Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times

Advertisements

WVIA PRESENTS | CROSS ROADS OF THE POCONO MOUNTAINS

"An inside look at the mountainous four-county Pocono Region"

Airs May 12th @ 7p.m.
May 15th @ 8 p.m.
May 18th @ 7 p.m.
May 24th @ 10 p.m.
May 25th @ 4 p.m.
May 26th @ 7 p.m.

"Cross roads of the Pocono Mountains is a three part original documentary series produced by WVIA that explores many of the region's vacation destinations, examines its history and considers what the future may hold for Monroe, Carbon, Pike and Wayne Counties..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 08:54 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Pocono, thanks for posting this. I would love to see what the future holds.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times
Yes, I think it will be an interesting program, and a way for some of our posters interested in relocating here to learn more about these four counties.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:45 AM

I agree Pocono, also for people like us that are living here and want to be updated of what is going on and what changes are in the future. Back in the 1970's when we had our summer house - there was talk of Tocks Island. I often imagine how that would have changed Dingman's now if it went through. This area is having such rapid growth and knowing what is on the horizon is important.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Well I hate to be blunt, but being annexed as part of the New York City/Long Island/Northern New Jersey Consolidated Statistical Area (CSA) is definitely part of the future in Monroe County, especially since Pike County has already been annexed into not only the metropolitan area but also the official media market (hence why WNEP, WBRE, WYOU, etc. rarely cover Pike County now and shouldn't be expected to do so any longer unless they're feeling particularly altruistic). With growth comes both opportunity and risk. The Stroudsburg Area has apparently been doing a poor job in managing this growth judging by all of the complaints on here and elsewhere about gangs, drugs, traffic congestion, sprawl, etc. so let's hope Pike County has better long-range planning initiatives in place than Monroe County did in the 1980s-1990s.

It never ceases to amaze me how townships in the Poconos will rubber-stamp any and all new housing developments as they lick their chops at the promised tax revenues WITHOUT realizing that by the time that they pay for additional police officer, paid fire departments, paid EMTs, a larger DPW to plow/salt, mandatory recycling programs, wider roadways, etc. that more often than not any gains realized in terms of new property taxes are marginalized.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:27 PM

ScranBarre,
You just brought something to mind. When Janice Huff from Channel 4 does the weather they now include Dingmans Ferry and Milford, PA....years ago you never saw that. You have a point.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:24 PM

253 posts, read 997,158 times
So, if I understand correctly, if/when we build in Pike County, I'll be sitting in my house in Tink Wig and looking at News4 NY? I won't be able to get Scranton stations? Please say it ain't so..........

Old 05-10-2008, 10:06 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
So, if I understand correctly, if/when we build in Pike County, I'll be sitting in my house in Tink Wig and looking at News4 NY? I won't be able to get Scranton stations? Please say it ain't so..........
I believe you can still receive the Scranton stations, but ever since Nielsen announced that its ratings system indicated several years ago that more people in Pike County tuned into the NYC stations than to the Scranton stations for their news, the local stations have since basically washed their hands of Pike County. WNEP still covers it marginally well, but WBRE and WYOU are very heavily concentrated now in the immediate Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post

I wouldn't worry about that. I've lived in Wayne and Pike Counties for over forty years and the coverage hasn't changed. Local (Scranton/WB) stations cover the rural areas when it involves accidents/death/destruction, same as always. All of the cable companies include the local channels in their lineups, however, satellite TV (DirecTV, etc.) sometimes wants a waiver in order to get locals, which is why I am sticking with cable. Check out Blue Ridge Communication's website if you need more info.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
anyone know if this will be posted online? I'm a little far away to get WVIA's signal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania