Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times

Advertisements

As the title states, Blue Ridge is killing me. However, I need internet and phone. Could I go with Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, etc. and keep blue ridge internet? Verizon doesn't have FIOS in Tamiment yet or I would go with them and some form of Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. I am all over the place and need direction on how I can cut my bill in half at least for tv watching. Don't like that blue ridge pretty much cut out Philly programming for NYC programming. I want a mixture of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 02:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
quiet, I have Comcast, (grrr) and I have been waffling for the last year about cutting the cable. For the past three weeks, I have been ignoring the TV for hours every day while doing jigsaw puzzles on line and reading in my Kindle and once in a while dusting.

I'm doing my best to ignore TV until I think there may be something worthwhile. I did watch a documentary the other day about the Donner party and it held my attention. Other than that, the TV, when it's on, is basically a night light.

I do have Netflix independent of the cable company but one has to wade through much that is of no interest to me that I lose patience trying to find something to watch. Oh, woe is us.

Remembering back to B.TV., when we sat at the kitchen table and listened to the radio until it was time for bed. Saturday night we went to the movies. What was cooler than lying in bed and listening to the baseball game turned low. And now we don't even have to move off the sofa/couch/davenport/chesterfield (your choice) to watch and we have the audacity to complain.

I can only sympathize with you and tell you that soon there will be a revolution and everybody will have Netflix or roku or hulu or Prime and the cable companies will be scrambling to make up lost revenue. Power to the People!

Old 10-15-2019, 02:35 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Don't like that blue ridge pretty much cut out Philly programming for NYC programming. I want a mixture of both.
They cut out all NYC stations on mine (Stroudsburg). The only Philly station I get anymore is ABC 6 (WPVI I believe).

But it's not Blue Ridge Cable doing that. When a local (Scranton) affiliate demands it, the cable carrier must drop an out-of-market affiliate. We went thru that years ago when they dropped WNYW (Fox 5) and Giants fans had a fit!

Old 10-15-2019, 07:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
You can use antenna for local channels, it's actually superior quality to cable as long as you get reception.

If you don't want/need cable news or sports check out Philo for TV channels. Price is hard to beat.

https://try.philo.com/

Old 10-15-2019, 07:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

I can only sympathize with you and tell you that soon there will be a revolution and everybody will have Netflix or roku or hulu or Prime and the cable companies will be scrambling to make up lost revenue. Power to the People!

Comcast already has their own service implemented, the only thing they need to do is stop offering "cable TV" and move to pure internet service. If you subscribe to Comcast cable TV you can pretty watch anything you want anywhere.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/

Just login with your email and password.

You can also login directly to most of those channels. e.g. You can login into Music Choice and stream audio anywhere.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:12 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
My TV died this year, so I bought a Vizio which was loaded with icons across the top of the screen. One of them was Pluto TV which is free and has many programs. Netflix was on there, too, and I pay for that.

There's life after cable.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:28 AM

599 posts, read 498,230 times
I left the Poconos a few years back, and was shocked to find that, after a few negotiations, I'm paying a bit over half of what BRC was robbing me per month, now that I use Comcast. I had BR for less than $80 a month, and put it on a vacation hold for a few months. I got back, restarted service and got hit with a $146 bill. They simply refused to negotiate, and I refused to pay. Their attitude was, "we nearly doubled your bill because we can, *********, you have no choice but to pay it". They were wrong. Thirty years as a customer, and I dropped their cable converter and remote of, at their office. That was the end of BR cable and internet for me.

My son has a friend who is a BRC installer. He said that the cable business is dying a slow death, but they have a huge and captive audience for internet, so they will be just fine as long as their customers have no viable options. At some point, satellite net will be viable, or other options will be available, and all of these crap cable companies are toast. I can't wait.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
They cut out all NYC stations on mine (Stroudsburg). The only Philly station I get anymore is ABC 6 (WPVI I believe).

But it's not Blue Ridge Cable doing that. When a local (Scranton) affiliate demands it, the cable carrier must drop an out-of-market affiliate. We went thru that years ago when they dropped WNYW (Fox 5) and Giants fans had a fit!
The bolded statement is surprising. We don't even get WPVI 6. No philly stations at all. We used to get the one independent Allentown station(WFMZ 69) but now that's gone as well. We have WNEP for local programming and that's it. WBRE? Gone! It seems the New Yaukers in my area have spoken because we have all NYC stations here. I don't TV watch too much during the week but on weekends I try to watch what I can. BRC is just too expensive. I have been debating for a few years to cut the cord. I am going to look into philo. I already have Netflix and Prime so I have to prune this tree(cable) until I find the least expensive fruit. Trying to keep internet but I am going to have to figure out something to balance this entertainment budget.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Comcast already has their own service implemented, the only thing they need to do is stop offering "cable TV" and move to pure internet service. If you subscribe to Comcast cable TV you can pretty watch anything you want anywhere.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/

Just login with your email and password.

You can also login directly to most of those channels. e.g. You can login into Music Choice and stream audio anywhere.
Wait a minute! I can get this service in my area-? Or is this territorial? Never knew they offered service in the Poconos.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My TV died this year, so I bought a Vizio which was loaded with icons across the top of the screen. One of them was Pluto TV which is free and has many programs. Netflix was on there, too, and I pay for that.

There's life after cable.
That's a smart tv which I am definitely considering. Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania