Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

The modem/router suggestion and the phone will save you about $50 a month after 3 or 4 months with no difference in service. Unless there is particular sports program or some obscure channel the significant other watches you can take care of that with sling or whatever

I'd also point out to the significant other the nice trip you can take with the money you save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 11:23 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The modem/router suggestion and the phone will save you about $50 a month after 3 or 4 months with no difference in service. Unless there is particular sports program or some obscure channel the significant other watches you can take care of that with sling or whatever

I'd also point out to the significant other the nice trip you can take with the money you save.
But are 'significant others' always rational? Sometimes it is hard, even though they can save money; to separate them from their favorites. However; that does not mean that I cannot work for a rational approach to our existing systems. Thank you again for your advice.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:17 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Question Antenna? Cheap Internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why be loyal, dump them.... They stick it to you because they know you will keep paying for it.
  • Buy your own modem and router, this is usually $5 to $15 a month.
  • Switch the phone to Ooma or other service. Ooma is $99 to buy the box once and $5 a month afterward which all taxes..... You get all the features you would expect from most services, unlimited calling, caller ID, blah, blah,blah
  • Dump the cable TV, how man channels do you actually watch? Local channels may be the only issue here if you have poor reception, if you have good reception it's higher quality than the cable anyway.
  • If you can't get the the local channels with an antenna check to see if you cable company offers really low tier plan, Comcast has internet/TV package with local channels, HBO and a few other minor cable channels for like $80 month.
  • Look st Sling or other services for the major cable channels you won't be paying the cable company for.
  • Last but not least Sports can be an issue because the cable companies bundle local sports like the Phillies with higher tier plans. MLB has their own service, you can watch any game you want except the local ones. Local ones are time delayed for 90 minutes until the game ends. One side benefit is you can watch any of them including past seasons any time you want.
Thanks Coalman! I currently live in NJ but I intend to move to the Poconos later this year. One of my concerns is the costs of 'communication utilities'.

I dumped the cable a year ago and I watch very little 'broadcast TV', for which I now use an old-fashioned roof-mounted antenna! (It's amazing how much better and far-reaching the digital signals are compared to the old analog!)
How effective would a roof-mounted antenna be in Pocono Summit?

Also, I already use 'TV over Internet' services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.). More so, regarding telephone, as I understand it, Ooma is Voice over Internet Protocol. Hence my issue becomes this:
What is the cheapest way in NEPA to get the needed high speed Internet access?

I'd appreciate advice and opinions.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:29 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Hence my issue becomes this:

There is no "cheapest way"....if your looking to just get Internet access alone it's going to cost you because discounts are only offered on package deals....check out Blue Ridges' website for the details....if you get all the services from them (cable, phone, Internet) you will save against getting Internet access alone.....that's with any company anywhere in the US....

Bundles | Blue Ridge

Old 04-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
There is no "cheapest way"....if your looking to just get Internet access alone it's going to cost you because discounts are only offered on package deals....check out Blue Ridges' website for the details....if you get all the services from them (cable, phone, Internet) you will save against getting Internet access alone.....that's with any company anywhere in the US....

Bundles | Blue Ridge

What I hate about many of their 'deals' is that they favor the first time buyer and turn their backs on long time users. You would think there would be better rewards for loyalty.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What I hate about many of their 'deals' is that they favor the first time buyer and turn their backs on long time users. You would think there would be better rewards for loyalty.
Remember....first time buyers eventually become long time users as well...so the honeymoon only lasts for so long....they (and other cable companies) do that because they know you have no other choice due to your location....in our case it's because we're out here in the boonies and they have a monopoly on the area....but if Verizon or any other major player were to come out here the game field changes for them....

Old 04-09-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Remember....first time buyers eventually become long time users as well...so the honeymoon only lasts for so long....they (and other cable companies) do that because they know you have no other choice due to your location....in our case it's because we're out here in the boonies and they have a monopoly on the area....but if Verizon or any other major player were to come out here the game field changes for them....
Wasn't AT&T supposed to offer additional services? Verizon and us are like N. Korea and the US - we are not negotiating! When we bought additional equipment from Verizon and they shipped it to the wrong address and then started billing us; that was the last straw - never again! Their customer service department is the worst!

Old 04-09-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Wasn't AT&T supposed to offer additional services? Verizon and us are like N. Korea and the US - we are not negotiating! When we bought additional equipment from Verizon and they shipped it to the wrong address and then started billing us; that was the last straw - never again! Their customer service department is the worst!
AT&T bought DirecTV from Mark Cuban so now they offer deals on different packages....obviously not designed to save you any money....as for Verizon well like I said they all offer discounts on package deals and what not but once that honeymoon is over they grin and tell you "Suck it up, honey!! Your ours now!!".....and yes I'll agree with you their customer service is the horrendous.....I've had a cellphone with them since '93 way before anyone knew what a cellphone was....back when they were known as Bell Atlantic Mobile.....that's when they were good....you could go to any of their stores and they took care of you....now forget it....you threaten to leave them and they tell you go ahead, bye, and good luck....they don't care because for everyone person that leaves another 50 sign up so you leaving hurts them in no way.....out here in the boonies the carriers practice what is called "red lining" which means that any place outside of a "red line" they draw on a map they don't invest infrastructure in because they won't get ROI on it....think I'm making this up?? Check out these links:

Why Is DirecTV Redlining Rural America? | TV Freedom

Look Back, But Move Forward

Telecommunications Redlining: Modernization Shouldn

https://communicationleadership.usc....gital-ghettos/

they vehemently deny doing this but everyone knows (especially in DC) that this is going on....but who's going to fight them about it?? The politicians all get kickbacks from them to keep quiet about it.....

This article explains how it all began:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

Old 04-09-2017, 06:00 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Thanks Coalman! I currently live in NJ but I intend to move to the Poconos later this year. One of my concerns is the costs of 'communication utilities'.

I dumped the cable a year ago and I watch very little 'broadcast TV', for which I now use an old-fashioned roof-mounted antenna! (It's amazing how much better and far-reaching the digital signals are compared to the old analog!)
How effective would a roof-mounted antenna be in Pocono Summit?

Also, I already use 'TV over Internet' services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.). More so, regarding telephone, as I understand it, Ooma is Voice over Internet Protocol. Hence my issue becomes this:

NEPA isn't a city. In ruraly areas you may have only one choice for Internet ...maybe NONE. The same goes for OTA TV signals.

Be sure to check this specific to the property you are considering. Trees and hills matter...and there isn't a lot of competition for customers in low density areas. "Developments" and gated communities may be a bit better...should be easy to check them. Don't just ask realtors/agents, ask prospective neighbors ... actually do this anywhere you are considering buying...when you know where that is BY property.

(Disclaimer...I know zero about Pocono Summit...I infer this may qualify as a development/town and you may get good answers from some folks there? My comment is more general...)

Old 04-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
AT&T bought DirecTV from Mark Cuban so now they offer deals on different packages....obviously not designed to save you any money....as for Verizon well like I said they all offer discounts on package deals and what not but once that honeymoon is over they grin and tell you "Suck it up, honey!! Your ours now!!".....and yes I'll agree with you their customer service is the horrendous.....I've had a cellphone with them since '93 way before anyone knew what a cellphone was....back when they were known as Bell Atlantic Mobile.....that's when they were good....you could go to any of their stores and they took care of you....now forget it....you threaten to leave them and they tell you go ahead, bye, and good luck....they don't care because for everyone person that leaves another 50 sign up so you leaving hurts them in no way.....out here in the boonies the carriers practice what is called "red lining" which means that any place outside of a "red line" they draw on a map they don't invest infrastructure in because they won't get ROI on it....think I'm making this up?? Check out these links:

Why Is DirecTV Redlining Rural America? | TV Freedom

Look Back, But Move Forward

Telecommunications Redlining: Modernization Shouldn

https://communicationleadership.usc....gital-ghettos/

they vehemently deny doing this but everyone knows (especially in DC) that this is going on....but who's going to fight them about it?? The politicians all get kickbacks from them to keep quiet about it.....

This article explains how it all began:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining
Thanks for all the links!

What I do think will hurt all TV providers, both cable and satellite, is the product they provide. Movies and TV programs simply are not the quality that we once had. For me; I would be happy if I never saw another program. I also hate repeats or redundant material (sequels) and remakes. They really do not have a lot to offer if you eliminate those and you don't watch sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania