Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:04 PM

755 posts, read 2,334,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy367 View Post
i just did a quick search of Shohola. just at a glance is that near milford? i feel that could definitly be a point of interest cause the bus even though cutting it close runs there and the train isnt far away. i definitly will be joining a company when i move. i love firefighting, just have to get used to not having my ladder truck since there arent highrises lol

Shohola is the next town up from Milford. Borders Barryville, NY (Sullivan Cty). Not far from Port Jervis either. Neither Milford nor Shohola have ladders. Dingman Twsp FD does (Sta 26/ New Page 1 ). You also might want to look there but I think they have quite a few gated community type areas.

If you check out the LINKS section on each of the PA FD websites, you can see what apparatus each one has.

Any other questions, ask away....especially FD related...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM

16 posts, read 35,251 times
eh ill take no ladder vs gated community and homeowners association. 80% of the time when we roll with the ladder it isnt used anyway we just run in without it. busy day today ice and 5 major highways intersecting makes great rollover conditions.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM

...too funny.

Milford covers Route 84...they had quite a few jobs out there today. A few cars spinning off the road and I think one tractor trailer call.

What company are you on and what is your yearly call volume? Hubby is suffering withdrawls out here in the sticks. They get MAYBE 3 calls a week between fire & ems.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Just a point of information: Would you recommend the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area to a member of a minority group? My friends tell me that the Northern Pa. area down to Reading is wall-to-wall hate groups, the KKK and the White Aryan Nation have a multitude of chapters there. They mentioned Pocono Pines, Stewartstown, Shamokin, Allentown, Thompson, Whitehall, including East Stroudsburg, and the Scranton area. They mentioned also that Towanda is best known as "Methamphetime Valley." Is all that true, or do they have a vivid imagination? I was so dissapointed to hear this, because I thought we were all God's children. Please advise, Thank you,

Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 AM

16 posts, read 35,251 times
my company is part of the sayreville fire department. we are morgan hose and chemical. our year goes nov-nov and currently we are at 814 which is a little low. i havent been on a call since july when i hurt my shoulder at my dayjob. kills me sitting at home listening to my radio. i should be back in january though and cant wait. the department wide number is somewhere around 3000 last i heard.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Just a point of information: Would you recommend the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area to a member of a minority group? My friends tell me that the Northern Pa. area down to Reading is wall-to-wall hate groups, the KKK and the White Aryan Nation have a multitude of chapters there. They mentioned Pocono Pines, Stewartstown, Shamokin, Allentown, Thompson, Whitehall, including East Stroudsburg, and the Scranton area. They mentioned also that Towanda is best known as "Methamphetime Valley." Is all that true, or do they have a vivid imagination? I was so dissapointed to hear this, because I thought we were all God's children. Please advise, Thank you,

Sorry, I can't help you with that. Hopefully one of the other members here who is closer to that area can jump in and offer some advice. SWB...where are you???

Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
Sorry, I can't help you with that. Hopefully one of the other members here who is closer to that area can jump in and offer some advice. SWB...where are you???
ff18wife: Here I am!!!

RUBIES77: I suppose it all depends on what sort of miority you happen to be. I'm an openly-gay male that is relatively well-accepted and tolerated around here, but then again I am also a rather masculine-acting male of European descent, so most people still don't "know" about me. Those who do though were (and are) very understanding of my situation and try to do their best to not make me feel awkward or unwelcome.

I know that there have been issue as of late with African-Americans alleging that racial slurs were hurled at them by a police officer and specators during Wilkes-Barre's recent Christmas parade, but by and large I find most folks to be rather tolerant. If you happen to be a woman of African-American descent, I might suggest that you try to get in contact with Mr. Ronald Felton, a former co-worker of my father who has been the president of the local chapter of the NAACP for quite a number of years now. Speaking from a personal standpoint, the younger (under-30) generation tends to be very open-minded and tolerant about different races, cultures, ethnicities, and sexual orientations whereas some of the "old-school" types still raise eyebrows, whisper, stare, etc. as if they have more of a right to reside in the area than anyone who is not "mainstream" does.

What I can tell you though is that things are rapidly improving. For the past few decades tens of thousands of people from Greater NYC have been relocating to the Pocono Mountains, and that growth is just starting to spill over into the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area as well, bringing a fresh wave of diversity with it. As some of these "old-school" types are exposed more and more on a daily basis to people of minority status, hopefully they'll become more accustomed to them and less quick to judge. It is true that the headquarters of the KKK has recently relocated to North Central Pennsylvania (I believe to Potter County), but by and large I find most locals to be rather tolerant.

As far as Towanda is concerned, Central Bradford County is home to very many meth labs, but they are mostly assembled in rural mobile homes several miles from town on dirt roads---it isn't usually prudent to establish a drug-making operation in the heart of a busy community where your chances of being caught are much greater. The town of Towanda itself is quite quaint and attractive, but given its very, very rural locale, I'd be much more worried about someone of minority status fitting in there. I'd say your best bet would be Monroe County (Stroudsburg Area), which is now very diverse, or the increasingly-diverse Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

Best of luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
NE PA, well, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre anyways, is not hate-group territory...especially not the kkk. I think the reason is that the kkk hates Catholics, and we Catholics make up a majority of the Scr/WB population...so we're not very accepting of white sheets and burning crosses around here. You may find some uneducated comments or stereotypes directed at minorities in NEPA, mainly from the older generations...but I think its more rooted in ignorance than it is in hate around here.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy367 View Post
i agree good advise. im currently not working due to having shoulder surgery so i might take a dry run just with my car. i was actually thinking maybe busing in during the spring summer and fall and taking the train in the winter. i know 80 can be a pain in the butt once the white stuff hits and maybe the rail would be easier.
don't discount some of the communities --- remember, communities offer lower taxes. yes, some do have restrictions on property modifications and require permits to do work --- but, remember, ALL property mods in NE PA must be approved inside and outside of communities. However, most restrictions are very, very fair and are for the benefit of both you and your neighbors. I, too, went in to a community with some ambivalence....but, it was no big deal. Actually, it worked out better because no one was able to "ruin" the neighborhood with junk...everything was clean and tidy. Also, your dues will cover road maintentance, sanitation, etc. ---- living outside, your taxes are higher and you are personally responsible for sanitation, snow plowing, etc.

Just a thought!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:10 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,435 times
The community we will be in has low dues which cover sanitation (dumpsters in a central location within the community) and road maintenance which includes plowing. Yes, there are rules, but they are of the common-sense variety. Have no problem with that as I feel it offers some protection from the neighbors who love to pile up junk in their front yards & part whatever they feel like wherever they feel like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania