Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,573,839 times

Advertisements

Hey you,
could you tell me about the good restaurants up that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
My favorite Chinese restaurant in the world is Chang Mao in Milford.
Mt. Haven in Milford has great pizza, Italian, and good catering, good take out menu.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:01 PM

LOL We have ta have good Chinese, ya know!
Is it a buffet style one? Do you know of any near Scranton? LOL

We may be there soon!!!! We had a showing yesterday and he loves the house. His wife didn't come down with him, but saw all the pictures and the virtual tour... I even sent her pictures to her email. They have to sell in Jersey, but she is hoping when her husband gets home today, he can work something out creatively to buy ours. We also have another buyer from Jersey coming down next week to see the house !!!!!

Last edited by Marka; 09-22-2006 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
That's a trend I've noticed, Bamboo---NJ people flocking to FL while FL people flock back up to PA! LOL! As far as restaurants go, here are my favorites in the categories you mentioned:

Chinese: The House of China, is probably my favorite "sit-down" Chinese restaurant in the county. To get here from I-81 Northbound, take the River Street exit. Make a left at the end of the ramp onto River Street. Cross the overpass and make your first right onto Meadow Avenue (gas station on the corner on your right). Then take a right at the next light onto Moosic Street, and the House of China is IMMEDIATELY on the left-hand side. It's also nice to burn off those calories afterwards by continuing to head up Moosic Street (Becomes Route 307), for about two miles to Lake Scranton for a leisurely stroll. ;o)

Italian: By far too many to mention, but here are a few favorites:
Parente's---North Main Street in my hometown of Pittston, about eight miles south of Scranton. Recently-opened after a fire gutted its old location a few blocks away. Generous portions, great pasta dishes, and reasonable prices (Comparable to Olive Garden). To get here, take Exit 175 "Pittston" off of I-81 Northbound and merge onto Highway 315 at the blinker light. Take your first left onto Oak Street (Major intersection), and follow Oak Street to the end. Turn right onto the "Pittston Bypass", and take a left at the first light onto William Street. Follow to the bottom of the hill into Downtown Pittston, and make a right onto North Main Street at the light. Parente's will be on your right, about a quarter-mile past the Fort Jenkins Bridge.

Colarusso's---Main Street in Avoca, seven miles south of Scranton. Pizza, pasta, reasonable portions and prices. Take I-81 North to Exit 175, the "Pittston" exit. Merge onto Highway 315, and continue straight into Dupont. At the fourth traffic light, get into the left-hand turn lane and make a left onto Main Street in Dupont (You'll see an abandoned gas station on your left). Pass by Mambo Italiano (Another one of my favorites!!!), and you'll soon be on Main Street in Avoca. Colarusso's is right in the heart of Downtown Avoca on the left hand side of Main Street.

I also highly-reccommend Amadeo's, Arcaro & Genell, Brutico's, and Riviello's in Old Forge, a town just south of Scranton known for its Italian eateries and heritage.

Pizza There are two types of "pizza" in the Scranton region. "Old Forge Style" is square, and usually comes in "white" (like a cheese sandwich) or "red" (very saucy) varieties. Then you have the traditional round pizzas that you'll find at Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Old Forge Pizza, but I know some who swear by it! ;o)

I know many in Scranton like Buona Pizza, on the corner of Lackawanna & Washington Avenues, near the Mall at Steamtown. Another good bet is Tony's on Main Street in the City Line Plaza in South Pittston. I'm still a fan of "Grotto Pizza", a Mid-Atlantic chain with restaurants in Wilkes-Barre, Harvey's Lake, Edwardsville, and Dunmore.

Bagels I don't like bagels, but I do know the locals rave over Northern Lights Espresso Bar, which is actually featured in my photo thread! (Talk about a coincidence! LOL!) It kind of reminds me of a mini "Central Perk" from Friends---A place where college-aged kids and middle-aged office workers alike can mingle over java and bagels.

Any more requests? ;o)

Old 09-22-2006, 01:11 PM

You are good, (pointing my finger at ya like in the movie Analyze This)
OK, any chinese buffets that are great?
Oh, I know we will be trying out all the restaurants!!!!
How about good ones near Honesdale or Uniondale????

Old 09-23-2006, 05:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
Hey Bam, 2 hours or so and you could be in Chinatown.

Saturday Dim Sum! Yum yum!

Old 09-24-2006, 08:22 AM

15 posts, read 107,703 times
Default good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
LOL We have ta have good Chinese, ya know!
Is it a buffet style one? Do you know of any near Scranton? LOL

We may be there soon!!!! We had a showing yesterday and he loves the house. His wife didn't come down with him, but saw all the pictures and the virtual tour... I even sent her pictures to her email. They have to sell in Jersey, but she is hoping when her husband gets home today, he can work something out creatively to buy ours. We also have another buyer from Jersey coming down next week to see the house !!!!!
Hope you sell your house ...we are getting ready to put ours on the market too (in new york) and hopefully we'll be right behind you. This market is making me nervous! Thanks to the internet and folks like Scranton, we are getting a clearer picture of where we what to go in pa every day.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:38 PM

Mr. T, yes, China Town is NYC is one of my favorite spots. We were there in 2002 and I was in every store looking at the oriental goodies. Then we had a great lunch in one little restaurant that my parents go to.

Robrose, I can't wait to get there. The market is going to get better sooner or later, just be patient. Kimwick, KBwriter and I are all going to have a big BBQ when we get there LOL!!! Do you wanna join in? LOL

Old 10-19-2006, 02:21 PM

Talking Ok, I just checked this thread again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
My favorite Chinese restaurant in the world is Chang Mao in Milford.
Mt. Haven in Milford has great pizza, Italian, and good catering, good take out menu.
Yummy! I can't wait to eat there.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:16 PM

414 posts, read 1,780,138 times
Old Forge touts itself as "Pizza Capital of the World.....the secret to O.F.'s
alleged delectability attributed to the homeade cheese they make.....(apparently manufactured cheese becomes bitter in the cooking...as would I personally.... )

I'm always happy to have Grotto Pizza especially at Harvey's Lake...so much atmosphere at the lake...then a drive around it......I found Sabatini's Pizza in Exeter on Route 11 to be delicious too..thin, tender crust, excellent sauce and not overwhlemed by cheese a la NY style (barf).....

But the pizza of all pizzas in the opinion of NePA pizza gourmands is supposed to be that of the "Victory Pig BarBQ" on Route 11 in the stretch between Forty Fort and Exeter. I have never partaken for some unknown reason. They are evidently only open Weds., Friday and Saturday...and apparently legendary.....so go.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania