Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:28 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofpa View Post
Back when I was looking for a job I tried the online job resources and they sucked. I even contacted them directly and they gave me no response. It's an employers market and the sad fact is they will overlook people like me because I don't have years of experience. Maybe now it's different that I have been with a company for awhile but I am looking for a way to cut through that BS as these employers are wasting my friends time by posting a job but deleting his messages when he contacts them. He has experience but not much in the way of holding jobs for years. I went through that for 6 months before finding work and I don't want to see my friends time wasted like that. That is why I am thinking a head hunter would be more effective.

Regardless, I appreciate the suggestions especially the suggestions posted at the end of your post. I will pass that info onto him right away.
TBH headhunting never really caught on in NEPA the way it did in large cities. He might try temp employment agencies, but in NEPA those jobs usually consist of $8/hour office or warehouse jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofpa View Post
Me and my friend eventually wanted to start our own Hookah Bar but now he is telling me with the smoking laws that would be impossible to do, plus he doesn't have the financial support to get anything started. I have steady work but I am making car payments so I don't have enough extra money myself. I'd love to start a business with him since he is very business savvy but small businesses have a very high failure rate and other than the Hookah Bar we have no other ideas.

Could you recommend the type of businesses that might be a good place to start looking? We already got some good ideas here but more would always be welcomed.
You don't need very much capital to start a business administering or designing websites. A little bit of money to advertise your availability and a computer and high speed internet connection is just about it.

A "hookah bar?" You can't be serious.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:56 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
TBH headhunting never really caught on in NEPA the way it did in large cities. He might try temp employment agencies, but in NEPA those jobs usually consist of $8/hour office or warehouse jobs.
Manpower temps at Sanofi start at $13 (day shift), $14 (second shift) and $15 (third shift). I also think they even get more at the Walmart Distribution center (but sometimes that is not eight hour a day work).

The Manpower agency is in Tannersville; if anybody is interested. Both the jobs mentioned usually only last months and not all year. I do not know if they are currently hiring – but anybody can check. Tannersville ph# is 570-619-8090.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You don't need very much capital to start a business administering or designing websites. A little bit of money to advertise your availability and a computer and high speed internet connection is just about it.

For anybody that owns a pickup or panel truck; topping asphalt driveways is a great way to make money in the warmer months (nights are not supposed to go below fifty degrees with many toppings). The transportation is the big investment (if you do not own a van or pickup). All you need is elbow grease and and the ability to give an estimate. You could work on time and material or contract. A stirring tool (that fits in a power drill) for the five galleon buckets and the topping squeegees/brooms are the only tools you need (besides old work shoes and clothes).

PS Don't bid on big driveways until you get experience – you could take on more than you could handle.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,507 times
After using the usual sites, I ran across Job Annex, and they had listings for some companies I had never seen elsewhere:

Wilkes Barre, PA Employment Classifieds | The Job Annex

Old 05-13-2013, 03:58 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Manpower temps at Sanofi start at $13 (day shift), $14 (second shift) and $15 (third shift). I also think they even get more at the Walmart Distribution center (but sometimes that is not eight hour a day work).

The Manpower agency is in Tannersville; if anybody is interested. Both the jobs mentioned usually only last months and not all year. I do not know if they are currently hiring – but anybody can check. Tannersville ph# is 570-619-8090.
Sanofi is super hard to get into though, isn't it? That might be a good choice for him temporarily, but from the OP I get the impression that his friend would prefer to work within his field.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM

20 posts, read 22,692 times
Quote:
That's a damn shame, I guess we will have to try Manpower and contacting the businesses you guys mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

Well with designing websites I assume nearly everyone does that now a days and the competition is stiff, I really don't know much about business administering. I assume you find someone who owns a business but wants to take a hands off approach with it and have someone run it for them. I wouldn't even know how to get started with that.

As for the Hookah Bar, yes we're serious. It has quite a following with people in our age group (We have been to a few on Friday nights back in the city and have seen some major money spent and they used crappy Hookah tobacco at these places) and we feel if we setup in a college town it would be a serious money maker.

Quote:

Excellent information, thank you. That's even better money than I am making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
After using the usual sites, I ran across Job Annex, and they had listings for some companies I had never seen elsewhere:

Wilkes Barre, PA Employment Classifieds | The Job Annex
Thank you Frank, that link will be quite helpful.

Quote:
Sanofi is super hard to get into though, isn't it? That might be a good choice for him temporarily, but from the OP I get the impression that his friend would prefer to work within his field.
He would prefer to find work in his field but he will probably setting for something else if he has no other option.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
There is or was a Hookah Bar in Scranton, not that popular and Scranton is a college town.

As far as age groups, demographics, etc... this is NEPA, its worlds apart from the city. It's not even in the same universe as NYC, so take that into mind when looking to open a business. Many have opened and closed before you.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
It isn't that hard to get in. However; the job is not for everybody – especially the flu department. It is fairly hard work and demands good attendance. Also some people are squeamish about eggs.

Once you have worked for three months, as a Manpower Temp, you can access and apply for permanent jobs with Sanofi (considerably more money + benefits). It is difficult to get in as a full time employee. But; you never know exactly what they will be looking for. They have had a freeze for the last few years – but that could change; depending on their needs.

I have been there, as a temp, for the last five years. This fits in good with my retirement – work some and retire some.

PS Glad to be of assistance chrisofpa!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM

20 posts, read 22,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
There is or was a Hookah Bar in Scranton, not that popular and Scranton is a college town.

As far as age groups, demographics, etc... this is NEPA, its worlds apart from the city. It's not even in the same universe as NYC, so take that into mind when looking to open a business. Many have opened and closed before you.
Well we planned on doing it in Northern New Jersey in a college town there since we know that crowd is into it. However that was an idea we had from a few years ago, I don't see my friend getting into a position where he will have the capital to get started any time soon. It would be nice to go into business with him but from what I have seen you're playing a game of Russian Roulette when starting a business.

Quote:
It isn't that hard to get in. However; the job is not for everybody – especially the flu department. It is fairly hard work and demands good attendance. Also some people are squeamish about eggs.

Once you have worked for three months, as a Manpower Temp, you can access and apply for permanent jobs with Sanofi (considerably more money + benefits). It is difficult to get in as a full time employee. But; you never know exactly what they will be looking for. They have had a freeze for the last few years – but that could change; depending on their needs.

I have been there, as a temp, for the last five years. This fits in good with my retirement – work some and retire some.

PS Glad to be of assistance chrisofpa!
I actually believe one of my friends up here worked for them as a temp a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania