Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:46 PM

151 posts, read 183,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
As you know, the Poconos have grown by leaps and bounds with many new yorkers and NJ'ers moving to the area. Monroe County specifically. If this continues, can you see Monroe County becoming a major metro area, with businesses moving in as well? Or will it always remain what it is now?
Since, at least, the time when this old man was young it's been an investment axiom that: WHEN GAS PRICES ARE LOW POCONO REAL ESTATE VALUES GROW; AND, WHEN GAS PRICES ARE HIGH POCONO REAL ESTATE DIES.

What's the biggest and most successful business in Monroe County? Well outside of collecting school taxes, hands down, it's got 'a be the interstate toll bridge across the Delaware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 04:48 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Gas is the lowest in years and prices are still dead.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,348 times
The biggest problem with small businesses in the Poconos is that the owners and management don't really have any business or customer service experience, and there is a very short supply of qualified job candidates in the region.

Even the men and women who work in hospitality have either no experience or they just half ass it at their jobs.

The only people in this area making a decent living wage are those that work in the city, and the majority are union construction workers.

Most of the big box retailers and restaurants hire people with minimal to no job skills whatsoever.

This is a depressed drug addicted region. It isn't going anywhere in terms of becoming a major metropolitan region.

Fifteen years from now Stroudsburg will be about as metropolitan as Easton and Bethlehem are today, but with more traffic and more population density.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 AM

151 posts, read 183,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Gas is the lowest in years and prices are still dead.
You actually believe that! Obviously, you haven't the slightest idea how America's petrochemical-based economy really works. Know what?

Suddenly I'm very glad you're not managing one of my trust funds.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
gas has been coming down decreasing energy costs. we are where we stood 4 years ago and yes home prices in the poconos are still dead. the home we just sold i 2 years ago was l where it stood 7 years ago. less when you figure closing costs. the last year or so have seen prices come up about 5% or so.

that is 5% in 7 years. that is still a negative real return.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-16-2014 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: removed copyrighted graphic. Please post links instead of graphic.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 PM

108 posts, read 254,953 times
The Poconos just need some skyscrapers and a subway system. Then the New Yorkers will flock to the area. But seriously, more flooding within New York City might drive people west.

I live in Central Pennsylvania. The Marcellus Shale fracking industry has caused a large number of new companies to set up shop in our industrial park. I recently drove by an abandoned Nichols department store which has stood empty for decades. It is being converted into some sort of Marcellus Shale Center and has dozens of trucks parked in its parking lot. Soon my city will be the Dubai of Pennsylvania and maybe we will get a skyscraper to provide more office space.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
It isn't Wall Street West but Kahr Arms look to be a good addition and have a growth plan.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Talk about ruining a beautiful place!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is just hard for even small buiness to survive. business in nepa open and close like i change socks.
Yes they sure do!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:14 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What new infrastructure on 611? PennDOT recently rebuilt two bridges over the Pocono Creek to the same specifications as they were built 50 years ago. Those bridges are not wide enough to accommodate widening 611. So, planned or unplanned, they are an effective bottleneck to future expansion. Realistically Route 611 should be four+ lanes all the way from Stroudsburg to Mt. Pocono. Rebuilding old bridges to yesterday's specifications only increases the cost of doing it right in the future.

I live in Swiftwater. If I go shopping; I don't go South if I can help it. I get stuck in traffic and waste time going South; especially from Tannersville on (because of the traffic off I-80 during construction and accidents). My feeling is that most people will not willingly drive into traffic jams. You waste your time, you learn, and you avoid the area (if possible).

Right now we have businessmen that are afraid of true change. They are the ones that influence our politicians. They did that when I-80 was built and they still do the same thing today. Until we can get our politicians on our side; we stand no chance for true progress.
BRAVO! Well said my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania