Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times

Advertisements

A puzzle in blood and sorrow | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre & Scranton PA

Quote:
Out of 67 counties, the county was tied for third with Berks County for domestic-related homicides, according to the report by Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

According to Luzerne County court records and homicide statistics kept by The Times Leader, 21 of the 70 homicides, or 30 percent, since 2006 in the county were domestic related.

The two most recent were the fatal stabbing of Evaristo Tlatenchi, 40, inside his Dana Street home in Wilkes-Barre on Jan. 29, and the murder/suicide of Caitlin McGuire, 24, and by her boyfriend, Matthew Brokenshire, 24, inside her Franklin Township home Sunday night.
An interesting correalation that may be at play in Luzerne County in regards to domestic violence:

Domestic Violence Facts

Quote:
Partner abuse is associated with a variety of negative health behaviors (Heise and Garcia-Moreno 2002; Plichta 2004; Roberts, Auinger, and Klein 2005; Silverman et al. 2001). Studies show that the more severe the violence, the stronger its relationship to negative health behaviors by victims.

-Engaging in high-risk sexual behavior
-Unprotected sex
-Decreased condom use
-Early sexual initiation
In addition to the above the risk factors for domestic violence are as follows:

Quote:
Risk Factors for Domestic Violence

-Individual Risk Factors
-Low self-esteem
-Low income
Societal Factors
-Traditional gender norms (e.g., women should stay at home, not enter workforce, and be submissive; men support the family and make the decisions)
So many of these factors and correlative situations are reminiscent of Luzerne County's many issues.

What is your take on this?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-08-2011 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: Mod cut and edit due to copyright issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 AM

If you click the links you can see the full list of factors I was referring to.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
The high rate of drinking and gambling problems around here, as well as economic problems in this area might play into this....one of the biggest thing couples argue about is money....and if one of them is drinking, gambling, or smoking/shooting up the rent/mortgage/food money away, that could lead to a lot of marital problems....as well as the lack of a job or low pay.

Also...the rate of people who have casual sex and move in together because the girlfriend got pregnant, and they're not really in love, could also contribute to the domestic violence problem.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 AM

Saying that "traditional gender norms" leads to domestic problems tells me that that must have been written by some feminist organization. There is nothing wrong with having mom home to take care of the kids. Honestly, I think kids are better off not being shipped to daycare when they're barely a few months old and spending 9 hours a day there. Now, I don't always think that it should be mom home with the kids...if mom is making more money, I see nothing wrong with stay-at-home dads. I would love to be a stay-at-home dad.

The fact that stay-at-home parents are looked down upon in today's society is nothing more than people these days being obsessed with the almighty dollar. I'd rather have my kids be able to be home with a parent and come home after school to mom than to have the latest SUV with TV screens and a house on a cul-de-sac.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 AM

My husband and I have taken turns being the stay at home/working parents. Please don't blame feminists for an opinion you don't agree with. I am a feminist and believe that all people should have a choice as to their life paths that isn't based on what's between their legs.

Another thing is the amount of people who have guns that shouldn't. It's too easy to pick up a gun and shoot out of anger. Now, I don't think people should never have a gun but I do wish people would be self aware enough to realize maybe they shouldn't own one.

As far as casual sex/moving in together because of pregnancy: TOTALLY agree. I do not believe that a baby should force a marriage or a relationship. On the same token, just like guns, I do wish people would be more responsible when this issue arises (pregnancy). I will not advocate any option but people should be prepared to be a parent when they have a child. But that doesn't mean they should be a husband or wife as well.

As for finances? Again, totally agree. Our parents (my husband and mine) always drop hints that we aren't "successful" enough because we don't have many things they think we should. *shrug* We are happy, our kids are taken care of and we are a very close family. That's what matters to us.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,481 times
1) Alcohol, 2) Drugs 3) Poverty level. They are all pervasive in this area. It doesn't bode well for Luzerne, being tied with Berks county. If memory serves me correctly, not too long ago Reading (located in Berks) was named one of the most violent cities in America.

As a personal opinion, I think many parts of the area are depressing as well. You expect run down areas of Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton, no city is without them. But when many of the "suburbs" of those cities are almost as equally run down, it really gives you an overall sense of hopelessness. Why treat my wife/gf/partner/bf, with respect and dignity if I can't even show that towards my front yard or community I live in.

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 02-08-2011 at 09:27 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,167 times
Still 70 murders in 5 years in Luzerne County doesn't come anywhere near the probably 500+ that have occurred in say Delaware County in the same time period.

Just trying to place it in perspective and see from another angle. Still, not happy news by any means.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Still 70 murders in 5 years in Luzerne County doesn't come anywhere near the probably 500+ that have occurred in say Delaware County in the same time period.

Just trying to place it in perspective and see from another angle. Still, not happy news by any means.
you are exaggerating a bit. delaware county had 35 homicides last year and according to this article, that was a jump of 52% over the previous year.
Delaware County murders jump by 52 percent in 2010 | Pennsylvania State News.Net

not to mention the population of delaware county is almost double that of luzerne.

when you look at those factors the two counties are not that different

Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
you are exaggerating a bit. delaware county had 35 homicides last year and according to this article, that was a jump of 52% over the previous year.
Delaware County murders jump by 52 percent in 2010 | Pennsylvania State News.Net

not to mention the population of delaware county is almost double that of luzerne.

when you look at those factors the two counties are not that different
The fact that Delaware County only had 35 is pretty amazing considering Chester is in Delaware County.....probably 33 of those 35 happened in Chester.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,167 times
Seriously, only 35 murders in 2010 in Chester? Wow. Maybe they are cleaning it up. Thats amazing. I take it back, Luzerne is in big trouble. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania