Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

As the weather improves I'm noticing that my runs seem to be rather dull. I don't enjoy listening to an iPod while running, but I do think it would be great to have someone to chat with beside me as I run, as well as someone to keep me motivated and for me to reciprocate with providing fitness guidance and motivation. Most of my friends, bless their hearts, are, as Comedy Central's Gabriel Iglesias would say "fluffy," so this leaves me as the lone wolf who enjoys distance running (6-8 miles per workout).

I just posted an ad under the Activity Partners section of our local CraigsList, but I'm not holding my breath that someone will take me up on my offer. If there are any others out there who enjoy distance running, please let me know if you'd like a partner. If you happen to be a marathon runner who would like to coach me a bit as I consider training for this year's Steamtown Marathon, I'll make it worth your while with free lunches, gift cards, or something else that we both deem to be appropriate compensation for the mentoring.

If this generates enough interest, then it may also be nice to form perhaps an "NEPA Distance Running Society" or something like that. I run in a variety of different environments. My most dangerous route is along congested Highway 315 from my home northwards along Route 11 into Moosic and back, and my most scenic route may just be the side streets of West Pittston. Recently I've fallen in love with the Wyoming Valley Levee System, parking my car at the lot near the Midway Shopping Center in Wyoming and then running south atop the levee to the end of River Street in Forty Fort and then back---a trek of perhaps 6.5 miles. Lake Scranton is another personal favorite of mine, and I also hope to try trail-running this summer at Frances Slocum and/or Lackawanna State Parks.

Anybody intrigued?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,276,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As the weather improves I'm noticing that my runs seem to be rather dull. I don't enjoy listening to an iPod while running, but I do think it would be great to have someone to chat with beside me as I run, as well as someone to keep me motivated and for me to reciprocate with providing fitness guidance and motivation. Most of my friends, bless their hearts, are, as Comedy Central's Gabriel Iglesias would say "fluffy," so this leaves me as the lone wolf who enjoys distance running (6-8 miles per workout).

I just posted an ad under the Activity Partners section of our local CraigsList, but I'm not holding my breath that someone will take me up on my offer. If there are any others out there who enjoy distance running, please let me know if you'd like a partner. If you happen to be a marathon runner who would like to coach me a bit as I consider training for this year's Steamtown Marathon, I'll make it worth your while with free lunches, gift cards, or something else that we both deem to be appropriate compensation for the mentoring.

If this generates enough interest, then it may also be nice to form perhaps an "NEPA Distance Running Society" or something like that. I run in a variety of different environments. My most dangerous route is along congested Highway 315 from my home northwards along Route 11 into Moosic and back, and my most scenic route may just be the side streets of West Pittston. Recently I've fallen in love with the Wyoming Valley Levee System, parking my car at the lot near the Midway Shopping Center in Wyoming and then running south atop the levee to the end of River Street in Forty Fort and then back---a trek of perhaps 6.5 miles. Lake Scranton is another personal favorite of mine, and I also hope to try trail-running this summer at Frances Slocum and/or Lackawanna State Parks.

Anybody intrigued?
I'd be glad to join you, but i'd probably make it ten yards,, and fall on my face, with a heart attack!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I'd be glad to join you, but i'd probably make it ten yards,, and fall on my face, with a heart attack!
Then I could give you mouth-to-mouth!

(Image Courtesy of ImageShack)

Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,276,882 times
Quote:
Then I could give you mouth-to-mouth!

(Image Courtesy of ImageShack)
It appears you like ***** after all!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
It appears you like ***** after all!!!
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,207 times
Quote:

Anybody intrigued?

Nope, can't run with ya, but what i need is a personal trainer to keep my ass motivated.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,131,008 times
Quote:

Anybody intrigued?
Hello Dwight! My wife is a runner,she would be interested(I also run) I'll have her contact you.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Hello Dwight! My wife is a runner,she would be interested(I also run) I'll have her contact you.
Thanks. Where do you both like to run? I've walked those steep hills in Clarks Summit before (on the other side of State Street from you heading towards Clarks Green), and WOW did I ever feel the burn! LOL!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,464,026 times
Isn't springtime great? I used to run a lot in CA. Used to live near a beautiful park with redwoods across the way. Even better when the sun went behind the mountain for a cool evening run. Haven't done it much since living here though. I'd love to join you if I lived closer, ScranBarre...then again, I usually only ran a couple of miles at a time. Nowadays, it's more of a walk/run...and dare I admit, a bit older. Still, it's great exercise. It's the fastest way to loose weight.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
Isn't springtime great? I used to run a lot in CA. Used to live near a beautiful park with redwoods across the way. Even better when the sun went behind the mountain for a cool evening run. Haven't done it much since living here though. I'd love to join you if I lived closer, ScranBarre...then again, I usually only ran a couple of miles at a time. Nowadays, it's more of a walk/run...and dare I admit, a bit older. Still, it's great exercise. It's the fastest way to loose weight.
Oh I couldn't agree more. In middle school I was become quite pudgy and had a slumped posture as a result. I began running during high school to the point where I was on the verge of having six-pack abs. I then became lazy again, but recently I've returned to my prime physical condition. I find that running is the best cure for what ails you as far as depression is concerned. I feel like heading out right now for a run, but I have work shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania