Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 AM

11 posts, read 55,050 times

Advertisements

Hi! Will soon be moving and probably to the Poconos. We are looking for a safe place to live, low in crime, good schools and good, nice people. Can anyone please tell me where the best place to move in the Pocono area is. I have 2 small children and am coming from Philadelphia and want a great place to raise my kids away from all this crime. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 AM

49 posts, read 215,521 times
Gpmama sorry I can't help you, but there is a lot of good information in the Northeast PA sub forum above. Have you tried there? Good luck.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:30 PM

30 posts, read 148,124 times
Default Areas to avoid!

Avoid Tobyhanna, Mt Pocono area. Gangs, inner NYC people, slums, crime, bad schools.
Good luck! There are wonderful areas in the Poconos, maybe someone can offer more advice?

Old 07-22-2007, 05:46 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Default Some Places

While I feel the more I listen to the news that crime is just about everywhere( in the US ) nowadays. I will give you the name of a few towns that seem to have the least problems around the Pocono area. Ones that come to mind anyway.
I'd head south of Stroudsburg, down route 33 ........to Sciota, Saylorsburg, Brodheadsville. Good places ,and Brodheadsville uses the Pleasant Valley Schools which have a good reputation. ( I am not sure if the other towns go there also)
Off of 715 ....Reeders is a good area.
If you want a lake community that is not gated, and not full of crime, not to far off of the beaten path........I'd say Emerald Lakes.( Does go under Mt Pocono but not in the bad area that has been mentioned already)
Blue Mt. Lakes off of 447 has not gained a bad rep. as yet, anyhow........it does have a small lake area and pool. That is closer(N) to Stroudsburg.
So coming into the Poconos this is where I would head. Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:01 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,714 times
MountainTop, PA is about 20 minutes west of the Poconos (a suburb or Wilkes-Barre) and in my opinion is a wonderful community!

I lived there for 3 years and loved it! Lots of transplanted people from NJ who made a killing off their houses and were able to buy beautiful homes and enjoy a nice lifestyle in PA.

Check it out - it's a great area, and the Crestwood school distrcit is one of the best in that area.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 37,755 times
Hi, Good luck, you may get less crime in the pocono's than Philly, but basically
the pocono's are where city people migrate. And the prices of homes reflect
that. If you can go further out, check out some places West, maybe even
Bloomsburg, PA. I would move there way before the Pocono's. Otter

Old 07-22-2007, 12:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
MountainTop, PA is about 20 minutes west of the Poconos (a suburb or Wilkes-Barre) and in my opinion is a wonderful community!

I lived there for 3 years and loved it! Lots of transplanted people from NJ who made a killing off their houses and were able to buy beautiful homes and enjoy a nice lifestyle in PA.

Check it out - it's a great area, and the Crestwood school distrcit is one of the best in that area.

Agreed. Mountain Top is growing at a rapid pace and has a lot of newer subdivisions that should offer something for everyone. The Ice Lakes is a newer large planned community that borders "The Ice Ponds" and has a lot of larger homes on large lots that generally range in price from $350,000-$750,000. Most other residential areas in Mountain Top will range from $175,000-$325,000 or so. There's a reasonably-priced townhome community known as "The Village at Mountaintop" as well that has townhomes in the low-$100k range, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:08 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Default And Winters........

Choosing a home is so, so, personal. The likes and dislikes of your own family have to be addressed.
When I came into Stroudsburg, I wouldn't venture to far North.........because I heard it was 10 degrees colder past Swiftwater. Since then, I have seen that come to be. While traveling through storms, I could go back and forth and it would be snowing up in Mt. Pocono.......and not snowing by my home in the East Stroudsburg area. One doctors office would let the employee leave early who lived in Mt Pocono also.
I knew someone who went to work at an A&P in Hackettstown, NJ from Mt. Pocono........she would always agree that from Swiftwater on toward Stroudsburg she would be ok.
Scranton, though has its own weather pattern. I don't find it to be all that different from Stroudsburg. I have not found it to be a snowbelt there at all......and completely love their weather.
Deerlover is right in the crime respect........
How close do you need to be to the borders, that will matter.
Looks like you have a few nice places listed to check into........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania