Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 08:47 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

In these times of home invasions and random acts of violence do you really think that will stop them?? Nice joke but won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 09:41 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
LOL when I was a kid in suburban NJ we had signs on the gates leading to the backyard that said "Warning: Security Dog; Do Not Enter" and a picture of a Doberman. The Public Service guy wouldn't go around back to read the meters! (We had an Irish setter).

Jesse Ventura, former governor of Minnesota once said that they had a sign saying "We don't dial 911".

I think these kinds of signs can deter casual criminals just looking for drug money. Professional burglars wouldn't come to our house anyway.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:01 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
LOL when I was a kid in suburban NJ we had signs on the gates leading to the backyard that said "Warning: Security Dog; Do Not Enter" and a picture of a Doberman. The Public Service guy wouldn't go around back to read the meters! (We had an Irish setter).

Jesse Ventura, former governor of Minnesota once said that they had a sign saying "We don't dial 911".

I think these kinds of signs can deter casual criminals just looking for drug money. Professional burglars wouldn't come to our house anyway.
I do think that there are things one can do without hiring the 'professionals'. In at work we have some really great sensors that turn on the lights when you enter a room. Some are hard to see unless you really look good. Something like that can discourage people that break in at night. Even turning on a radio or TV can be a distraction to those that enter illegally. It makes them wonder if somebody is home and they could easily choose another target.

Many devices are now linked to your cellphones and tell if they are too hot or malfunctioning. You no longer need the security experts for that assistance.

Good neighbors also help. Especially if they buy into our favorite saying today: See Something, Say Something. Of course many do not take the time to meet the neighbors and, in some cases, one might be better off if we don't.

They even make devices that sound like a large dog barking when the sensors are tripped and you don't even have to feed them or pick up the poop!

Old 09-12-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
In these times of home invasions and random acts of violence do you really think that will stop them?? Nice joke but won't work.
In many cases you are right. Homeowners do have one advantage; you know your house and its strengths and weakness or you should. You know if you have a hard wall you can take refuge behind. Granted most walls do not stop bullets. But there are some houses with masonry walls. Many homes have foam mattresses or have closets with suitcases of boxes full of clothing. Anything that can slow down or stop bullets gives the homeowner an advantage over those that trespass with the intent to rob or kill.

Your area and farther to the west of the County are good examples of why this information is important. You don't have your own police force and you rely on our State Police to respond. Sometimes it can take anywhere from fifteen minutes to three quarters of an hour. That is a long time to wait for assistance. So it is always better to have a back up plan.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
.....always better to have a back up plan.

that's what I'd rather and do have....the one item I don't have is a firearm and after what I've been through since March this year I don't think it would be a good idea if I had one in my hands considering.....

Old 09-12-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
that's what I'd rather and do have....the one item I don't have is a firearm and after what I've been through since March this year I don't think it would be a good idea if I had one in my hands considering.....
I have always had firearms. I have also shot on teams for six years. The very last thing that anybody wants to do is to use a firearm against another human being. That is what we have taught and were taught to never point an unloaded or loaded gun at anybody ever, unless it is absolutely the very last alternative. That said it has always given me piece of mind that I do have to means to protect myself and my loved ones. Of course there is always a chance that my weapons could be used against me. But the piece of mind I have enjoyed for all these years would still make it worth it. The idea of being totally defenseless just goes against the grain.

All of that said, if you would be uncomfortable with a weapon or you have had stress and experienced the loss of a loved one, it is probably a good idea that you don't get one. Or at least spend some time at a range with qualified instructors before you would consider buying one.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Or at least spend some time at a range with qualified instructors before you would consider buying one.

Have thought about it.....

Old 09-13-2020, 07:12 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
Quote:
I've seen signs like that before. I've always thought that all it's doing is advertising that you may have guns available in the house. I'm not really sure that's a good idea to advertise something that thieves specifically look for.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I've seen signs like that before. I've always thought that all it's doing is advertising that you may have guns available in the house. I'm not really sure that's a good idea to advertise something that thieves specifically look for.
You could be right. We bought one many years ago and never used it because of that argument. It is an attractive, well made, metal sign and good for a few laughs inside the house!

Old 09-18-2020, 08:18 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,766,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Many gun owners have gun safes, even small ones that only hold a couple of pistols. Avid gun owners/collectors often have very large safes that are too heavy to move and are hard to break into. We have one that weighs about 500 pounds. In fact since we'll be moving across country, he's selling the gun safe because the sheer amount of work involved in moving it. It's bolted into the floor as well.

Only one firearm in our home is ever not locked in the safe during night hours. Otherwise all guns and ammo are locked away. Now I know that's not most people's policy but I'd imagine most people also don't have weapons laying around willy nilly for thieves to steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania