Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 52,985 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We've had our driveway plowed a few times over the winter and now find ourselves with piles and piles of tiny gray stones that used to coat our driveway. How do we get them back to where they came? Do we hire someone to bring his big plow and move them back down or is this something that you get used to doing by yourself every spring?

Thanks so much.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,057 times
Not from around here Michelle, lol ?? The anti skid is yours, you now own it. I suggest a sturdy push broom and a shovel. if you live in the city, you cann put it to the curb, but dont make the cans too heavy or they wont be picked up. Or you could use it for fill...

Old 03-23-2008, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 23,031 times
get a shovel and wheelbarrow..........it's a do it yourself project

Old 03-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks, both of you. Boy that was quick! I just bought a house in Pocono Pines, so this is my first experience with stone driveways. It's OK. I could use the exercise!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Yep, Summering uses a good rake and puts it back where it came from

Old 03-23-2008, 08:29 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Yep, Summering uses a good rake and puts it back where it came from
...after which Paul sneaks up behind Summering and hands her a glass of iced tea with lemon to cool off! When ya comin' back to NEPA?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 AM

703 posts, read 1,547,107 times
Not sure I understand completely.

Is your driveway gravel, or are you referring to the rock-salt debris left behind after professional snow-removal? If the latter, then you can request of whoever provides the snow-removal service not to use that in the future. If your driveway is gravel, then that's just part of the regular maintenance of your driveway. I personally prefer a paved driveway for aesthetic reasons and because it's easier to maintain (if more expensive).

Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,004 times
What do you want to get rid of it for? Get some 5 gallon picke buckets, and save it to use next year. Mix it in with a bag of halite, and you have your own anti-skid to use when you need it, instead of waiting on your local DPW to finally get around to you.

Or, you can sweep it all into the big gaping potholes in front of your house, as a temporary fix.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM

142 posts, read 537,287 times
The trick is to shovel or snowblow it back on the curb when the gravel sits on TOP of the snow before it melts so it doesn't get into your grass. A month ago I was doing just that and placing the snow mixed with stones next to the curb on top of the plowed snow when my retired neighbor said I could get "arrested" (lol) for putting the snow back on the street. (My neighbor has too much time on his hands IMO) He is an X-cop so I did not want to make "waves" as a new neighbor and went back inside to watch TV.

Anyway, now I have to use a stiff broom and wait until the grass dries so I do not rip up my lawn and broom it back onto the street.

Last year in the late Spring a street cleaner made about 10 passes and picked up the gravel.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Thanks, Everyone.

All good ideas. Commish, I was referring to the actual gray stones that in essence ARE my driveway (since it's not a paved driveway). I don't mind them being the foundation of the driveway, I just don't want to end up with a mountain of stones between the driveway and my front door.

I'm going to get myself a good rake, a stiff brush, a wheelbarrow, and some ibuprofen!

Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania