Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM

104 posts, read 189,982 times

Advertisements

I did research through the online maps before buying our home in Pike County and felt confident there would not be any fracking in our area. I don't think you need to worry about that here.

I'm not going to weigh in on the crime/gangs issue this time. Read through the other *recent* threads posted by people who want to move to NEPA and you'll be able to see both sides and get the info you need to make the decision for yourself.

All the best to you--we love living in the Poconos and have been very happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post

Something that is far more likely is a pipeline expansion. See here.
However, I live in a different area of Monroe where a similar pipeline was laid several years ago; it was a complete non-event and there has been no untoward event during or since. (Granted, my property wasn't directly affected -- homeowners who were affected may feel differently)
I'd like to see more natural gas in the Poconos, especially with the abundance and low prices that now prevail in the market. Hopefully if they put in another pipeline it will actually serve our area rather than just continuing on the someplace else.

Plus I'd like to see more CNG vehicles on the road. There is at least one CNG station up in Towanda in Bradford County in the heart of the Fracking District and I hear the price is really low compared to gasoline or diesel.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:20 PM

342 posts, read 798,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
So are the "good communities" and "bad communties" mixed within the same general area? Some just happened to go downhill while others did not? Or are there large areas that have these problems in general (ie. anything close to I-80)?

You look at the area within 10 miles of Tobyhanna, and you have places like Lake Naomi, Timber Trails, and Pinecrest that i think are supposed to be nice. Then within a few miles you have Pocono Farms which is supposedly depressed.
That is the exact "problem" with the poconos. Lots of gated communities are run down with overpriced HOA fees, corrupt board members with only "the look" of a nice area. Please do yourself a favor and research the area. Visit the area on a weekday/weekday, go during the day and the night. See the area in different climatic conditions. You seem like you want to do well here and with that attitude you will. I would just hate to see you lured into a run down area and regret moving here. Like I said, there are some wonderful areas but like everything they can be hit or miss. Best of luck
P.S to give you a background on my knowledge of that area. I am involved with the golf course at Pocono Farms, I know a lot of realtors and my wife works hand in hand with many of the police precincts in the poconos.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 AM

45 posts, read 115,388 times
Fracking in the poconos would be a great thing to happen for the area. Royalties plus low cost natural gas for homeowners...win win.
But don't count on fracking. Probably won't happen ever. Gas pipelines to the area, maybe some day. Right now the gas is planned to go to big cities, industrial users and possibly for export. Homeowners are low on the list.
Don't believe the "anti frackers" or the "no pipeline" wacko's. They are useful idiot's for foreign energy producers.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:41 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
There is a law from the 1930's that has to be repealed before natural gas can be exported.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:44 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBX View Post
But it is possible for fracking to go on in the Tobyhanna, correct?

padad1 - What is wrong with Tobyhanna?
Anything is possible, no one can answer that question....
no one knows what the future will bring....

Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by log living View Post
Fracking in the poconos would be a great thing to happen for the area. Royalties plus low cost natural gas for homeowners...win win.
But don't count on fracking. Probably won't happen ever. Gas pipelines to the area, maybe some day. Right now the gas is planned to go to big cities, industrial users and possibly for export. Homeowners are low on the list.
Don't believe the "anti frackers" or the "no pipeline" wacko's. They are useful idiot's for foreign energy producers.
yanno, we almost bought a home way northern PA, and natural gas was on the property, people did they're cooking with it, and heated their homes with it....
Awesome.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,808 times
Would love to see the pipelines through our area actually USED in our area too, but I'm afraid our local politicians have no interest in actually helping us get anything out of the deals they are making.

We have wells on my mother in law's farm up in the northern tier. It has not been a problem for her. Though she lives near Dimmock, and there have been plenty of problems there with a different gas company (ours is Chesapeake.)

Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 PM

472 posts, read 779,200 times
I'm in Tobyhanna often, all times of day and night all seasons of the year and I will say this, it is TOTALLY SAFE!!! It is one area that has improved ten fold over the past 10 years and continues to get better. Is it perfect??? NO and it will never be perfect. I met awesome people there over the past 4 years, some whom will be life long friends. People have been so nice to my young daughter and have welcomed us with open arms. I have worked in a NJ jail for 23 years and dealt with gangs and every sort of criminal you can imagine and Tobyhanna is safe. I have said it before and I'll say it again. If your scared of beige and brown people because you think they are all criminals and drug dealers then by all means live somewhere else. I am a 47 year old white man and I can fairly say there are some really great people in Tobyhanna of all colors of the rainbow. Drugs??? Well if you want drugs, use drugs, need drugs they are pretty much readily available anywhere on earth. Alaska the last frontier is loaded with drugs. I have a friend who is an ex co who became an Alaska State Trooper and he told me he was shocked on how much drugs were so readily available in places so beautiful you would never imagine. So yeah if you want drugs you can find them in Tobyhanna. Safe to say name a community anywhere in Pa and there probably several people you can buy drugs from. But honestly if its something your not into, interested in or looking for, you won't see it unless you have a trained eye for it. Put things in perspective if you want anything legal or illegal and have the money to buy it and have a smart phone or internet access you will find someone that is willing to get it to you if the $$$ is right. In a cabin on the last frontier, to a building in Harlem NYC to any street in the Poconos your home is what you make of it. Love your spouse, kids and your property. Treat others with respect and dignity and it will probably come back. Night People God Bless...

Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 AM

45 posts, read 115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno, we almost bought a home way northern PA, and natural gas was on the property, people did they're cooking with it, and heated their homes with it....
Awesome.
Chesapeake drilled 3 wells near my property. They also buried a large pipeline. I watched everything go in from start to finish. No problems or complaints at all. I do not get to use any of the gas in my home but I receive checks every month. The jobs and business was sorely needed in the area. A few miles away they just broke ground to build a gas fired power plant. jobs...jobs..jobs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania