at state website - The Times-Tribune

Practically, many NEPA folks just don't frequent the Internet and even those that do, will probably have to dig to find the info for a while (I didn't come across it in a quick search. It may still be 'planned'). IMO a 'satisfactory' or 'non-sat' rating isn't granular enough to separate best practices from also rans. From what I have seen and read, this will leave a lot of leeway for marginal practices that could persist. Hopefully they will refine this scoring over time restaurants and inspectors settle in to the routine. Good, prompt followup, checking for corrected violations, appears mportant in these inspections. Places with even minor violations can cause health issues, especially for those sensitive to such things. Again it is a good start. (One wonders what has been done over the years....or not.)

There is nothing like seeing a big "A" "B" or "C" sign in the front window of a place you are considering dining at. It is clear, instant info for customers and, owners, managers, etc...providing strong motivation for proper food handling. Maybe some day this or similar approaches will be common. certainly using smart phone technology can make this easy too but for now the signs are nice in their simplicity and effectiveness.

I came across this well done video that gives some insight a 'perfectly' run process and result. I would like to see how they inspect a buffet.

Inside Restaurant Inspections - YouTube

Here is info on the whole SD process and grading system. County of San Diego: Food Program: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Old 12-10-2011, 05:01 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
I found this one link to our PA Dept. of Agriculture food inspection: https://www.pafoodsafety.state.pa.us/web/inspection/publicinspectionsearch.aspx

All I did was check the box of “in compliance” and enter in my zip code. I got a list of all restaurants in my area and the number of recent violations. You can also click to see what the violations were as well as see what violations the restaurants had last year (with a previous inspection). Many of the violations I would not think were serious - but I am not a food inspector.

My area did not have any restaurants that were “not in compliance”. Nothing came up when I clicked on “not in compliance”. That does not mean your areas do not have any restaurants in this category.

I hope this is a helpful site.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:56 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I found this one link to our PA Dept. of Agriculture food inspection: https://www.pafoodsafety.state.pa.us/web/inspection/publicinspectionsearch.aspx

All I did was check the box of “in compliance” and enter in my zip code. I got a list of all restaurants in my area and the number of recent violations. You can also click to see what the violations were as well as see what violations the restaurants had last year (with a previous inspection). Many of the violations I would not think were serious - but I am not a food inspector.

My area did not have any restaurants that were “not in compliance”. Nothing came up when I clicked on “not in compliance”. That does not mean your areas do not have any restaurants in this category.

I hope this is a helpful site.
It is helpful. The violations issued are typical of inspections in many places. There may even be state or national standards(?), guides, training etc. I don't know except what I've seen and that I, as a consumer, care. At this web site, at least the customer can check places they know or consider patronizing. If they use a handheld device they could even do this prior to entry. Of course the sign in the window approach is even easier.

You can search using city/town and don't need zip code. This is easier and covers multiple zips in large cities/areas. Searching on Scranton, Wilkes Barre, and a few nearby towns, I found none listed as 'out of compliance'. Using just 'Pennsyslvania', Philadephiaan d Allentown also produced long lists of "OOC'. I guess one explanation is that NEPA has clean kitchens, or...

Maybe in NEPA the inspectors don't enter failures in database until businesses have corrected faults (many faults listed are minor and corrected immediately...but bigger violations are things like like doors that don't seal to prevent pests intrusion). Or....

Conclusion?

In other non-PA jurisdictions, I have seen followup inspections listed and their results, most important the corrections performed. This wasn't obvious in the quick look I took at the PA data. Maybe it is there or implied as, they did have links to past inspections, helpful, but takes some digging with your Android while you are standing there hungry at the door . Nevertheless something is being done... and the web posted results are better than not. One can get some idea of how a place does business, if the posted results are legitimate.

I still like the 'A' 'B' 'C' approach too...the PA pass/fail does nothing to highlight those that do a better job, which in food handling can matter in safety and also gives a little insight in general kitchen/business practices.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:16 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
It is helpful. The violations issued are typical of inspections in many places. There may even be state or national standards(?), guides, training etc. I don't know except what I've seen and that I, as a consumer, care. At this web site, at least the customer can check places they know or consider patronizing. If they use a handheld device they could even do this prior to entry. Of course the sign in the window approach is even easier.

You can search using city/town and don't need zip code. This is easier and covers multiple zips in large cities/areas. Searching on Scranton, Wilkes Barre, and a few nearby towns, I found none listed as 'out of compliance'. Using just 'Pennsyslvania', Philadephiaan d Allentown also produced long lists of "OOC'. I guess one explanation is that NEPA has clean kitchens, or...

Maybe in NEPA the inspectors don't enter failures in database until businesses have corrected faults (many faults listed are minor and corrected immediately...but bigger violations are things like like doors that don't seal to prevent pests intrusion). Or....

Conclusion?

In other non-PA jurisdictions, I have seen followup inspections listed and their results, most important the corrections performed. This wasn't obvious in the quick look I took at the PA data. Maybe it is there or implied as, they did have links to past inspections, helpful, but takes some digging with your Android while you are standing there hungry at the door . Nevertheless something is being done... and the web posted results are better than not. One can get some idea of how a place does business, if the posted results are legitimate.

I still like the 'A' 'B' 'C' approach too...the PA pass/fail does nothing to highlight those that do a better job, which in food handling can matter in safety and also gives a little insight in general kitchen/business practices.
What did surprise me were the number of violations against some of the larger (I thought cleaner) restaurants.

I said before that many of the violations seemed petty to me, such as: crates of food stored on the floor in the coolers - instead of six inches off the floor. You would think that, if the food was sealed and in the originally packaging, that there would be no problem.

However; there were some violations that were bothersome, such as: failure to wash hands before touching the food, failure to use sanitized dish towels, failure to wear hair protection, wearing jewelry, wearing only one glove, etc.

Food is a buyer beware and be informed. Researching problems, where you eat, could save you from potential health problems. I also know that these inspections are only a snapshot of the establishment. The restaurants might have better days or worse days - it even gives that qualifier at that Dept. of Agriculture web site. However; it gives the customers an idea of what to look for and complain if they see further violations of our food safety codes.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 AM

13 posts, read 26,418 times
Have you tried the Foliage restaurant on Main ave. in West Scranton. I always like the generals chicken

Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 AM

212 posts, read 502,475 times
A little off topic... but have you consider to learn to cook it yourself? General Tso Chicken is one of the most beloved dish in [AMERICANIZED] chinese restaurant. The dish usually cost $10-13 for dinner portions which they probably give less than 20 pieces of chicken. You can easily make 40 pieces+ of general tso chicken for less than $5. It is easy to make --- just take time to prepare the ingredients. (I just made it yesterday for dinner).

pocono girl

Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM

212 posts, read 502,475 times
General Tso’s Chicken, Two Recipes

I would add more sugar if you like the way restaurant does it... however, it is not healthy. so instead of 1 teaspoon as the recipe suggested, use 6 teaspoon instead.

Also if you cannot find hoisin sauce, you can skip that as well... just add another teaspoon of sugar, dark soy sauce to replace that.

do not use chiken breast. use drum sticks but thigh is the preferred meat - get the one that is skinless and boneless from Weis.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 AM

207 posts, read 284,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
P.S.
The Thai restaurant on the corner of Mulberry and Adams is very good.
Agreed, Thai Rak Thai. I feel like I have to go there since you mentioned it.

While on the topic of Oriental food, did anyone try the new Thai Thai on Washington? Is it pretty much the same as in WB.

Also as far as Chinese Restaurants go, one of my favorites has always been Wah Mei in Jessup. Everything has always been great and consistant. For buffets, I prefer Royal Buffet in Dickson. I tend to stray away from buffets but I'll usually go to Royal is friends choose someone. I'm not too big on Teppanyaki though, everything just seems too rubbery. The sushi is okay though.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
I like the buffets, most of them anyways. Royal and Teppanyaki are both really good. They always seem to be busy when I'm there, so the food is fresh. The buffet at the South Side shopping center is decent too, but the workers aren't very friendly there.

For takeout, QQ in North Scranton seems to be the best near me...Foliage in West Side is good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania