Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,214 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to wonder if ADHD is a fraud perpetuated by the psychiatry and pharmaceutical industries. Something really scares me about doping kids up on all sorts of psychotropic medications... A kid just can't be hyperactive these days without being diagnosed with some "disorder." All people are different. And it seems that in some (note the word SOME, I'm not pointing a finger at all parents) cases, the ADHD kids could just come from less-than-fortunate backgrounds with broken homes and/or poor parenting. The newest disorder to hit the market is really a ridiculous one...ODD or "Oppositional Defiant Disorder." Now they have an actual DIAGNOSIS for a kid who doesn't listen to his parents and other authority figures. So let's not help them counsel them, and teach them....let's just turn them into zombies with the latest psychotropic medications....

This looks like interesting reading:
The ADHD Fraud: How Psychiatry Makes ... - Google Book Search

Last edited by FightinPhils; 04-10-2008 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 27,168 times
Your best bet would be to go to your Special Education Coordinator at your local school and they can help you to find the services to help your child at school.That's what we did and our daughter got a good education that was rapped around what she needed and not what the 300 other students in her school needed.Or you could talk to the school Guidance counselor she or he should be able to help you also.Good luck with your child I just know that you will be all right and so will they.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:05 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,214 times
Sorry if I came off a little insulting with my post, but I just get infuriated with the trend these days of putting kids on psychotropic meds. The long-term effects of these drugs on developing children is unknown, and dangerous, in my opinion. I realize that some kids have legitimate problems, but I have to think there are other ways to do this rather than doping them up on meds to turn them into zombies. I have to think that this is a ploy between the drug companies and the psychiatry industry to make $$$.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,228 times
I personally wasn't insulted at all. My computer went kaput for some strange reason.

12years ago I felt the same as you. Over dx's were started an up swing...sadly when my third child was born, at the age of 2.5 I knew something was just not "normal". My eldest children ( keep in mind all three were fathered by the same man) were well into their teen years and my mommy senses felt something was different about lil' man.! It started with his speech which we weren't worried about since his sister had a brief stuttering problem at the age of 4. We wanted speech intervention and at that evaluation his o/t needs were also dxed. Fast forward to the end of kindergarten and his progress was know where near the other children.

We had him enrolled in pre-school and it still took 9 months to learn his ABC's; the entire family worked with him, it was hard to watch him struggle.

It was at that time I knewthere was something else going on. Actually his big brother first mention ADD/ADHD and off course I was in denial and scolded him for the suggestion. Sure enough after multiple opinions and evaluations ( I had my own bias to the dx) it was confirmed by 3doctors all independent of one another.

I still balked at putting him on meds and for the first 1/2 of first grade did not. Finally thinking, if it was any other dx would I feel the same...so hubby and I started the medication. It was night and day in his school performance. My family is now thrilled for him and his abiltiy to relate stories and his strong imagination come shining through!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:37 PM

14 posts, read 48,243 times
Check Out Ruby Salazar in Clarks-Summit, She was awesome with my son.
Also, as a former president of CHADD I recommend you use the Parenting with Love and Logic Program (loveandlogic.com) I had awesome success, so much so I went to Denver and became a Love and Logic Trainer.
Contact me if you need any additional resources.

Michelle

Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM

7 posts, read 18,657 times
Default Hope this helps

You need an advocate for your child in Lackawanna County. If you are not in this county then ask them where you could go or what you have to do in your county. Contact the hospitals for self help groups. Ask other parents what activities do they do with their children. Animal therapy is a good therapy for them too. What is the childs likes and dislikes. Start there. Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 18,657 times
Default Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Sorry if I came off a little insulting with my post, but I just get infuriated with the trend these days of putting kids on psychotropic meds. The long-term effects of these drugs on developing children is unknown, and dangerous, in my opinion. I realize that some kids have legitimate problems, but I have to think there are other ways to do this rather than doping them up on meds to turn them into zombies. I have to think that this is a ploy between the drug companies and the psychiatry industry to make $$$.
Your frustration is warranted in my opinion. If you can't vent to people who understand then you aren't going to be help to anyone.
Yes I think the Dr.'s need to educate the parents of what to look for but I think they are also so busy with clients and getting more every day that it might be difficult for parents to find people/Dr.s/programs that can help quick enough. These children are important to our society and smart!! Yes they may need med's but don't give them a med to counteract the other med's sideaffects just because the kids can't explain how they are feeling to us.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 PM

I believe I am my childs best advocate. Finding resources from people who know the area is what I needed and the folks on this site have ALWAYS ()pointed me in the correct direction. This has been my expierence with the kind people on this site not only regarding my child but other things as well.

I am a sahm for a reason,my son and huaband are now my full time job. I was not able to do this for our eldest children but now all my "other life" enegry is focused on what I truly wanted to be when I grew up... a Mommy. I have been blessed that, my life expierence and education have given me more than enough skills to understand and support all of my childs needs...as long as I know where to go!

Thank you for your input everyone...you are NEPA's best!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,843 times
Unhappy never ending

Was told about this sight and reading your message did give me hope.

My son is 11 and has ADD and some days it fine but others its just one thing after another. Not coping in school my son is very impulsive which can be hard forothers to deal with but for me he is just the most loving child. a proper mummys boy and as he is getting older i feel that i dont have as much control as i didor protect him as much as i want to.

I feel like im the only one who truely understands him...

Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM

I am so sorry for your struggles. When I take my son to his ot I get to talk with other mothers. When I see some of the children...my heart just breaks. While little man has his issues...compared to others it is like nothing.

You may very well be the only one that understands your son, and thank God for him he has you. My son had great success with behavioral intervention at the Aaron Center in Dickison City. You may want to take him and see if he can benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania