Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I know there are many low paying jobs in our area; but there is no reason to take one of those jobs if you can find something better. - Agreed....but there aren't any better jobs out here.....

You never really know until you ask. Just because a person takes a low paying job does not mean that they cannot continue to look - I always did regardless of the pay. - I might have to....
I made $75K/year here when I drove truck. I kept looking for more money. Before that I had jobs that I made about $40K to $45K per year and that was many years ago. Most of the jobs I held one did not need a college degree. The only reason I worked the one for $20/hr is it was very close to my house; which means I could keep more of what I made. I am also retired and that helps too.

If you call up Manpower and ask if they would consider you for a pharmaceutical job in Swiftwater in January; they could start you at $15 per hour (maybe more). Of course it is a hard job and you might hate it; but I will guarantee that it will pay more than $10/hr and I get a $500 finders fee for finding you! You would have nine days of training coming up this month before the January start date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Most of the jobs I held one did not need a college degree. - I have no degree....only high school....I survived in IT since '91 because I got in the field early just when the Internet was taking off....

If you call up Manpower and ask if they would consider you for a pharmaceutical job in Swiftwater in January - I know nothing about pharmaceutical. I have applied there because I have a friend who's been working there since 1997....but their IT department does not belong to them....it's outsourced....meaning its contract work and not guaranteed to last....but thanks for the info....

Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Most of the jobs I held one did not need a college degree. - I have no degree....only high school....I survived in IT since '91 because I got in the field early just when the Internet was taking off....

If you call up Manpower and ask if they would consider you for a pharmaceutical job in Swiftwater in January - I know nothing about pharmaceutical. I have applied there because I have a friend who's been working there since 1997....but their IT department does not belong to them....it's outsourced....meaning its contract work and not guaranteed to last....but thanks for the info....
In January they will be hiring. Whenever I start there I will see most of the workers going to the flu department; but not all. The last time there were IT, security and other jobs besides flu. The whole business gears us at that time of the year because they want to be the first to market. Doctors will order from more than one source and then cancel the others after the first company gets to market. Call Tannersville now and ask them what they have available. Make sure you ask how much the jobs pay. I have worked pretty full years for them the last eight years (not counting this year). I also made a pretty decent dollar for my time. I don't like temporary jobs; but that works for me (being close and not the only source of revenue).

The pharmaceutical business is all about the government regulations. As long as you follow the regulations you should not have any problems. They train almost everyday because the regulations change almost everyday. Because I have been out for a year I will have to be retrained again - it's all spelled out in the regulations.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 AM

Sears is now closing in the Stroud Mall: https://wnep.com/2018/11/08/sears-cl...monroe-county/. It will be interesting to see if the mall can find another tenant it has an unusual layout and location in that mall. Of course the closing was expected.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:42 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Sears is now closing in the Stroud Mall: https://wnep.com/2018/11/08/sears-cl...monroe-county/. It will be interesting to see if the mall can find another tenant it has an unusual layout and location in that mall. Of course the closing was expected.
I remember when Sears moved from downtown Stroudsburg to the Stroud Mall, sometime around 1995 or early 1996. Coming from suburban Essex County, NJ I was shocked to learn that the first escalator in Monroe County was installed in the mid-1990's! Sorry to see them close. I bought a number of tools there, and we even got some portraits of the kids done at their photo studio.

A Pocono Record article gets the date wrong, saying it opened in 1991 which is impossible because I didn't move here until 1993.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I remember when Sears moved from downtown Stroudsburg to the Stroud Mall, sometime around 1995 or early 1996. Coming from suburban Essex County, NJ I was shocked to learn that the first escalator in Monroe County was installed in the mid-1990's! Sorry to see them close. I bought a number of tools there, and we even got some portraits of the kids done at their photo studio.

A Pocono Record article gets the date wrong, saying it opened in 1991 which is impossible because I didn't move here until 1993.
I loved the thick Sears catalogs I had when I grew up. I also had a Herter's and JC Whitney and all were my 'dream' books. Of course Sears sold their Craftsman brand last year to Stanley Black and Decker: https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/inv...ker/index.html. So we can still buy the tools; just not at Sears any longer.

But they wasted their competitive advantage. They could have been the very first Amazon because it is not that difficult to switch from mail order catalog to on line sales. My feeling was they were over confident and lacked good leadership like many of our corporations today.

Our Pocono Record is a problem itself. Ever since it was bought out we basically have no local news. One to four local stories is not what you call 'reporting'. I am going to try to complain to my local representatives to get them to do the job or let somebody else come in and do it for them! Others should be complaining also; this is our community and we are left in the dark because of this race for one corporation to eat the next one! It's no wonder that the got the date wrong!

PS Did the Record say how many jobs were lost?

Old 11-09-2018, 12:44 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Our Pocono Record is a problem itself. Ever since it was bought out we basically have no local news. One to four local stories is not what you call 'reporting'. I am going to try to complain to my local representatives to get them to do the job or let somebody else come in and do it for them! Others should be complaining also; this is our community and we are left in the dark because of this race for one corporation to eat the next one! It's no wonder that the got the date wrong!

PS Did the Record say how many jobs were lost?
LOL it's a pretty shoddy article overall. I think they got the 1991 date from the Wikipedia article on the Stroud Mall (at least I can correct Wikipedia). Gary in the Morning was claiming the Sears moved there in like 1988 but Elisa knew it was 1995. I wanted to call in but I was on the road! You'd think the PR reporter could do better than look up the news in Wikipedia. And no, they don't mention how many jobs will be lost (of course).

Old 11-09-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
LOL it's a pretty shoddy article overall. I think they got the 1991 date from the Wikipedia article on the Stroud Mall (at least I can correct Wikipedia). Gary in the Morning was claiming the Sears moved there in like 1988 but Elisa knew it was 1995. I wanted to call in but I was on the road! You'd think the PR reporter could do better than look up the news in Wikipedia. And no, they don't mention how many jobs will be lost (of course).
I have no idea why anybody buys the paper. They should not be in business with the product they sell; it isn't worth the money.

However; I think that all printed newspapers might be past their prime. I just wish that we had some online news in our area with good reporting. Let the Record sell their papers to those that need something to light their wood burners!

Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
The Sears at the Stroud Mall was not on the list of stores scheduled to be closed!!

Old 11-10-2018, 01:32 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
I loved the thick Sears catalogs I had when I grew up. I also had a Herter's and JC Whitney and all were my 'dream' books. ....

But they wasted their competitive advantage. They could have been the very first Amazon because it is not that difficult to switch from mail order catalog to on line sales. My feeling was they were over confident and lacked good leadership like many of our corporations today....

Sears was a major partner in one of the pioneer online services...many years ago, circa 1984....well before the Internet as now known (www began in about 1989...and popular use much later) , let alone Amazon. It started as a partner in Trintex (with IBM and CBS) later called Prodigy.

Lots of tech and business history here. If you skim the info below, you will see that today's online/Internet www. required a lot of innovation, development, and investment to get to where it is.

Yes, had Sears persevered and done it well, maybe they could have been like Amazon. They would have had to drag along their (even then) huge brick and mortar investments, employees, expenses, and mind set. Not easy either.

Actually besides Amazon, you see Walmart and many others (including Sears) trying to do this today...with the now mature technology and millions of eager customers with computers and cell phones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigy_(online_service) ... formerly Trintex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania