Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 08:57 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
And recharge once power is restored.
Solar packs/panels could take care of that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 09:53 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:

Yeah, I was thinking battery. My generator runs on propane but the thing that makes it spark is the battery. A pellet stove battery could work a feeder mechanism for a while, I would think, but maybe not for days on end. And recharge once power is restored.
While the one stove in that link is totally gravity feed, the other one uses battery and solar. Here is a quote from that link on the Edison ECO-45:

"Manufacturers say it has battery backup meaning it can be off-grid and is compatible with a PV solar panel set up, the really cool part about this one is that it ignites with solar power."

That one looks better to sit and watch it burn, while the Wiseway electric-free gravity feed pellet stove looks like it is capable of moving since it has wheels on one side. But that one needs no electricity at all.

They are both about the same output for heat: 40,000 btus compared to 45,000 btus.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:49 AM

This time they are calling for 18 to 24 inches with high winds: https://weather.com/weather/alerts/l...=KPHI&etn=0001.

The grocery stores were packed today. I saw the checkout lines inside and turned around. Hope everybody is prepared!

Old 01-31-2021, 10:40 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This time they are calling for 18 to 24 inches with high winds: https://weather.com/weather/alerts/l...=KPHI&etn=0001.

The grocery stores were packed today. I saw the checkout lines inside and turned around. Hope everybody is prepared!
I've spent decades being prepared. My mother lived, grew up in England during WWII, and my father's dad died in 1929 when he was 10 years old. Our family never ran out of anything important.

I've never lived in a place or been in the position to need to shop nearly every day. My nephew and his wife who live in Barcelona do that. They're vegan and say that they have a constant need for fresh vegetables. They'd live if they couldn't get that. They wouldn't like it, but they wouldn't starve.

Last week my sister told me that she paid stupid amounts of money for things like alcohol and toilet paper because she hadn't been paying attention. We grew up in the same house with the same parents so I'm not sure what to think about that.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:11 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I waved the white flag and called my plow guy for this storm. Not gonna try and be a hero trying to push 18 inches with a garden tractor!

Old 02-01-2021, 06:14 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Yes, it was insanity yesterday. I generally do my weekly shopping on Senior Tuesday at Shop Rite. Couldn't find a parking spot at 10 AM. Even the Cafe Section had very long lines. Give kuddos to the store for being fully stocked. Customers were very pleasant talking and letting others with fewer items get ahead of them on line.

While schools are closed, the plows came around at 6:30 AM. We live across from Tobyhanna State Gamelands. A hour later it looked like it had never been plowed!

Old 02-01-2021, 08:20 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
I waved the white flag and called my plow guy for this storm. Not gonna try and be a hero trying to push 18 inches with a garden tractor!

I second that! Not a spring chicken and my kids flew the coop. So... I called a guy last night to reserve his services for the early evening. Even as I type this, the snow just keeps falling.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, it was insanity yesterday. I generally do my weekly shopping on Senior Tuesday at Shop Rite. Couldn't find a parking spot at 10 AM. Even the Cafe Section had very long lines. Give kuddos to the store for being fully stocked. Customers were very pleasant talking and letting others with fewer items get ahead of them on line.

While schools are closed, the plows came around at 6:30 AM. We live across from Tobyhanna State Gamelands. A hour later it looked like it had never been plowed!
So far I have plowed my driveway three times and I expect to plow it at least one or two more times. I worry about the high wind we are supposed to have. Make sure everybody charges their cellphones in case of power outages. Right now there are now power outages showing on the PP&L outage map: https://omap.prod.pplweb.com/omap/. That is amazing, but we have not had the high winds.

I walked into ShopRite about 11:00. I was going to pickup a prescription and do some last minute shopping. Fortunately there was nobody at the pharmacy and I got my prescription. But I took one look at those café 'quick lines' and decided against doing any store shopping.

My job gave me hazard 'snow' pay last night so that was a pleasant surprise. I was also very happy with my Subaru this morning when it walked right up my 18° grade driveway with the all weather tires. I did not want to take the plow truck to work because I would have to plow up my driveway instead of down the driveway and I did not know how much would be out there at 7:00 AM.

I still worry about the drifting with the high winds. Snow loves to drift right into my driveway. So even thought I am currently 'clear' that can change when the winds pickup.

The 'future radar' is showing a little break in the storm that we might get this evening. Of course that could change.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:45 AM

25 posts, read 17,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We grew up in the same house with the same parents so I'm not sure what to think about that.

Is your old mailman still living. Might be time for a talk.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:59 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Is your old mailman still living. Might be time for a talk.
It couldn't have been the plumber because she's not at all handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania