Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,648 times

Advertisements

My husband will be at the Tobyhanna Depot for the next several months. We're thinking about making it a permanent move, provided I can find employment. The cost of living looks to be a little less than where we currently live. I have a few questions:

1. My husband is looking for a apartment/house within 20-30 minutes of Tobyhanna. Where are some of the best and safest places to rent in this area? I've been on Craigslist and this message board, but I'm a little overwhelmed - especially with all of the gang stuff. We have gang activity in SC, but to my knowledge they aren't affiliated with large gangs in metropolitan areas.

2. After I find a job, we would be looking for an area to buy a home. We're relatively young (27) with no kids and a dog. Where are some good places to buy?

3. Are "outsiders" typically embraced in the job market or am I facing an uphill battle? I work in Human Resources.

Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingfaces2223 View Post
My husband will be at the Tobyhanna Depot for the next several months. We're thinking about making it a permanent move, provided I can find employment. The cost of living looks to be a little less than where we currently live. I have a few questions:

1. My husband is looking for a apartment/house within 20-30 minutes of Tobyhanna. Where are some of the best and safest places to rent in this area? I've been on Craigslist and this message board, but I'm a little overwhelmed - especially with all of the gang stuff. We have gang activity in SC, but to my knowledge they aren't affiliated with large gangs in metropolitan areas.

2. After I find a job, we would be looking for an area to buy a home. We're relatively young (27) with no kids and a dog. Where are some good places to buy?

3. Are "outsiders" typically embraced in the job market or am I facing an uphill battle? I work in Human Resources.

Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!
Seach this board for Tobyhanna Army Depot, and you'll find lots of info about places to live near the depot. The only place it would be best to steer clear of is the Mount Pocono area, especially Pocono Country Place, as it has been in the news alot lately with gangs and other crime. I worked at the depot before having my kids, and people from all over Northeast PA work there, whether they live nearby or commute by bus for two hours. If you are looking for a rural area, you could try Gouldsboro, Moscow, Daleville, Mt. Cobb, Newfoundland, Greentown, or Hamlin. These areas are no more than 30minutes drive to the depot and most have options for shopping, doctors, etc. nearby. If you don't mind a bit longer of a drive, Scranton, Wilkes Barre, or Stroudsburg are the larger cities in the area. There are usually carpools and buses that your husband would be able to join once he starts work and meets people.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Greentown summarized my sentiments exactly. The two most reputable school districts in that immediate area you'll want to investigate include North Pocono, in the Moscow/Mt. Cobb area, and Wallenpaupack Area, which is in the Greentown area.

Tobyhanna proper is in the Pocono Mountain-West School District, which I haven't heard many good things about. On the contrary my ex-boyfriend lives in Pocono Farms-East and attended Pocono Mountain-West High School and said there were some gang members there from PCP (A Pocono Country Place).

I think considering you are both relatively young and childless (hence probably wanting to have a "night out on the town" every now and then), North Pocono has the edge over Wallenpaupack Area because it is closer to Scranton for nightlife, shopping, dining, etc.---a straight 15-20-minute shot up I-380 into the city and its immediate suburbs of Dickson City and Moosic (home of all the malls, big-box stores, chain restaurants, etc.) or a straight 15-minute shot down I-380 to Tobyhanna.

Overall there aren't many rentals in the North Pocono area, as it remains rather rural---single-family detached homes are most common here, a growing proportion of which are in subdivisions. I have seen one ad on CraigsList though advertising an upscale home for rent in the Harmony Hills subdivision in Moscow proper. Your best bet would probably be to go onto both the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Poconos CraigsLists, create an account, go under "housing wanted", and then post an ad detailing your situation so that prospective landlords can contact you with their listings.

I wouldn't know about the "discrimination" factor in regards to your employment. I know some natives resent transplants from NY or NJ for turning the Poconos into a suburb of New York City, but someone from SC would probably be looked at with some sort of inquisitive and friendly curiosity. I myself occasionally hear a Southern accent at work and crane my head around like a puppy hearing a squeak toy because I'm intrigued by it.

In any event, best of luck to you (y'all?), and welcome in advance to Pennsylvania!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania