Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Mom with two cubs in our backyard the other night. Both cubs were halfway up the tree clamoring for our bird feeder while mom kept watch. Now we have to bring the feeders in every night
Mind giving the location....doesn't have to be exact....just the general area.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 07:23 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Mom with two cubs in our backyard the other night. Both cubs were halfway up the tree clamoring for our bird feeder while mom kept watch. Now we have to bring the feeders in every night
Bears are not just nocturnal feeders; they forage night and day. Their fear of humans might keep them away for some time; but, if they are hungry enough, they will clean out your feeders in the daytime.

There is also the possibility that you could be breaking our "No Feed" law for bears by not taking the feeders down when you know that bear are in the area. I doubt that the law would be enforced; but you never know. Considering how expensive some of the better bird feeders are; it is wise to remove them as quick as possible. Supposedly bear can smell one teaspoon of black oily sunflower seeds one mile away.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:37 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Bears are not just nocturnal feeders; they forage night and day. Their fear of humans might keep them away for some time; but, if they are hungry enough, they will clean out your feeders in the daytime.

There is also the possibility that you could be breaking our "No Feed" law for bears by not taking the feeders down when you know that bear are in the area. I doubt that the law would be enforced; but you never know. Considering how expensive some of the better bird feeders are; it is wise to remove them as quick as possible. Supposedly bear can smell one teaspoon of black oily sunflower seeds one mile away.
I always carry some black oily sunflower seed to scatter as I drive out of the neighborhood

Old 05-12-2018, 07:51 AM

369 posts, read 325,673 times
After several drought years. Bears have become desperate here and once they learn about pet food/garbage cans/or discover an orchard they become a danger to people.
It is illegal to leave garbage outside here unless it is in a bear proof dumpster, commercial or residential except for the prescribed window for pick up.
Just last week enforcement was stepped up by authorizing animal control (dog catcher) to issue fines.
Feel sorry for the critters. I remember the entertainment of watching bears at the town dump in Old Forge as a child. A case could be made for feeding them at prescribed stations. Otherwise their days are numbered.
Jim

Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 AM

342 posts, read 798,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Mind giving the location....doesn't have to be exact....just the general area.....
West end

Old 05-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Well since I am taking them in I'm not too worried. Not trying to keep them near my house. We had a neighborhood one a while back but he became a nuisance bear so the state wildlife commission removed him

Old 05-12-2018, 10:07 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:
West end
Well those must be the ones that we were told about in our area up by Blue Ridge Winery.....

Old 05-12-2018, 03:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Well since I am taking them in I'm not too worried. Not trying to keep them near my house. We had a neighborhood one a while back but he became a nuisance bear so the state wildlife commission removed him
What people do not realize is that feeding bear can lead to their destruction. They only get three chances. Our Game Commission will only play the 'catch and release' game two times - the third time is catch and euthanize. The GC will tag one ear each of the two times they catch nuisance bears; then they run out of patience and ears.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
What people do not realize is that feeding bear can lead to their destruction. They only get three chances. Our Game Commission will only play the 'catch and release' game two times - the third time is catch and euthanize. The GC will tag one ear each of the two times they catch nuisance bears; then they run out of patience and ears.
This mom was not tagged.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Well those must be the ones that we were told about in our area up by Blue Ridge Winery.....
Theres a few sets out there that I know of. Just over friends house last night and they have a mama and 3 cubs over by burger hollow. We've got a mama and 2 cubs south of fish and pay lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania