Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 AM

18 posts, read 29,993 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Swoyersville and am looking to move into a bigger house with slightly more privacy.

Swoyervilles cons:
* Fireworks late at night at random - I've randomly heard fireworks until MIDNIGHT which is extremely annoying and I always hope my son doesn't wake up, etc.
* Flood zone - We've lived in the house six years and had mandatory evacuations twice now.
* Lower income area - There are definitely nice houses in the area but there are also a lot of "dumps".
* No trees - Some streets have trees but most of them are baren and when it's hot I don't enjoy taking a walk because there is almost no shade at all.

Swoyersville pros:
* Sidewalks - This is HUGE because my son loves to take walks all around the neighborhood. It seems like most developments (even with $500k+ homes!) do not have sidewalks. Why is that ?!
* Activity - I like seeing people walk their dogs, take their children for strolls, etc.
* Kid-friendly - There are a lot of babies/toddlers/kids in the area and we have two parks within walking distance which is great.

We've been looking for a new house for over a year now and I thought I wanted complete privacy in the woods, etc. (I've always loved walking around in the woods and I think my son would really enjoy it as well) However, after bidding on a house in Dallas (and getting our offer accepted), I am now having seconds thoughts. I will miss having sidewalks and decorating the house for Halloween and Christmas. The privacy of being in the woods sounds great, but then I think I would feel a little lonely or secluded.

What I'm trying to ask is this...... Are there any neighborhoods near Wilkes-Barre that have that "picturesque" look with sidewalks and trees lining the sidewalks? We're looking to spend up to $250k so I really thought we could find something nice but we are having such a tough time! (think of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation type of neighborhood, hehe)

Duryea looks nice, but is a bit further than we initially started looking for (because we work near Wilkes-Barre, etc) but it seems like it might have nice developments. I also wanted Dallas or Crestwood school districts but I just can't decide.

Sorry for rambling ... I'm just trying to put my thoughts on paper, so-to-speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 15,737 times
Well actually I was going to say Forty Fort which is pretty much right down the road from where you are - While it's true you can find a nice place for $250K in W-B - the property taxes are ridiculous! Plains has some nice areas as does certain little sections of Dupont & Avoca - Even what they refer to as the "Oregon" section of Pittston is nice...IMHO! The property taxes seem to be a little better in the Pittston area than W-B. I do know what you mean about the fireworks - I had a few neighbors like that in Mountain Top - I mean, doesn't it get old - you light the fuse and hear a BANG! And how many ***** bottle rockets can you stand? Oh well...Good Luck!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I pretty much was first attracted to the area for that same appearance. Minus the crazy cousin with the dilapidated RV.

Kingston and Forty-Fort have that look and feel. But so do parts of Wilkes-Barre. And you get more bang for your buck.

Are you at all open to Wilkes-Barre? If not Kingston and Forty-Fort get my vote.

But I'd give W-B a chance. There are some nice, dog walking, sidewalked and tree lined areas here where there are nice neighbors who really show pride in their homes.

Dallas is not a small town and mostly does not have side walks or really anything that you say you like.

West Pittston but the floods scare me.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:05 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
It is a 10 mile drive down 81 so depending on how far you want to go Nuangola has areas you speak of with the Nature to boot. Also, Dorrance is right below that and I bet you will find tree lined streets with nice houses and good neighbors surrounded by lots of nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania