Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:44 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
some very good recipes on here...I like the sound of the Greek Stew, although I'm a carnivore & I'd add meat.

Does anyone have any recipes for a cream of vegetable soup? I had it at the Stroudsmoor & it was yummy. I had only had cream of broccli or mushroom up to that point, but having many veggies in one cream soup was fantastic. Anyone?

I've got a recipe I've made before & it tastes great!!

I use a chardonnay wine in it to give it an added layer of flavor & it's a good excuse to polish off the rest of the bottle since it's open already!!

Creamed Vegetable Soup

1 leek washed thoruoghly
2 carrots
1/2 a rutabaga
2 turnips
1 onion
1-2 stalks celery
2 potatoes
2 cups fresh spinach washed thoroughly
3 tbsp butter
1 qt water or vegetable stock
1/4 tbsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup half & half
1/2 cup chardonnay wine
1/2 tsp white pepper

Peel & clean vegetables & then chop them into small cubes.

Saute vegetables in butter in large pot over low heat (adding extra butter if needed). Vegetables should be cooked just until they're shiny & not brown. Add water & wine & bring to boil, reduce heat & cover. Simmer 20-30 minutes.

Remove from heat and pour through strainer to separate broth and vegetables, reserving both. Set vegetables aside to cool slightly but return broth to pot. When vegetables are cooled puree in blender.

Return vegetable puree to broth & bring to a boil. Add salt and nutmeg.
Boil 15 minutes & then stir in the half & half & pepper.
Return just to a boil & then immediately remove from heat and serve.

A good soup for the Fall & Winter!!

Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
george tried your chick pea curry recipe.... very good. added some chopped beef ,carrots and hot sauce.....

Old 07-28-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
george tried your chick pea curry recipe.... very good. added some chopped beef ,carrots and hot sauce.....
It's good AND good FOR you!!

Hot sauce huh??? You're a man after my own heart!!!

Mo' hottah...mo' bettah!!!

Last edited by Jungle George; 09-17-2008 at 07:28 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 AM

yep hot sauce and some kind of animal. ha ha . after 2 years of being a vegan i fell off the wagon and realized man didnt claw his way to the top of the food chain to eat carrots. ha ha

Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
yep hot sauce and some kind of animal. ha ha . after 2 years of being a vegan i fell off the wagon and realized man didnt claw his way to the top of the food chain to eat carrots. ha ha
LOL!! Being a vegan is TOO far to the right for me!! They call me a "lacto-ovo" (among other things...).

Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM

good thing my wifes not a vegan too, i cant imagine she would like it not being able to eat things with a head. ha ha ha

Old 07-29-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
good thing my wifes not a vegan too, i cant imagine she would like it not being able to eat things with a head. ha ha ha
I gotta GREAT recipe for THAT!!! Don't need no slow-cooker either!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 AM

I found a great recipe for home-made mustard with some "attitude" & made it & BOY is it good!!

Figured I'd share it with y'all...

Dill & Apricot Mustard

1/4 cup dry mustard powder
1 cup whole yellow mustard seed
1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
1 cup warm water
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
3/4 cup coarsely chopped dill leaves

Mix together mustard powder & seed, apricots, water & vinegar in a bowl. Cover & let sit overnight.

Put mixture in a food processor, add salt & dill & process 'til seeds begin to break down & mustard becomes "spreadable". (There will still be some whole seeds..)

Refrigerate & enjoy!!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'm about as much of a cook as a pet rock (thank God for a better half with culinary talents), but I just wanted to poke my head into this thread to thank everyone who has participated thus far for reaffirming my belief that NEPA truly is a place I should stay in to raise my family. The camaraderie being fostered amongst you complete strangers on this thread gives me a gushy, fuzzy feeling inside (or is that just the digestion of the greasy potato pancakes from the local church picnic that my parents brought home for me that I just snacked on after work?)

Y'all are great! Keep posting! With any luck maybe "flash-in-the-pan" poster I LOVE PA, who made her first public appearance since March, will come onto this thread as well to give us all a much-welcomed hello!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm about as much of a cook as a pet rock (thank God for a better half with culinary talents), but I just wanted to poke my head into this thread to thank everyone who has participated thus far for reaffirming my belief that NEPA truly is a place I should stay in to raise my family. The camaraderie being fostered amongst you complete strangers on this thread gives me a gushy, fuzzy feeling inside (or is that just the digestion of the greasy potato pancakes from the local church picnic that my parents brought home for me that I just snacked on after work?)

Y'all are great! Keep posting! With any luck maybe "flash-in-the-pan" poster I LOVE PA, who made her first public appearance since March, will come onto this thread as well to give us all a much-welcomed hello!
If it's one thing I've found in my life Paul, it's that food brings people together!! We all tend to "leave our baggage at the door" when it comes to cooking!! Well, except for the "purists" who have to cook 1 way or the highway!! AND!! With your contribution of "Burnt Poptarts In Smoking Toaster" I don't think you're a hopeless cause....you just need a little "hands-on" cooking training!!

I just wish more NEPA folks would post recipes!!! I feel like I'm turning this thread into a "Florida Tropical" recipe thread trying to keep it going....

Oh well....BACK TO THE RECIPES!!!

Now that it's blueberry season coming up in NEPA a great recipe for y'all...

Jungle George's Blueberry Custard Pie

2 cups blueberries...washed & drained
1 tbsp flour
3 eggs-beaten
1 cup brown sugar
1 baked pie crust
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 small dash ground cloves

Preheat oven to 425. Put the blueberries in pie crust.

In a bowl, mix flour & sugar & add evaporated milk & keep stirring 'til it's smooth with no lumps.
Whisk in the eggs, vanilla & cloves 'til it's blended in. Pour mixture over blueberries.
Bake 15 minutes & then reduce the oven heat to 350.

Bake 35 minutes longer, take out of the oven & let cool.

This pie is best refrigerated before cutting...
Enjoy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania