Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 02:26 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,797 times

Advertisements

You could check out Valley Stream in Mountain Top. You would have to get off of 81 at exit 159 to get there

https://www.umh.com/community/valley-stream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 02:31 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,006,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I drive to Drums from Wilkes Barre and no way is great. I can take 81 but the overpass around mile 160 is treacherous as well as the road to 309 of off exit 155 is sometimes impassable in bad weather. 309 south of Mountain Top has a huge hill which can also be a no go in the bad weather plus the mountain steep hill right of off Blackman street.

People have been stranded numerous times on 81 in many spots, it is never certain and recently the mountain top hill was closed for hours in a storm and people sat there.

Going to Harvey's Lake will not be any easier in bad weather and Bear Creek has no rentals and a steep hill up 115.

Great info, again, TY, Chef. I wanted to experience something different than city life, but maybe I'll just take a rental near the mall to make life easier. I'm from the area originally, but haven't lived here since 12, so have no idea what road navigation is like.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
My First thought is just stay right near there and get a place in Wilkeswood

Wilkeswood Apartments - Wilkeswood - Wilkes Barre - PA

You'll get your own spot and be close to your job, shopping etc.

I see you did mention not wanting to be in a place like this but I'm really not thinking there is something too easy in a winter commute out of the city.

As you say, probably going to be easier to stay as close as possible. I missed this post, so will check into it, thx.

Quote:
You could check out Valley Stream in Mountain Top. You would have to get off of 81 at exit 159 to get there

https://www.umh.com/community/valley-stream

Emailed them, although it's further out. Maybe they'll reply on Tues. I got conflicting info on availability... some sites said yes, others no.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,145,522 times
I would highly recommend staying away from Craigslist for anything.....too many creeps advertising on there.....just my 2 cents....

Old 09-01-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I would highly recommend staying away from Craigslist for anything.....too many creeps advertising on there.....just my 2 cents....

TY. I do, Dave. Haven't used it since '14. I've had a few oddball experiences & heard a few dangerous stories from others. I'm good at finding apts, using the large apt sites or stoping into large complexes, if driving by. Once settled & familiar with a 'hood, it's safer to search for out of the way places or individual landlords rather than huge communities.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:23 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
I drive to Drums from Wilkes Barre and no way is great. I can take 81 but the overpass around mile 160 is treacherous as well as the road to 309 of off exit 155 is sometimes impassable in bad weather. 309 south of Mountain Top has a huge hill which can also be a no go in the bad weather plus the mountain steep hill right of off Blackman street.

People have been stranded numerous times on 81 in many spots, it is never certain and recently the mountain top hill was closed for hours in a storm and people sat there.

Going to Harvey's Lake will not be any easier in bad weather and Bear Creek has no rentals and a steep hill up 115.
Rt. 115 can be dicey in the winter. I know a couple of people who slid across the road on the way down and hoped that the guard rail would hold until emergency services showed up.

Is there anything more exciting than sliding across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic?

Old 09-02-2019, 12:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Rt. 115 can be dicey in the winter. I know a couple of people who slid across the road on the way down and hoped that the guard rail would hold until emergency services showed up.

Is there anything more exciting than sliding across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic?
That is why I recommended using the Earth program. They will be working at about 750 feet above sea level and many of the surrounding communities are close to 1500 to 2000 feet above sea level - big difference. That is why people slide down hills or cannot make their way up a hill.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is why I recommended using the Earth program. They will be working at about 750 feet above sea level and many of the surrounding communities are close to 1500 to 2000 feet above sea level - big difference. That is why people slide down hills or cannot make their way up a hill.

Why is this? Don't they plow the roads well enough or quickly enough? I lived in CO with much higher elevations & treacherous mountain roads (meaning windy, sharp turns, very high hills), but since the roads are plowed quickly, you never drive the roads thinking you're taking your life in your hands.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Why is this? Don't they plow the roads well enough or quickly enough? I lived in CO with much higher elevations & treacherous mountain roads (meaning windy, sharp turns, very high hills), but since the roads are plowed quickly, you never drive the roads thinking you're taking your life in your hands.
Our State can be very lax clearing our roads. My PennDOT District 5 is terrible. I don't know about your area in WB. Recently our State had times with motorist stuck on roads for many long hours; sometimes even days.

I know that you have considerably higher elevations in CO; however, on the East Coast, we can still have some very steep grades. When you combine that with roads that are not cleaned quick and you can have problems. My comment so far are simply trying to help you chose the easiest path form your apartment to work and back. If your a pro winter driver; you can ignore them. I used to drive 100,000 miles a year and I am now very happy with a mile and a half commute to work!

Old 09-02-2019, 07:43 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,797 times
My area of Luzerne County is usually pretty good but it's still no guarantee depending on the conditions. I even noticed that they are pretty regular in salting and plowing a back road I sometimes take off of 437 named Honey Hole Rd. I actually have considered taking that way in the snow more than the highways 81 or 309. Sometimes I think the more dangerous part of driving in snow is interaction with the other cars which I get way more of if I take the highways. I think around here they just only have so many trucks for so many miles of road. If it's coming down hard and fast they can't keep up with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania