Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:26 PM

276 posts, read 678,535 times

Advertisements

For those who continue to have an interest in looking at oil prices, perhaps the best sign of whether they will go down further will be to look at the unemployment rate. If that continues to go up, expect oil prices to decline further. It's quite possible, if the economy tanks enough, we might have lower prices in the summer then we do now. At this point that is certainly a possibility. As you can see, the stock market isn't doing so great, and oil is down from above $100 to barely $90. For this to continue there would need to really be a negative decline in employment, so we'll see.

Please keep in mind, I'm certainly not rooting for this to happen, but unfortunately I'm of the belief that a recession is a neccessary market force that is needed to drive down the price of energy, bring housing to a more affordable level, and stop very irresponsible spending, and assumption of too much debt by today's American people, a group used to immediate and instant gratification. While this cycle will be painful, should be be managed well and this nation make many of the right decisions and draw the right conclusions, it will be good for this nation.

Let's see what happens. Currently things are certainly moving in the direction I've felt they well, though at a faster pace then I could have expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
memoriesbre wrote:
I filled up the truck only half full yesterday and it was $3.18 a gallon. I am so sick of this. Something needs to be done somehow. How can we afford this? We need to revolt!
I agree. $3.19/gal is expensive. The most powerful revolution is to find ways of consuming less and living a simpler life. Make up your mind to consume less. Drop out of the consumer game, though it's tough to do in regard to heating oil.

blessings....franco
By the way, I'm essentially saying the same thing NewAgeRedneck is, just simply arguing that market forces will force consumers to do what NewAgeRedneck wants to happen. In some respects, this is quite comforting. Let's just hope Americans don't try to allow the government to increase its roll in the economy further to compensate for a recession. Market forces will do more to better the lives of Americans in the long run, and save them from irresponsible actions then could the government ever do.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Here is an update on oil prices for those interested. So far for the year oil is down over $10:

Oil sheds $1.63 a barrel - Jan. 21, 2008 (broken link)

With the summer coming, don't expect this simply to continue, but expect after the summer this pricing for gas will not come back for quite awhile.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,069 times
Thumbs down yea ok

Keep crying....ran 4 ac units with that much fuel or power...ummm Im a licenced electrician in upstate ny....news kiddo..doenst cost that must..try again

Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
Here is an update on oil prices for those interested. So far for the year oil is down over $10:

Oil sheds $1.63 a barrel - Jan. 21, 2008 (broken link)

With the summer coming, don't expect this simply to continue, but expect after the summer this pricing for gas will not come back for quite awhile.
problem is the new lows will probley still be in the 100 dollar range, better than 150 but even that will be short lived. once the hint of recovery starts to show voooooom again back to 150-200
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania