Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times

Advertisements

I love bridges and tunnels, but tunnels that go underwater freak me out

Nexis those pictures are gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I love bridges and tunnels, but tunnels that go underwater freak me out

Nexis those pictures are gorgeous!
The worlds longest Tunnel for cars is 15.2 Miles long in Norway.....there are 2 Turnaround sites...

The Worlds longest Railway Tunnel is in the Swiss Alps and set to open in 2016 its 35 miles long....its Sister to the East is 21 Miles long and opened in 2007... Its part of the Global Highway and Railway Network...set to be completed by 2035 meaning you can drive around half the World , Africa, Europe & Asia.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
There's a pretty high overpass over the Lehigh River right after the Lehigh Tunnel, but as long as you keep your eye on the road, you shouldn't have any issues. Plus it's a two lane highway, so it's wider and not as scary. My mother can make it over without issue, and she has a horrible fear of heights, so you should be fine.
I forgot about that. Have they finished rebuilding it?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyLover View Post
OMG. I just saw a picture, and it looks scary. Thanks for the warning.
How do you plan to get across the Mississippi?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I forgot about that. Have they finished rebuilding it?
Yeah they did a pretty good job too.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The worlds longest Tunnel for cars is 15.2 Miles long in Norway.....there are 2 Turnaround sites...

The Worlds longest Railway Tunnel is in the Swiss Alps and set to open in 2016 its 35 miles long....its Sister to the East is 21 Miles long and opened in 2007... Its part of the Global Highway and Railway Network...set to be completed by 2035 meaning you can drive around half the World , Africa, Europe & Asia.
These are pretty neat. I don't think they would freak me out. They probably see fewer traffic jams than the NYC tunnels

Old 11-21-2012, 05:12 AM

25 posts, read 40,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
How do you plan to get across the Mississippi?
Let's see...on either 90 or 94. A low, wide bridge, I hope?

Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 AM

Those are cool photos. I'm cool with tunnels. I regularly travel on the train on the Eurotunnel under the English Channel. Peace of cake!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 AM

OK, one more question. I noticed when looking at the map that the Appalachian Mtns appear to start just after Milton while on 80. Is the elevation high? I ask because I'm wondering if it would be best to stop for the night before that in case I get stuck in traffic and end up not getting to the area until it's dark. What do you guys think?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyLover View Post
OK, one more question. I noticed when looking at the map that the Appalachian Mtns appear to start just after Milton while on 80. Is the elevation high? I ask because I'm wondering if it would be best to stop for the night before that in case I get stuck in traffic and end up not getting to the area until it's dark. What do you guys think?
Sorry, I overlooked your question. For cars; Route 80 mountains (east of the Mississippi) are not high. You can do the Google “Earth” of the area. I believe that the highest elevations are around 3,000 feet.

The major eastern problems with these mountains (hills; if you are from out West); is inclement weather. As your trip gets closer; check the weather station for a ten day forecast for some of the areas that you will travel through. If they would predict bad storms that would effect northern routs; you might want to take southern routes. Trucking, when I was traveling to CA, we would take 80, 40 or 10 – depending on severe driving conditions. Of course we would take the shortest route when possible – fuel cost too much. However; it is better to keep the wheels turning - than to sit for hours or days in stopped traffic.

It is imperative that you watch the weather as you approach the Rockies. They will shut down the interstates during some storms. They can and will restrict some traffic. Under normal conditions – you should not have any problems. Just pay attention.

For a while I would cross our country and return (with a driving partner) every week.

Have a safe trip and let us know how you made out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania