Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 AM

34 posts, read 41,012 times

Advertisements

I spent a day last week in NEPA, looking at several houses as a potential 2nd home/future retirement purchase. One house that had alot of potential was located in Pleasant Mount, PA 18453. The house is on a public but unpaved road off of Creamton Dr./rt. 247. The immediate area was relatively flat. I have a few questions regarding the area:

School District: The listing indicates the house is in the Forest City Regional School District. How is this one rated?

Internet access / TV: What options are there for internet access and TV?

Shopping: What is the shopping situation nearby for essentials such as gas & groceries?

Crime: Is there much of a crime issue in the area?

Weather: Does the area get hit especially hard with cold/snow during the winter months?

Kid-friendly Attractions: Are there any nearby attractions or activities nearby which would be appropriate for young children?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
Wow, that's way north. I'm sorry, I can't offer anything firsthand, though I would hazard an educated guess that it gets hit quite hard with snow and cold.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:18 PM

206 posts, read 473,336 times
We moved right near there on Bethany Pike when I retired, beautiful country but we lasted 3 yrs and then had enough of the long winters. I worked outdoors in the construction trade my entire life, living up there can be wonderful but a challenge. Live on a dirt road? You can figure on getting plowed out last. 4 wheel drive vehicle recommended for getting to civilization in winter, we never had a problem getting around once the roads were cleared. Can get tricky going down the mountain when it ices up.

Pleasant Mount is high in elevation. Is always cold and windy. Winter starts Nov 15 and lasts until around April 1. It can snow every single day, and the wind will blow back what you just got done shoveling. You should plan for an alternate heat source in case of power outage.

Kids would probably go to Forest City, maybe a 10 mile run on the bus.

shopping? there is none unless you hit one of the few mom and pop stores or drive to Honesdale where the biggest store is Walmart and Home Depot. Want to go to Sears or Penny's, etc........figure on driving to Dickson City, PA or Middletown, NY. There are no stores worth mentioning in Forest City or Carbondale, which are dying old towns.

Internet access? We used Blue Ridge, they were fine with me. There are others to choose from. We used satellite Direct TV for the tube , I liked it but you have to shovel the snow off the dish in the winter to keep your signal. here is a link to services

Cable Television Systems in 18453 ZIP Code (Pleasant Mount, PA) | ZipsLocal.com

Crime...... typical pill billies/dopers/meth heads stealing stuff, just like everywhere else. The days of leaving your doors unlocked are long gone. Keep your stuff locked up and you won't have a problem, always felt safe there.

attractions for kids? the Wayne County Fair is all I can think of, or rafting on the Delaware. It is a great place for a kid to grow up but there isn't very much to do there, thats why all the young folks leave.

It's a real peaceful place, summers are great except for the tourists. I kind of miss living there but I know i could never go back permanently. Good luck

Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 PM

343 posts, read 603,864 times
Hello there! I would like to add a little more information about the area.

Yes, the school district is Forest City Regional. It is a small district in comparison to other nearby school districts, like Wayne Highlands, which includes Honesdale High School. It is a 10 minute drive from the Creamton area, although the bus ride will be longer.

Internet Access - NEP Telephone Company in Forest City provides phone and internet service. They also have what is called Data Vision, a form of Cable TV. I don't know if Adams Cable in Carbondale have lines out there, but you can check. Otherwise, you can get the satellite providers.

Basics such as gas, you can get at Turkey Hill Minit Market in Forest City or Zazzera's Market, also in Forest City has groceries. They have a very good select of meat and deli and do have everything else you will need but it is a bit higher priced because of its location. You can travel another 10 minutes to Carbondale to Weis Markets. More selection but unless there is a sale, higher priced too. I am from the area and go once a week to Dickson City to Walmart, Aldi and Wegmans for my shopping. I know some people are used to convenience but it isn't that big of a deal to shop there once a week. Otherwise, at least there is Zazzeras in case you need it. You can also go in the opposite direction to Honesdale, where they have a Walmart and Weis too. There is another grocery store called Dave's Super Duper. Haven't heard anything that great about it.

Crime - Virtually none. Wouldn't recommend leaving your doors unlocked but there isn't a big drug problem in the area as in other nearby towns. You are in the country where it is basically peaceful.

Winter can definitely be brutal. This winter was no exception. It is something you get used to. I hate winter but you suck it up or leave.

Attractions for kids? There all types of activities with the school. There is also the YMCA in Carbondale, Karate in Carbondale. Again, you are in the country. Your kids will have a great time being outside any time of the year. This truly is a great place to grow up as a kid.

I am the first to agree the small towns are dying. The only time the towns were really booming was the 1950's and 1960's, too early for me to remember but I heard the stories from my mother. When I grew up, you drove 45 minutes to the mall, 30 to Sugarmans in Eynon or 20-25 minutes to Carbondale to Acme Markets. You didn't know anything else. There was plenty to do. Oh, yes, there are a lot of local lakes in the summer for swimming, fishing, boating, etc. You have Keen Lake, a short drive from Creamton. It is definitely a beautiful area to grow up as a kid. Good luck to you in your decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteman1970 View Post
I spent a day last week in NEPA, looking at several houses as a potential 2nd home/future retirement purchase. One house that had alot of potential was located in Pleasant Mount, PA 18453. The house is on a public but unpaved road off of Creamton Dr./rt. 247. The immediate area was relatively flat. I have a few questions regarding the area:

School District: The listing indicates the house is in the Forest City Regional School District. How is this one rated?

Internet access / TV: What options are there for internet access and TV?

Shopping: What is the shopping situation nearby for essentials such as gas & groceries?

Crime: Is there much of a crime issue in the area?

Weather: Does the area get hit especially hard with cold/snow during the winter months?

Kid-friendly Attractions: Are there any nearby attractions or activities nearby which would be appropriate for young children?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jackie2008; 04-22-2014 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Additional Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania