Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,090,820 times

Advertisements

california is now rethinking its medical marijuana take-----having been close to both drinkers and potheads in my family and seeing how their abuse wrecked their homelives---the lesser toll on family members came from the drinkers ----at least none of the drinkers stole from familiy members to support their depedence on more costly booze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,104,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
california is now rethinking its medical marijuana take-----having been close to both drinkers and potheads in my family and seeing how their abuse wrecked their homelives---the lesser toll on family members came from the drinkers ----at least none of the drinkers stole from familiy members to support their depedence on more costly booze
It still happens though.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,787 times
Default Obviously NOT true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I don't even think you can put alcohol and marijuana in the same category. Sure, in some ways, alcohol can be as or more dangerous than marijuana, but then again, alcohol can be used responsibly without getting intoxicated. I can have one or two drinks and not be drunk. There is no way to use marijuana without becoming high, and getting high is the only point to smoking pot.
No, alcohol cannot "in some ways be as or more dangerous than marijuana". If you do the research into just how many deaths can be directly attributed to alcohol, the danger label is squarely in the alcohol camp. Not even close. Also, alcohol is physically addictive, increases aggression, damages your kidneys and liver, etc. No matter how socially acceptable it is, it's bad for you on many levels.

People who are using marijuana to relieve pain, control spasms, or simulate their appetite, are not trying to get high. If you had done any research, which I doubt, based on your other misinformed posts, you would know that medical marijuana has varying amounts of THC and the other canniboids in it. It's the THC that produces the high. It is possible, not only to get marijuana with low levels of THC, but also get marijuana with higher levels of the effective compounds for pain relief.

To people who are chronically or fatally ill, there is only one goal, to be and act as normal as possible for as long as they remain alive. It is not about getting high. I hope you never have to find that out first hand, like I have. Your assumption is very offensive.

Even non medical users, or at least those who don't qualify as medical users under their state's laws, can and do use marijuana for purposes other than getting high, such as anxiety, insomnia, headache (it's faster than asprin) as well as other aliments of greater or lesser gravity.

There are now 17 states that disagree with you. What do they know that you don't?

Put down you alcoholic beverage and do some real research, it will do wonders to remove your preconceived notions, based on nothing more than, "how you feel".

Last edited by Beaconowner; 09-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-20-2012, 10:55 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times
Quote:
Many drinkers steal money for booze.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Default I seriouslt doubt that

Quote:
California is a very big state. Alot is going on there on both sides of the issues. Groups are both trying to get marijuana legalized and other groups are trying to impose regulations, some ridiculous and some thoughtful. The State Attorney General is trying to shut down almost all access to marijuana.

Having California re-think it's implamentation of medical marijuana is a positive thing. Southern California, the more conservative part of the state, has certainly botched medical marijuana, but the more northern communities have done a better job of regulation, taxation and control.

If you discount the fact that marijuana is illegal, and all the stuff that brings with it - which would be the only fair way to compare alcohol with marijuana, than your anecdotal story about your family just doesn't ring true. Any retired cop will tell you that when they were working they'd much rather confront stoners than alcoholics. I know retired cops, I don't know any that are active, so maybe those on active duty would have a different view. In any case, no one would claim that marijuana makes someone more aggressive, which alcohol definately does, at least in higher doses.

All use is not abuse. That is true for alcohol and marijuana. If there was actual abuse going onrather than use, you can't expect a good outcome. The good news is that only a very small minority of either alcohol or marijuana users would qualify as abusers by any credible metric.

Booze is relatively cheap because it is legal. Anything on the black market will have a premium added because it's illegal. If marijuana were legal this would not have been an issue. However, that doesn't absolve a low life relative that would steal from their own kin for any reason. Sorry to break it to you but there are people that steal money for booze too.

One person's family experiance with alcohol and marijuana doesn't say anything definitive about either. There is so much unbiased research out there (and a lot of biased research too). You should try researching the subject first, and than tell us your conclusions, because right now you are basing your conclusions on a very small sample that, I can assure you, does not fit the facts.

Saying that alcohol is less dangerous than marijuana is ridiculous.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Default You talk as if current law works, it doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Don't we currently have too many problems on our roads with impaired and distracted drivers? It doesn't make truck driving easy. Legalization could make it worse.

What drugs do you want to legalize – all of them? I can picture somebody hitting you with their car and coming over to chew your face off. Parents do not want to see their kids commit suicide. Would you want your kids to have access to drugs that could kill them or leave them mindless?

I don't foresee any major changes in our laws for some time – with the exception of marijuana. And that might be a a mistake?
You can be sure that legalization is not going to make it worse. It certainly SOUNDS reasonable, but the available data shows that is unlikely to happen. Anyone who wants marijuana can get it now. Since that involves risk, no matter how small, current users are willing to participate in risky behavior. I think you would agree that driving under the influence of anything is risky behavior. So the greatest risk is right now.

Studies have shown that where marijuana is decriminalized, there has not been a dramatic increase in use. But even if there were a lot of people who are not using marijuana because it's illegal, than you are talking about people who generally obey the law, so it is likely they would still obey traffic laws and not drive while under the influence, with all the risk penalities that involves. So your arguement falls apart.

By the way, the people chewing on other people are likely using something other than marijuana, because, as the toxicoligist in the Florida incident said, the bath salt makers are constantly changing their formulations to keep ahead of the law, so that all the chemicals they use are legal. He further said that there is no way that a lab could keep ahead of these guys in developing tests to check for these chemicals, and certainly no way for the labs to know what the interaction of those chemicals could do when they interact in the human body. These bath salts are legal until they are specifically made illegal, so legalizing marijuana, cocaine, etc. would do nothing to prevent someone from chewing on you.

I love this statement, "Would you want your kids to have access to drugs that could kill them or leave them mindless?". They have that access now at many gas stations and other places where bath salts are sold. Another example of the Drug War not working.

While drugs, such as marijuana, remain illegal, and bath salts remain legal, there will be an incentive to create more types of bath salts. Making marijuana legal would go a long way to discouraging the development of bath salts, since they are made to circumvent the law and give you a "legal" high.

Yes, I want all drugs legalized, taxed, regulated and controlled, as best we can, knowing that it will not be perfect. Think of harm reduction as the goal. I want everything sold at licquor or drug stores where minors can not purchase. I want addiction treated as a medical problem, the way we treat alcohol addiction now. I want this because what we are doing now clearly does not work.

I don't want more cops involved. That will just increase the violence. The problem is not a lack of cops or money being spent by the DEA and local police. The problem is that we have identified the problem incorrectly as a law enforcement problem, when if it would be a problem at all (think meth), it's a social problem, or medical problem.

When we finally get this we will be on the road to reducing the harm to society of drug abuse, not use, and we will make real progress.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
You can be sure that legalization is not going to make it worse. It certainly SOUNDS reasonable, but the available data shows that is unlikely to happen. Anyone who wants marijuana can get it now. Since that involves risk, no matter how small, current users are willing to participate in risky behavior. I think you would agree that driving under the influence of anything is risky behavior. So the greatest risk is right now.

Studies have shown that where marijuana is decriminalized, there has not been a dramatic increase in use. But even if there were a lot of people who are not using marijuana because it's illegal, than you are talking about people who generally obey the law, so it is likely they would still obey traffic laws and not drive while under the influence, with all the risk penalities that involves. So your arguement falls apart.

By the way, the people chewing on other people are likely using something other than marijuana, because, as the toxicoligist in the Florida incident said, the bath salt makers are constantly changing their formulations to keep ahead of the law, so that all the chemicals they use are legal. He further said that there is no way that a lab could keep ahead of these guys in developing tests to check for these chemicals, and certainly no way for the labs to know what the interaction of those chemicals could do when they interact in the human body. These bath salts are legal until they are specifically made illegal, so legalizing marijuana, cocaine, etc. would do nothing to prevent someone from chewing on you.

I love this statement, "Would you want your kids to have access to drugs that could kill them or leave them mindless?". They have that access now at many gas stations and other places where bath salts are sold. Another example of the Drug War not working.

While drugs, such as marijuana, remain illegal, and bath salts remain legal, there will be an incentive to create more types of bath salts. Making marijuana legal would go a long way to discouraging the development of bath salts, since they are made to circumvent the law and give you a "legal" high.

Yes, I want all drugs legalized, taxed, regulated and controlled, as best we can, knowing that it will not be perfect. Think of harm reduction as the goal. I want everything sold at licquor or drug stores where minors can not purchase. I want addiction treated as a medical problem, the way we treat alcohol addiction now. I want this because what we are doing now clearly does not work.

I don't want more cops involved. That will just increase the violence. The problem is not a lack of cops or money being spent by the DEA and local police. The problem is that we have identified the problem incorrectly as a law enforcement problem, when if it would be a problem at all (think meth), it's a social problem, or medical problem.

When we finally get this we will be on the road to reducing the harm to society of drug abuse, not use, and we will make real progress.
Regardless of what you think; our laws will not change overnight.

Marijuana was the only substance found in the blood of the face eater. You can talk about all the other possibilities – but there is no proof. There is always the chance that the marijuana was adulterated with a new synthetic?

I will always have problems with legalization. Our government and our users cannot agree on what percentage of these narcotics and hallucinogenics are too much. Pot is a great example; THC remains in our blood and hair for a very long time. So; how much is too much to drive and how much is too much to work? I am not saying that our governments standards are too high or too low. I just know that the two sides are miles apart.

I want safe roads and I want safe neighbor hoods. While you say that our kids can get the drugs now; I would not want to be part of making it easier or giving them a stamp of approval.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,104,942 times
Quote:
No, alcohol cannot "in some ways be as or more dangerous than marijuana". If you do the research into just how many deaths can be directly attributed to alcohol, the danger label is squarely in the alcohol camp. Not even close. Also, alcohol is physically addictive, increases aggression, damages your kidneys and liver, etc. No matter how socially acceptable it is, it's bad for you on many levels.

People who are using marijuana to relieve pain, control spasms, or simulate their appetite, are not trying to get high. If you had done any research, which I doubt, based on your other misinformed posts, you would know that medical marijuana has varying amounts of THC and the other canniboids in it. It's the THC that produces the high. It is possible, not only to get marijuana with low levels of THC, but also get marijuana with higher levels of the effective compounds for pain relief.

To people who are chronically or fatally ill, there is only one goal, to be and act as normal as possible for as long as they remain alive. It is not about getting high. I hope you never have to find that out first hand, like I have. Your assumption is very offensive.

Even non medical users, or at least those who don't qualify as medical users under their state's laws, can and do use marijuana for purposes other than getting high, such as anxiety, insomnia, headache (it's faster than asprin) as well as other aliments of greater or lesser gravity.

There are now 17 states that disagree with you. What do they know that you don't?

Put down you alcoholic beverage and do some real research, it will do wonders to remove your preconceived notions, based on nothing more than, "how you feel".
Be fair now. Mr. Yuk did say later, after I asked him, that he supported marijuana for medical use.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
California is a very big state. Alot is going on there on both sides of the issues. Groups are both trying to get marijuana legalized and other groups are trying to impose regulations, some ridiculous and some thoughtful. The State Attorney General is trying to shut down almost all access to marijuana.

Having California re-think it's implamentation of medical marijuana is a positive thing. Southern California, the more conservative part of the state, has certainly botched medical marijuana, but the more northern communities have done a better job of regulation, taxation and control.

If you discount the fact that marijuana is illegal, and all the stuff that brings with it - which would be the only fair way to compare alcohol with marijuana, than your anecdotal story about your family just doesn't ring true. Any retired cop will tell you that when they were working they'd much rather confront stoners than alcoholics. I know retired cops, I don't know any that are active, so maybe those on active duty would have a different view. In any case, no one would claim that marijuana makes someone more aggressive, which alcohol definately does, at least in higher doses.

All use is not abuse. That is true for alcohol and marijuana. If there was actual abuse going onrather than use, you can't expect a good outcome. The good news is that only a very small minority of either alcohol or marijuana users would qualify as abusers by any credible metric.

Booze is relatively cheap because it is legal. Anything on the black market will have a premium added because it's illegal. If marijuana were legal this would not have been an issue. However, that doesn't absolve a low life relative that would steal from their own kin for any reason. Sorry to break it to you but there are people that steal money for booze too.

One person's family experiance with alcohol and marijuana doesn't say anything definitive about either. There is so much unbiased research out there (and a lot of biased research too). You should try researching the subject first, and than tell us your conclusions, because right now you are basing your conclusions on a very small sample that, I can assure you, does not fit the facts.

Saying that alcohol is less dangerous than marijuana is ridiculous.
fyi---as a professional----working in the drug and alcohol field in addition to other issues that go along with it---i have done "research"--part of my job requirements----marijuana abuse/use does lead to physical dependency and the abuse of more potent drugs----depending what is cut into it--the users out of control behave just as dangerously as nasty drunks plus--stealing money for booze is lest costly to the victim(do u know anyone that steals money to get a hit of expensive champagne)

btw
--my opinion comes from working with the actual families that have been impacted by both drugs and alcohol

Old 09-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:

addiction is treated as a medical problem too since the 90's fyi---legalization of all harmful substances is insane----the things that are legal now have little to no consequences for not following procedures to ensure compliance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania