Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post
Thanks for this different perspective! I've been given the opposite advice though saying 'well what if the company fails.' Lots of different perspectives.
...that's true, and pretty well every perspective is 'correct' in some cases. Most views can be argued and supported, at least in part, especially anecdotally. It's about life, luck, and a lot more.

What seems most important during one's life often changes, sometimes quickly. A few decades ago, common 'wisdom' was to hook up to mega corporations like Xerox, GM, IBM, GE, Chrysler, Kodak....etc. or maybe some mid-sizers like Radio Shack, Sears, Pan American, TWA, SAAB ... etc. (these are a few quick examples I'm sure there are plenty others). In today's agile culture many more companies flash and burn but, as always, sometimes people land on their feet (as in the past), especially if they have skills and luck.

In fact if we look back a lifetime or less, cities like Detroit and Hartford were often recommended as places to go and NYC, Seattle, and Austin might not have made the top of the list.

History is 'replete' (a fav word among some...) with young 'progressive' thinkers (or whatever they were called back then) who broke the mold to seek their fortunes. Some with great success, others not so much. Most probably ended up somewhere in the great 'middle' realizing how short life is and dealing with their changing/ed perceptions of priorities and values.

Good luck in your quest. Remember you are receiving advice, not answers. There is a difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post
Thanks for this different perspective! I've been given the opposite advice though saying 'well what if the company fails.' Lots of different perspectives.
Of course it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find a new corporation in your field. Don't limit yourself; sometimes the 'perfect' job could be right in front of you unseen. Sometimes people have to take lesser jobs just to get a foot in the door. Think of every working experience you have as a building block. Keep track of your accomplishments and make sure you add those to your resume.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:09 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Of course it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find a new corporation in your field. Don't limit yourself; sometimes the 'perfect' job could be right in front of you unseen. Sometimes people have to take lesser jobs just to get a foot in the door. Think of every working experience you have as a building block. Keep track of your accomplishments and make sure you add those to your resume.
I think the type of degree the OP has is adaptable to various businesses and roles within them. Today the intersection of business, technology, media, analytic skills etc is more evident than ever. Some hiring people/companies will see it that way.

As you say every job offers things to be learned...can be a building block...and an experience worth noting. I recall a brilliant colleague...an Ivy League grad with a deep technical degree (and a great sense of humor). His resume included a summer job as an 'elephant keeper' in a zoo. He enjoyed answering questions about that job

Old 04-16-2014, 12:42 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I think the type of degree the OP has is adaptable to various businesses and roles within them. Today the intersection of business, technology, media, analytic skills etc is more evident than ever. Some hiring people/companies will see it that way.

As you say every job offers things to be learned...can be a building block...and an experience worth noting. I recall a brilliant colleague...an Ivy League grad with a deep technical degree (and a great sense of humor). His resume included a summer job as an 'elephant keeper' in a zoo. He enjoyed answering questions about that job
I was just interviewed for a better position. I also drew on a past experience working with horses and cows. I think that it went pretty good - I'll find out in a few weeks. I would like the new position - but I have had so many job offers recently that it does not make too much difference. Keep in mind that I am supposedly retired!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
Neither of us said that. I just said in my last post that there is a liberal segment, but it's very small.

Listen, you can call it being negative all you want, but I'm being realistic about the area. If someone is looking for a progressive area to work and live, I'm not going to glaze over the bad stuff just because I am liberal and know others who are. The vast majority of NEPA is NOT liberal. I don't know how you can even attempt to argue otherwise.

As far as being helpful, I think I posted valuable info on the south and NYC, and I've given an honest, realistic look at NEPA.

But just because the vast majority of NEPA is not liberal means little IMO. The vast majority of Texas isn't liberal yet many liberals live and thrive in Austin. There are pockets like this all over the country.

You call it glazing over bad stuff. I call it presenting two sides to the story.

I've never attempted to argue that NEPA is a bastion of liberal utopia. If you look over very recent posts of mine I've been quite clear that the majority of those in NEPA are negative doom and gloomers. But that doesn't negate the fact that there is a strong, intelligent and growing segment of liberal progressives here.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM

331 posts, read 639,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But just because the vast majority of NEPA is not liberal means little IMO. The vast majority of Texas isn't liberal yet many liberals live and thrive in Austin. There are pockets like this all over the country.

You call it glazing over bad stuff. I call it presenting two sides to the story.

I've never attempted to argue that NEPA is a bastion of liberal utopia. If you look over very recent posts of mine I've been quite clear that the majority of those in NEPA are negative doom and gloomers. But that doesn't negate the fact that there is a strong, intelligent and growing segment of liberal progressives here.
You cannot compare Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to Austin, a city with more than 865k population and a MAJOR university.

You say these pockets are all over, so I ask you this: why should anyone choose to live in NEPA with a dearth of employment opportunities in pretty much every single possible sector if they can get the same liberal neighbors elsewhere?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post

This is very true, especially today.

With the OP's degree and career goals she can do many things in many industries. She definitely has the base knowledge needed to advance.

If she hasn't found a job here then it is smart to relocate.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
You cannot compare Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to Austin, a city with more than 865k population and a MAJOR university.

You say these pockets are all over, so I ask you this: why should anyone choose to live in NEPA with a dearth of employment opportunities in pretty much every single possible sector if they can get the same liberal neighbors elsewhere?

There are two very respectable postsecondary educational institutions in this city. My point was that there are liberal oases in conservative deserts.

Some people choose to stay because they have secured good employment with better than average pay. Others stay because they like the area, have connections and feel this is home. Others stay because of the lower cost of living and the convenient access to the Philadelphia and NYC areas. I cannot answer for everyone else. I can only give my experiences and what I've observed as a native who has stayed.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM

76 posts, read 112,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This is very true, especially today.

With the OP's degree and career goals she can do many things in many industries. She definitely has the base knowledge needed to advance.

If she hasn't found a job here then it is smart to relocate.

When most people think of communications degrees they seems to only think of broadcast/journalism when it really covers a vast amount of things like advertising, public relations, marketing, event planning, etc. I just applied to be a graphic designer for a nursing home, haha who knew! It can be applied to totally random businesses you might not associate with it, such as engineering. "Overall my main goal is to apply it to the tourism industry, so that is another reason i'm interested in southern states where there are lots of beach and tourism areas. that is basically the main goal for a little more clarification.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
As far as I'm concerned, if people have their mind set on leaving a place they don't like, let them. There's no point in encouraging them to stay, because they'll just be miserable and drag other people down with them. The more negative people there are someplace, the more likely they'll turn people off who'd otherwise like the area. This problem has always been especially severe in Pennsylvania, even compared to other nearby states. I'd even argue that it's irrational at times, considering the biggest fans of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are more often than not people who move to those cities from elsewhere in the United States. The good news is, there are now enough of those people in those cities that they're starting to counterbalance and even be heard louder than the negative voices. This shift seemed to occur about 10 years ago.

Something else to consider: If people have a problem with where they live, it's often more a problem of person than place. For all the people who leave places that they gave a chance but ultimately determined aren't good fits for them, there are at least as many people who blame everybody else but themselves for the fact that they don't like where they live. This is the consequence of our society which has become long on narcisissm and short on introspection. These are the people who make a big scene when they leave, and then boast to everybody they left behind about how much better their lives are in order to suppress the sneaking sensation that they made a mistake, either because they're not enjoying their new lives as much as they thought, or they're starting to miss the places they left.

Instead of worrying about whether or not somebody stays, it's more productive to try to attract people from elsewhere. That fosters an exchange of new ideas anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania