Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,921 times

Advertisements

I made an appointment for a family crisis . They said they were having trouble finding a provider that would accept my insurance {blue cross blue shield}. The quickest a couselor could see me is nov 21. What do these college educated people think the definition of crisis is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 02:17 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,785,897 times
Homicide Investigation In Luzerne County | WNEP.com

Old 11-29-2013, 02:43 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,349,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post

That's terrible.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Well, I can say that the kids are better off when there is a parent at home....I still don't understand how people, unless its a total last resort, can put infants in daycare centers for 9 hours a day....basically only seeing them for a few hours a night between dinner and bedtime....I know a lot of people who think its a necessity to put babies in daycare and keep working full time, and its not really out of financial necessity, as they do it to maintain a higher standard of living (new house, higher priced cars, expensive vacations)....this society seems to push that 2 parents MUST work full time, and looks down on stay-at-home parents.....

I know this is old but for the benefit of others I must address this post. I suggest you take a look at those using daycare centers. Many of the babies there are children of dual income families out of necessity. Many of the parents work at factories, distribution centers and retailers; none of which pay enough to support a family on a single income.

Society does not dictate two parents working. The economy does. The fact that wages have remained stagnant for the better part of three decades dictates the necessity of DIHs.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I don't totally disagree with this, but that's an issue of poor child care choices, not one of having two working parents.

There seems to be this belief that people must only work if they need the money. What about women and men who enjoy their careers? It is entirely possible for two people to work and raise a successful family. The trick is to have proper child care in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Wouldn't they enjoy the career of being a parent? If the mother or father doesn't enjoying the career of being a stay at home parent, more than the career choice outside the home, maybe they picked the wrong career?

Although I understand in some instances child care is necessary at an early age, it should be an exception, not the rule.

Even if a family can afford a Goddard or Montessori school, it still isn't a better alternative than a parent at home, at least in first 3 or 4 years of life.

Many of those parents are working in careers which benefit society as well. Not all parents enjoy being stay at home nor should they have to. The stay at home model as we know it today is fairly new, coming about during the Industrial Revolution. Before then, agricultural needs of farming families meant children often stayed with older siblings or extended family while mom & dad were working on the farm.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Good point, Annie. But there ARE services available. Look in Kingston alone! My though - people are reluctant to use them! The Roman Catholic Church, and the presence of so many people who come from ethnic groups that are known for what are called "strong family systems" - families where people rely on one another through out the life span.Get together more than on holidays, speak every day by phone etc.

The flip side of these "strong family systems" come with the ethos that says "we keep things in the FAMILY" - so what does one do when the FAMILY IS the PROBLEM? (there is a lot more wrong with "strong family systems" but I am not going to give a lecture here)

I am NOT categorically against the Roman Catholic Church - they are after all providing my kids with a fine education - but their doctrine is very traditional - i.e. gender ridged. And I am not Catholic.
The Catholic Church IS one of the most tolerant when it comes to drinking and gambling - but NOT when it comes to divorce, which is sometimes the only way out of an abusive relationship.
Wrong. Social services in this area are completely overburdened. There are so many people who need help and the entire valley is feeling the squeeze.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:00 AM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many of those parents are working in careers which benefit society as well. Not all parents enjoy being stay at home nor should they have to. The stay at home model as we know it today is fairly new, coming about during the Industrial Revolution. Before then, agricultural needs of farming families meant children often stayed with older siblings or extended family while mom & dad were working on the farm.
You do realize it's in poor taste to debate someone who has passed away and is not able to defend his or her stance, correct?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You do realize it's in poor taste to debate someone who has passed away and is not able to defend his or her stance, correct?
According to whom? You? Sorry pal, I don't care what your opinion is of my posting.

1. I didn't realize that person had passed away.
2. Regardless, thousands of people read this forum every day and we are encouraged to update the postings.

BTW Paul, before you get your panties too tight there was speculation that the poster in question actually did not die because there were posts from a "new" member of the Lehigh Valley community who sounded suspiciously like LVN. Perhaps you should remove the 2x4 from your hindquarters before you start judging others for doing what they are supposed to do here - post.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 AM

And do you have anything to add to the actual topic or did you just need a dose of morning superiority to start your day?

Old 11-30-2013, 07:41 AM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Just received every reminder I needed as to why so little of value is discussed on the NEPA sub-forum anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania