Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times

Advertisements

I really thought people were referring to the place across from the flea market, because the flyer I got just said Saylorsburg. I didn't know there was a different location that had a compound, because I don't read the Pocono Record, but I will look for the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:32 PM

I read that, and it is shocking. I have had so many other things to focus on in the past few years, I guess stuff is happening right around me.

I drive Weir Lake Rd and Meixell Valley every day and don't venture the other back roads.. I hope they are not as genuine a concern as I read.

See how helpful I was, lol.. see how rumors get started?

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I read that, and it is shocking. I have had so many other things to focus on in the past few years, I guess stuff is happening right around me.

I drive Weir Lake Rd and Meixell Valley every day and don't venture the other back roads.. I hope they are not as genuine a concern as I read.

See how helpful I was, lol.. see how rumors get started?
My 'in-laws' used to own that location on Mt. Eaton Road. I have visited that location many times before the present occupants. My wife was a foster child in their care some years ago. Their adopted son (I believe) inherited the old resort and then sold it to the present tenants. He has now died.

We have not been back to that old resort for many years. We do go to the flee market from time to time. We also love Sober's Meat Market located on the old Wilkes-Barre Turnpike (I always wondered how that got it's name) just before the Chestnuthill Dinner. Have you ever tried their ring baloney? The best time to stop at Sober's is late Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday - that is right after they finish making their baloney.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:52 AM

Yes, Sober's has the best meats... My husband and I were just talking about going for some ring baloney.

We call the old Wilkes-Barre Turnpike Old 115 till this day.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Yes, Sober's has the best meats... My husband and I were just talking about going for some ring baloney.

We call the old Wilkes-Barre Turnpike Old 115 till this day.
We have been going to Sober's for maybe forty years? The only problem is that recently all meat has really gone up in price. But; their hamburger taste like hamburger - instead of sawdust. We like their pork chops, stew meat and roast. Plus I like their scrapple. I also like their jerky when I can catch it.

Do you buy their chipped beef that they cut into cubes and freeze? It makes great steak sandwiches. Their smoked and salted (dry) chipped beef is also great for S.O.S.- for us that reminisce about our military days. That dry chipped beef is also great for us on a high salt diet!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:34 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I get a little confused on the compounds in Saylorsburg. You have the one just south of the flee market and then you have the one on Mt. Eaton Road. I thought the one just south of the flee market was Hindu and the one on Mt. Eaton Road was Muslim? The one on Mt. Eaton Road was featured in our local paper as having ties with Turkey (I think). Perhaps you can give me some insight?
They are both one and the same....what you are seeing on Mt. Eaton road is the entrance to the compound which extends all the way to the other entrance on Rt. 115 across from the flea market....

Old 02-19-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
They are both one and the same....what you are seeing on Mt. Eaton road is the entrance to the compound which extends all the way to the other entrance on Rt. 115 across from the flea market....
I believe you are wrong on that one. If you do the old Google Earth program you will see they are one mile apart. There is farmland and a race track in between the two enclaves. I also think that Poconoproud is right with one that is Hindu and one is Muslim.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:47 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I believe you are wrong on that one. If you do the old Google Earth program you will see they are one mile apart. There is farmland and a race track in between the two enclaves. I also think that Poconoproud is right with one that is Hindu and one is Muslim.
You are correct....not thinking properly when I replied....my apologies....

Old 02-22-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
You are correct....not thinking properly when I replied....my apologies....
That's OK! Thats why they call us humans.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM

11 posts, read 12,690 times
Hi Everybody,
I currently live in Syracuse, NY. I am looking to relocate to Saylorsburg/Effort area. I am looking for a house with about an acre or so of property. I have a friend in Birches Three,so I wanted to stay close to that area. Would anyone be able to give me some advice on surrounding area ? Maybe Brodheadsville ? I want to avoid going too high up the mountain towards Tobyhanna. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was told to come here from another thread area that I was posting to. I am slightly familiar with the Chestnuthill, Reeders area as well. Thanks in advance.

Sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania