Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 38,773 times

Advertisements

I have two kids 9 and 12 just moved to pocono area and wanted to know if anyone knows fun places to go to in the summer????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjj123 View Post
I have two kids 9 and 12 just moved to pocono area and wanted to know if anyone knows fun places to go to in the summer????
As far as commericial type places (read: expensive vs. a visit to a park) the best two we've ever gone to at that age is Knoebels and Camel Beach.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM

176 posts, read 650,999 times
Default Fun places

There are several fun parks in the area with go-carts, mini-golf, batting cages, etc. Lahey's in Scranton, Moss Hollow in Hamlin and Costa's over near Wallenpaupack come to mind (there are others...the Poconos covers a large area).
You'll find a number of lakes where you can rent a boat (Wallenpaupack for speedboats and water skiing, others for rowboating), many streams and lakes where you can fish, and state parks with hiking trails, beaches and lakes for swimming (Ricketts Glenn, Promised Land, Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro). Many parks have hiking trails and waterfalls, including privately owned Bushkill Falls. There are a lot of centers for horseback riding, and some places to go whitewater rafting. You'll find plenty of campgrounds as well as camping in state parks.
On a rainy day the kids might enjoy a visit to Callie's Candy shop and his pretzel factory which are about a mile apart from one another. You can watch a funny demonstration on making chocolate or watch pretzels being made. The candy and pretzels are both delicious btw.
Claws and Paws zoo near Hamlin is cute and offers animal shows and a petting zoo besides seeing animals. The Yankees AAA team plays at Montage near Scranton, and there are outdoor concerts at an ampitheater there as well.
The area has a number of festivals, such as a Mayfest one in Jim THorpe (the festival may go by another name now) and county fairs are held throughout the summer.
The above is just some that come to mind; you're best bet is to find some good websites and scan the local papers to keep abreast of what's happening in the area.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
The festivals and Fairs are great for that age. They are going on in plenty of the Pa towns.
Boating on Wallenpaupak or Beltzville Lake.......the State Parks are just fantastic.
Boulder Field at the Hickory Run State Park they should enjoy. Plus there is swimming there.
They might like to see the Velodrome in the Allentown area a biking racetrack.
They have some specials at the baseball field up in the Scranton area that includes a little lunch with admission, it is usually advertised.
The Steamtown Train location is great.......some of the trains do have scheduled trips.
There is a coal mine ride also that is up by Scranton.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
There are some great ideas on here. . . . Another couple that we planned for last summer but didn't get around to -- have high expectations for this summer! 1. Rafting down the Lehigh River; 2. Bike ride along the Lehigh gorge. 3. Perhaps that scenic train ride from Jim Thorpe.

Couple more great ideas we have done: a trip down an old coal mine - that was fantastic! (I think we picked the one near Mount Carmel.) Then down the road a free trip to Centralia to see a virtually abandoned town sitting above an existing and inextinguishable fire. . . . and agree that Callies and Claws and Paws were worth the visit (especially Callies).

Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 38,773 times
WOW, I never knew there were so many places to go to, and see and explore. you guys have been helpful. I am going to check these places out and see if they have websites to learn more. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times
I love Knoebles, we had family reunions there every year when I was a kid. Great fun at great prices. You also have Dorney Park not too far from the Pocono's. My kids still enjoy The Crayola Factory in Easton, as well, and they are the same age as your children.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 AM

36 posts, read 228,242 times
http://daisyfieldfarm.com/

Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
I take the boys to Bushkill falls every summer. We also get a season pass for Camelbeach ; they love that. The movies, white water rafting (lots and lots of fun), I think there are atv trails also.

Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania