Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

GROWL! Did anyone else get caught up in the three traffic jams today in Northern Luzerne County? I-81 Northbound between Wilkes-Barre and Pittston, as usual, was down to one lane for something or other, causing a snarl. Also down to one lane was the Cross-Valley Expressway northbound between Exit 2 and Exit 4, causing another snarl. Finally, Highway 315 here in the Pittstons is down to one lane southbound, casuing a 1/2-mile long traffic backlog stretching from the intersection of the 315 @ Oak/Keystone northwards to near the Quality Inns. Ordinarily I don't mind sitting in traffic because I know it's a necessary evil to help keep our roads properly maintained, but must all of these projects be done at the same time in such close proximity? I tip my hat to PennDOT for doing such a good job, but to have three such snarls within ten miles of each other is a bit drastic, don't you think? Highway 315 resembled an Atlanta freeway today, and that's sad considering it's in a town of just 4,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,298 times
I got caught in four different construction zones on three different interstates today!!

Going to my son's school on I-380 south, but not bad...
On my way to W-B, again, slowed down by roaming road work and the construction zone on I-81 South. More work on Route 115 that I got by on the way to physical therapy.

As I got off onto I-84, more work!! Was able to bypass most of that by using Route 435.

The worst was on I-81 North, just where ScranBarre said. Dead stop for 15 minutes; crawled along after that. Lord, I just wanted to get home after all that today!

I know that on the good-weather days PA DOT tries to get a lot of the work finished, especially if it's during the week, so as to not tie up roads on a Friday. But boy, it sure does unnerve me when a simple 30 minute drive gets doubled because of the orange barrels!!

But I guess we would be griping if the roads were a pothole-riddled mess too. Can't have it both ways, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
GROWL! Did anyone else get caught up in the three traffic jams today in Northern Luzerne County? I-81 Northbound between Wilkes-Barre and Pittston, as usual, was down to one lane for something or other, causing a snarl. Also down to one lane was the Cross-Valley Expressway northbound between Exit 2 and Exit 4, causing another snarl. Finally, Highway 315 here in the Pittstons is down to one lane southbound, casuing a 1/2-mile long traffic backlog stretching from the intersection of the 315 @ Oak/Keystone northwards to near the Quality Inns. Ordinarily I don't mind sitting in traffic because I know it's a necessary evil to help keep our roads properly maintained, but must all of these projects be done at the same time in such close proximity? I tip my hat to PennDOT for doing such a good job, but to have three such snarls within ten miles of each other is a bit drastic, don't you think? Highway 315 resembled an Atlanta freeway today, and that's sad considering it's in a town of just 4,000.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Well Monday we could see route 80 all backed up from the Bartonsville/Tannersville area.....miles this way and that way. This was not the day of the 8 hour stop in both directions due to the trailer truck accident. Whew, Eight hours people had to sit, and I think that was Sunday...........
Yes, it is a real terrible mess out there, but not just your way........down this way too!
The longest I ever sat on a stopped road was on Route 80 going to the fair to see Randy Travis........Never got there on time.......sat still for FIVE hours. Totally stopped.
I always wonder what Moms do with babies in those seats.....I can not imagine.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:23 PM

I know road construction is a necessary evil, and I don't want to get the reputation of a PennDOT basher, but does anyone else think some of these back-ups could be averted if PennDOT would put up orange signs saying "Right Lane Closed Two Miles Ahead", "Right Lane Closed One Mile Ahead", etc.? Here with the Highway 315 rush-hour back-up, there was just a sign that said "Thru-Traffic Stay Left" RIGHT BEFORE the lane closure. The first time today I came across this I almost hit a barrier because a tractor-trailer in front of me in the right-hand lane suddenly merged left, and I couldn't see that the road was closed RIGHT THERE until he was out of my line of sight! Since traffic was already backing up pretty far, those far back had no clue that they would have to merge up ahead, causing a potentially dangerous situation.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
There's going to be a big layoff at PennDot soon.

They invented a shovel that stands by itself.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:50 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i like the signs that say "SLOW MEN WORKING"

Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i like the signs that say "SLOW MEN WORKING"
LOL! Never took notice of that one. But the way things are going on the roadways, I'll have plenty of time to look for it.

"Orange barrels, orange barrels everywhere I see! Orange barrels, orange barrels, looking back at me!

Look at Larry, Darryl and Darryl, standing next to the orange barrels, in their orange vest apparel, just looking back at me!"

Watch the video and listen!

YouTube - Orange Barrels

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Well one lane of 80 is closed this morning near Blakeslee. A Fed EX ( double) truck is on its side......something about some unsafe cargo, sounded like paint?
It is so hard to drive just about anywhere lately..........so many long delays.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Well one lane of 80 is closed this morning near Blakeslee. A Fed EX ( double) truck is on its side......something about some unsafe cargo, sounded like paint?
It is so hard to drive just about anywhere lately..........so many long delays.
Traffic has just been plain awful over the past two weeks up in my area too. Try attempting to turn left out of a parking lot onto Highway 315 with how backed-up the traffic congestion has been. Unless you get a few good samaritans who leave a "gap" in the line for you to get out, you're out of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania