Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,918 times

Advertisements

Please Give Me Some Feedback...........am Interested In These Areas As We Have Visited Them............which Is A More Desirable Area?......schools?......prospective Neighborhoods?.......thanks.........is There Much Summer Traffic In Any Of These Areas?.......thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 PM

125 posts, read 505,015 times
We were planning on moving up there last year also. I loved both areas. Milford is a beatiful town. The traffic does get heavy in the summer. The homes in both areas are nice. We liked Conashugh lakes Dingmans and Oak Ridge in Milford. If my husband didn't get a job offer where we are now I would have moved up in that area in a heart beat. The prices of homes vary. I know Milford area were having problems with sky rocketing electric. That is something you may want to look into. Also I heard Dingsmans schools are great. We still visit up there every year. If you need more info I can PM you some sites.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM

33 posts, read 159,834 times
I'm amazed at the interest in this small area. I don't know a lot about it but have pit-stopped there for gas and even stayed overnight a couple of times while traveling. The people were always friendly. The Milford area seems somewhat nicer than the larger town of Matamoras down the road but that does offer greater shopping opportunities, etc. Good luck to all of you. If you get tired of PA, there's always NY or NJ not too many miles ahead off of 84.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,467 times
Dingman's is more rural and less stores. Milford is still a pretty quiet town but there are things to do in Westfall (Walmart, HomeDepot and other stores).

Milford has higher taxes. Property is higher priced as well. Dingman's has more backroads and is further from I-84. As far as I know both use Delaware Valley schools which have a good reputation. DV is in Milford.

The DMV here is open 3 days a week for 6 hours a pop if that gives you any idea how quiet the town is. Summer does get "busy" but you will rarely find a traffic jam unless it is football night at DV.

Advise looking at Conasaugh Lakes, Sagamore Estates, some of the "Pocono" properties. Avoid all areas near the Delaware and near creeks unless you can find for sure that there are no flooding concerns. Avoid Marcel Lakes. If you can find out of community that is a big plus IMHO, but you will pay more. I live up in Shohola which is more rural than both Milford and Dingmans, cheaper housing and a great little elementary shool. We are 10 minutes from rte 84.

Beware many realtors here count the basement as square footage and in my travels looking for homes I found few well built homes (at least to my standards anyway) so be picky. Do a good inspection especially for mold as many homes are vacation homes and can be kept locked up for 48 weeks a year.

I would also advise looking around Western Orange County (NY), including the Minisink Valley and town of Greenville. They are very rural areas and Minisink Valley Schools are excellent. Difference is that there you might be able to get more property with your home and you are not constantly dealing with communities and their regulations.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
ditto everyone else. I grew up there, went to school there...my mother and 2 siblings still live in the area, along with some old friends. It's very nice. I personally prefer Milford, but I like small towns with a downtown area, which Dingmans does not have. Dingmans Ferry is technically Delaware Township and Dingman Township, which share the Dingmans Ferry post office. Dingmans Ferry is much larger than Milford, and much more rural. What few businesses there are, are spread out. I believe Dingman Township has more business than Delaware Township; Delaware Township is somewhat more resistant to commercial growth. Milford and Dingmans Ferry both fall under the DV school district. Dingmans has its own elementary and middle schools, but everyone goes to Westfall (just north of Milford) for high school. If you live in Dingmans, it's quite a long bus ride (35-60 minutes, depending on if you are first or last off!). Traffic in Dingmans is always non-existent...traffic in Milford does pick up in the summer but it's nothing horrible. Regardless of which town you choose, you will be able to enjoy state parks with waterfalls, the Milford "beach" off of the Delaware, the sound of crickets and sight of fireflies all summer, and plenty of snow in winter. Ah yes, Milford does a pretty good job of clearing their roads of snow in the winter, but in Dingmans, the smaller side roads often don't get cleared out until mid-morning or later (that's the tradeoff for lower taxes).

Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 PM

19 posts, read 96,950 times
I live in dingmans ferry and can say LOVE deleware Valley schools! It is cheaper than Milford but we still have the enjoyment of being close. We live in a comminity and Love it. If you like the country it is beautiful here. I do not have any flooding problems, just watch where your house is situated. It's not as bad a some people say. My husband commute to NJ and I run into Manhatten all the time for family. It's only1hour 45 min. really not that bad. I think I have it All! {Well nearlyAll} By the way, I forgot it's cheap Hear, got a beautiful 4bedroom house for 160thous. with a beautiful yard two yrs. ago. Good Luck!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,701 times
My parents live in Conashaugh Lakes and love it there, and now my husband and I are considering making the move. I had heard some bad things about some Pocono region school districts but in doing my research and talk to other people in the are this does not seem to be true of DV schools. You do need to be careful, I have heard of alot of foreclosures and then thebank sells the home "as is" and it wind up that there are many many problems. Conashaugh Lakes has a Milford address but is about 9 miles from the digmans ferry bridge. There are alos lots of new home being constructed and pre-fab homes being put up to. It is a beautiful area we spend part of each summer there and you always have deer in the back yard and wild turkeys. my parents even report a couple of bear sitting although not in the community along side the road when they were driving early in the morning.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 46,412 times
my personal feel is marcel lake estates - right over the bridge into NJ which many are flocking from NYC to cross into PA for schools, taxes, etc. we bought two lots in marcel lakes area of PA and they are upgrading with new sewars instead of septic. good luck.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,990 times
Hi everyone ! I know this post is rather old but figured I would comment hoping someone sees it and can help me. I have been in the prices of buying my first house and really liked the houses I saw in Dingmans Ferry but wanted to get a update on the area if it would be recommended or not. I have a 3 year old so I want to make sure it's safe and that the schools are good. If anyone can give me any insight I would really appreciate since I originally was looking into Bushkill but saw numerous bad reviews about crime. Thanks in advance

Old 01-19-2016, 09:04 AM

115 posts, read 163,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy3026 View Post
I originally was looking into Bushkill but saw numerous bad reviews about crime. Thanks in advance

I suppose you'd have to be more specific in what area/community this was reported. I've lived in Bushkill for some time now and had no issues, but we are closing in on the Dingmans ferry area. The further south you go the closer to East Stroudsburg so perhaps there in lies problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania