Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 PM

755 posts, read 2,334,331 times

Advertisements

I just recently read that they are in grave danger of closing up due to lack of donations. I was so sadded by this. They helped me out a few months ago after having just moved here. I HAD to get my male cat fixed b/c he was marking EVERYTHING he could find that wasn't nailed down and keeping up with cleaning after him was making me absolutley bonkers. They had a vet that went there to spay/neuter on a, I guess, periodic basis. I gave them their required donation for their services (for lack of better wording) and whalaa, one fixed no longer marking male cat was returned to me.

Any way, point being...please make a donation any way you can...food, money, bedding, anything. I just feel bad for them. There are really nice people who run the place and work or volunteer there. I know my sister in NJ was asking if they need food so I'm sure next time I see her, I'll be getting food to pass on for the homeless animals.

Thanks!!!

PS- I hope this is ok to post here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
FF,
A good cause most certainly. They have been struggling for some time now. I hope the community rises to the occassion for these lovely dogs and cats. I have to stay away from these shelters....because I am a collector. It would be nice to see a benefit held for the shelter like they do for other causes in the area. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The Hat

Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,463,493 times
I'll be contributing some food this week.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 PM

There is ONE cat there that I would love to have...she is a tortie maine coon and she is beautiful...hmm...wonder if hubby wants to adopt a cat for me for V-day???? Is she a princess or what??

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/PA90/PA90.9502574-1-pn.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM

50 posts, read 186,959 times
I was at the Greentown Agway a few weeks ago and the Pike County Shelter had pets for adoption. I think they may be back there this weekend, but not really sure. The pets are friendly and we fell in love with one dog, BUT, it is not really an adoption, they wanted $150 dollars. It was ashame to learn the pets were that costly. If it had been $50-$75 it would have been sitting here beside me. I was not the only one who had to turn away, many did the same and disappointed the kids that were with them. I hope they are back at the Agway and have come to reason with their adoption "fee". They may be over run with cats and dogs because of the high fee, a lower fee may just give them less pets to feed and care for, I do wish I could have afforded that dog.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocono livin for me View Post
I was at the Greentown Agway a few weeks ago and the Pike County Shelter had pets for adoption. I think they may be back there this weekend, but not really sure. The pets are friendly and we fell in love with one dog, BUT, it is not really an adoption, they wanted $150 dollars. It was ashame to learn the pets were that costly. If it had been $50-$75 it would have been sitting here beside me. I was not the only one who had to turn away, many did the same and disappointed the kids that were with them. I hope they are back at the Agway and have come to reason with their adoption "fee". They may be over run with cats and dogs because of the high fee, a lower fee may just give them less pets to feed and care for, I do wish I could have afforded that dog.
Not trying to be confrontational, but the bottom line is: If you can't afford $150.00 for a dog, you can't afford a dog. Most adoption agencies ask for 200-250. Afterall, they have their costs and are not making a penny. I paid $300.00 for my wonderful mix, as his adoption fee. He was vaccinated, bathed, neutered and microchipped for that fee. Drop in the bucket. Two years later (which was 2 months ago) I paid 2 thousand for his knee surgery and rehab.

Dogs are expensive; they have needs and occasional emergencies, and we, as their owners, need to be finacially prepared for them. Why not ask if the pooch you had in mind was microchipped and neutered?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM

50 posts, read 186,959 times
Sorry there soulsurv, I should have told you that the gentleman that was with the dogs stated they would be put down. I don't know if it was true or just pushing the sale of the pets. I too have adopted several other pets and have had them to the vet and paid for their regular check ups. These pets were also vaccinated, bathed and neutered and microchipped as well but from another shelter in the area. The adoption fee was half of the Pike Shelter fee and they are great and loyal pets for being strays. All have a good home and well taken care of, All I meant was if they lowered their fee with the bad fiscal shape the shelter is in right now and may be closing within the month, many of those pets would now be in good loving homes. I believe it is better to get these pets into homes ASAP since this Shelter may not be able to feed these pets soon. I wish you luck with your pet as I see you are willing to go the extra mile for its health as I am with my pets.Just a misunderstanding no hard feelings. I assume you did not know the situation with this Shelter and that they may be closed by this time next month. Those pets need a home no matter what the donation they receive at this point.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Not making excuses but I have a feeling the high adoption fee may be b/c they really need the funds to keep the organization going. I'm suprised that they want that much.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Sorry there soulsurv, I should have told you that the gentleman that was with the dogs stated they would be put down. I don't know if it was true or just pushing the sale of the pets. I too have adopted several other pets and have had them to the vet and paid for their regular check ups. These pets were also vaccinated, bathed and neutered and microchipped as well but from another shelter in the area. The adoption fee was half of the Pike Shelter fee and they are great and loyal pets for being strays. All have a good home and well taken care of, All I meant was if they lowered their fee with the bad fiscal shape the shelter is in right now and may be closing within the month, many of those pets would now be in good loving homes. I believe it is better to get these pets into homes ASAP since this Shelter may not be able to feed these pets soon. I wish you luck with your pet as I see you are willing to go the extra mile for its health as I am with my pets.Just a misunderstanding no hard feelings. I assume you did not know the situation with this Shelter and that they may be closed by this time next month. Those pets need a home no matter what the donation they receive at this point.
Good points....maybe if they lowered their fee, they'd adopt out more animals. Wonder what they want to adopt a cat???

Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
FF, that is a great Valentine's Day present. I have 2 of them, they are like an old married couple. I wanted to adopt Mr. Peabody recently, but hubby doesn't like cats as much as I do. We have a dog too and it is great that they all get along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania